World tonight - Video

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

World tonight - Video

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:19 pm

I love Paul and he's a genius. But, that scene of him doing the comedy sketch at the organ or piano speaking German was too much. The man is out of his mind (He does this whole skit in German of a guy trying to catch a bird and it's quite bizarre and very strange).

Then, they show him editing a cartoon. And you hear McCartney doing all the voices - himself!! All MAcca voices playing frogs, chickens, birds, etc. And it's all environmental oriented.

I think the World Tonight Video demonstrates that Paul is a creative genius because he never really let go of his childhood. He isn't afraid to (he must be great with kids).

The greatest scene is him in the woods with his stick , he's like building a fire or something and he's all alone in the woods and he just stops being "paul McCartney" and just becomes normal. It's amazing how he keeps himself sane.

The man is god! (But, the accents, the voices, and the comedy is too much).
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:36 pm

You are right about the german sketch thing. He kind of lost me there.
I really do like the video though. It was cool to see him working in the studio with steve miller too. Has anyone even seen the cartoon that he was involved in?
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby shinestar » Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:12 pm

I actually bought this video I love it so much! I think all the comedy stuff is cute and clever, ditto the cartoon which I'm not sure is available in the U.S. I love his house, which I think is in Dorset, that walkway going down a little slope to get to the front door was really nice. It's always neat to see where famous people live and his homes always look so lived in, so real. You know? Like, not showplaces like some stars.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:23 am

That comedy thing he did was just to demonstrate the ridiculously old-fashioned rhythm box in that old organ. Funny as hell though. Very pythonesque.

I love the bit where he accidentally mispronounces Lenny Kravitz, only to off-handedly remark "he calls me Paul McCarthy".

"Can you take me back where I came from?"
Len

Postby mcfan » Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:39 pm

I liked the German sketch. I have the movie and I love it. I like the making of Beautiful Night best. It was the first Paul film I ever got.

Paul is the best.
mcfan

Postby shorty » Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:40 pm

My father was born in Ireland, and his whole family has this british sense of humour. I grew up with that, and when I watched I saw the world tonight video, it made so much sense to me because my whole family is just like that.

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby jbh » Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:54 am

With regard to the bit where he is playing with the organ and doing the german dialouge; it seemed like he was just showing the interviewer the kinds of stuff he & the beatles made up for laughs. Kind of like liverpudlian humor.
jbh

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:23 pm

quote:Originally posted by shinestar
I actually bought this video I love it so much! I think all the comedy stuff is cute and clever, ditto the cartoon which I'm not sure is available in the U.S. I love his house, which I think is in Dorset, that walkway going down a little slope to get to the front door was really nice. It's always neat to see where famous people live and his homes always look so lived in, so real. You know? Like, not showplaces like some stars.

They are coming out with a new version, with Macca at home with Heather. I'm sure Shiney will be the first in line for that one. [:D]

Just Kidding, BTW
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:05 am

I like that boat he sailing around in!
Great film, but I would have seen and heard some more songs.
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby theDingle » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:16 pm

Just picked this one up recently (finally got around to it, that is) quite enjoyed it. It's a rather full picture of Paul of the 90s. It gave me a new appreciation for some of the songs I hadn't paid close attention to as much.

Linda appeared so naturally glamourous and elegant, even moreso than when she was younger, I think. Geoff Baker even got some decent footage--looks rather thin, maybe he's put on some weight, I took him for being a little heavier. It seemed surprising that Jeff Lynne didn't get more space considering he was the album's producer.

Paul sure did cut-up a bit--it was also funny where he plays the "queer-eye" as George Martin models the unfolded Beautiful Night music score and wears it like a sash, lol.

It was cool to see a segment regarding his paintings, and of course by now Tropical Island Hum is no longer a mystery, it has been out for a while.

Did the video succeed in really portraying Paul McCartney, the man? The press, or some supposed insider seems to consistently state, "Well, he always has his guard up y'know, he's hard to really get to know even if he is friendly and a perfect gentleman, etc., blah blah..." mmm, I've never heard Ringo say any of that stuff. I suppose what you see is what you get.

On the one hand it seems Paul does enjoy promoting himself, but then-- that's what we want, right?--I did buy it, and I do like it!

Looks like I'll be having the Flaming Pie CD in rotation again! 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA-Videos