My valentine official video

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Re: My valentine official video

Postby Awesoman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 pm

mr h atom wrote:
interesting to note that, in your quotes, you seem to indicate that both eggs and i, the only people not bashing mccartney or his music during this spat, are the ones driving out people...and, of course, because we deign not to bash mccartney, we are...oh, what did you say...oh, yeah...'village idiots'

so, in your world...people who bash mccartney are just fine (because you did not include the newbie, right ?)...yet people who take offense to mccartney being bashed are idiots

Oh brother. :roll:

If you would stop over-reacting like a 9-year-old girl-scout for once (btw aren't you like around twice my age??), maybe you'd realize that no one is "bashing" McCartney. Just because I don't care for *everything* the man has done doesn't mean I'm trying to *bash* him. I'm simply calling 'em as I see's 'em. It's called being objective. I found his latest release, Kisses On The Bottom (and yes, the album title alone is dreadful), to be quite dull to my ears. It doesn't bother me that he wants to put out this kind of music; I simply just couldn't get into it and found it to be a little too schmaltzy for my tastes. This is probably the first album he's put out in like 15 years that I just didn't like. Doesn't bother me at all that you disagree and enjoy the album; yet you seem to be overly threatened by anyone that doesn't overly-gush about his music. Instead of either agreeing to disagree or trying to attempt a constructive debate over differing viewpoints, you launch into a whiny, incoherent ramble better fit for a child that just had their toy taken away from them. And these ridiculous rants have only helped drive people away from these message boards.

McCartney is one of the greatest music figures of our lifetime, but he is not above criticism. There's nothing wrong with that. And I feel that praising everything and anything he does would simply make me incredibly shallow, or at the very least another MaccaFan. 8)
Awesoman

Postby chris » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:15 pm

i'm going to go on a limb here and welcome joefig66 to our site. i can admire a guy who enters a party, muscles his way in front of the keg line, and makes himself at home. keep swingin' brother.

i think the video is nice. and the song is the highlight of that album. glad he was able to write a song that fit in so well.

and my two cents worth...of course paul had his schmaltzy moments. they are far-er and few-er now...but he not only had em', he owned them. he made that type of song his own. and he did it unashamedly (?) he never forgot what he was, for surely the world did not as well. he made it (one of) his strength(s). that way it could never be his weakness.

some fans don't like his ballads. some don't care for his rockers...or his screamers. some can't stand his experimental stuff. or don't want him dabbling in reggae. to a certain extent i've learned to expect a bit of all of it.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby joefig66 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Well Said. Look, I'm not trying to make enemies right from the start here. And I'm sure everyone here is sure that they are the Paul "Expert". Hey, I've been following the man since 1979. My first single was Arrow Through Me.
I went through my period where I like all the songs on RRS. It's just that my tastes changed and I think I gave him a break "because it was Paul" . You know, if he made it, I thought it was great. Once I go through all the other messages, I'm sure I'll comment on all the other stuff Regarding some constructive criticism of the video, I think it should have been a drama. Paul is well known for his 1930's style music. Wouldn't it have been nice to do a timepiece period and make it look like it came from that era. Did anyone see the video that No Doubt did for "It's my Life"? That was great. That's what I was also hoping to get from the CD. I would have rather heard music like Honey Pie or You Gave me the answer. I think those styles are more suited to him. If you recall, he did "A Room With a View" a few years back. I"m not a fan of his singing on this CD. It's growing on me but either his pipes have taken a further beating or he chose to just sing in a higher register. I think a little of both. I am a huge Diana Krall fan as well. This is more her style.
OK, so no one get uptight because of this message. We are all adults (I think). It's not meant to offend anyone. Trust me, I"m as much a Beatleologist as the rest of you, I"ve just been Watching The Wheels Go Round until now. Have a good night. One more thing, He should have remade Suicide....
joefig66

Postby Awesoman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 am

joefig66 wrote:If you recall, he did "A Room With a View" a few years back. I"m not a fan of his singing on this CD. It's growing on me but either his pipes have taken a further beating or he chose to just sing in a higher register. I think a little of both.

McCartney's voice just doesn't fit well for these songs. With this album he was going for a certain vocal style and for me it didn't work very well. I actually dug his take on "A Room With A View"; but I guess that worked in small doses. A full album is overkill for me.
Awesoman

Postby mr h atom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 am

i'm no expert...don't plan on being one...

i don't like every song/album: i just don't dwell on the stuff i'm not fond of...macca has, as chris pointed out, done schmaltz...again, to echo chris, none of that sort of thing, imho, has appeared for a long time..and chris is right about another thing (as usual :roll: )...unlike the way some seem to like to portray it, macca has, more often than not, embraced that side of his art.

one easy check of the past will show i've been a fan of the rrs medley long before i thought the album as a whole was any good: thanks to james & kyle..i took the chance and learned different...

another might show that i've always considered all of btte (my first release day mccartney purchase, btw) excellent, with the (possible) exception of the medley, which i'm still not fond of, but, oh well...

yet a third will show i'm not by any extreme a mccartney apologizer...i am, however, a fervent supporter of those songs/albums that i do like/love...have been from the start, will be forever.

as far as KOTB is concerned, i held off listening to anything (with the exception of this song: which i thought then, and now, was about as prime mccartney cut as any i've ever heard) all of which only heightened my interest in the work...

once bought, i've loved every bit of this album from the moment i began playing it
; it's not like i'm new to loving this album,these songs.

as an individual who consideres himself to be of a wide variety of musical tastes, i found every aspect to be amongst the very best work the man has done, anywhere, anytime...

and along the way, other than normal, mild discussions with those who at least seemed to be odds with the albums old-fashioned, reflective style...i haven't bashed, scared, threatened or trolled anyone about thier like or dislike of it

i can be and often am, amazed at how some who do like one type of song or song styling might not like a very similar one (see the minor off & on discussions G4 and i have had about RDR vs Choba)

and i'm always amazed at those whose viewpoints seem so very limited and present themselves as unwilling to at least attempt to give something new a try...i admit, i have no real tolerance for that sort of thing...that's not what was going on here, though.

i don't, contrary to opinion, go out of my way to attack someone just because they seem to bash or seem to dislike macca or a song or an album: now, attack a beloved...and you might get my attention...

but so what ? what makes, in an open forum, one opinion better than any other ?
one should offer up ones opinion...i am just offering up mine.

you got some intelligent constructive critizism to offer ? say it...if that is the case, also contrary to opinion, i might be playful, but i will be respectful......

destructive, on the other hand, deserves every bit of ire i can muster: it's all fair in love and war, baby... :wink:

go back and read joe intial comments, then mine...and you'll see a fan of those particular things piqued at those comments: in the end, though, all you have is one person offering up his opinion...and another responding with his

i'm sure there are alot of different ways i could've worded my missive...but the gist would be the same: my answer would probably have said near the exact same thing (only...maybe, friendlier) if joe was as eloquent in his first post as he was in the last, he and i might be in a different boat altogether...and it might not feel so much like the titanic... :shock:

but, anybody who's been around here long enough should know, i still would've defended any song/album/different styling of stuff i love... and if you can't handle that minor heat, as weak a it is, you've got bigger problems than me

we are all big boys & girls, so, in that vein: it would seem that only eggs, myself and an actual (gasp !) enthusiastic liking of our lad & his work are obviously at the heart of why so many no longer peruse this site: for eggs sake, i shall take the blame...i forced him to actually like this stuff...he's young, he knows not what he's done; i clouded his mind..i've tried with all the rest (some, i may have actually succeeded... :wink: )..but, in the end, i've failed !!

so be it...i'll take my thirty three and a third lashings on the foredeck cap'n...just don't feed me to the sharks when its done, eh

now...let's all make like bob seger and turn the page...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:33 am

DAMN! It got hot and heavy in here. Yes opinions are accepted but some need to tone down their opinions. I may be reading them the wrong way but some sound to be like instead of "opinions" you are offering up "absolute truth". I don't like all of Macca's stuff, such as RDR (and yes H, I will give it another listen) and I don't like KOTB either. I do like the title though. 1930 and 1940's are not my cup of tea but I am not going to off the man for doing something he likes. I don't care for jazz. I have stated and will continue to state that I am a product of the 1960s and as such, the music of that era is what I like most. But I also like Journey with Steve Perry, I like Billy Idol, I like Judas Priest, I like AC/DC and H you are going to laugh, I even like Michael Buble.
I think a lot of us got our degree in Beatleology but some more so than others. I think I know a lot but I found out not quite as much as I thought.

Suffice it to say, just tone things down. We all can have our opinions but that is just what they are OPINIONS. But I do have to admit, some of you out there DO sound like you are bashing the man and I take offense to that also. But since I tend to ramble like here, I don't say anything. So tone down your "opinions", please?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

It's good to see such passion being expressed on here. I've listened to KOTB many times. I like the album. Right now I'm listening to RRS. For some reason I really like this "rubbish". There are gems on every CD macca's done. That's the beauty of music. One song doesn't fit all. Hmm. I'm wondering how many of us had the "doesn't play well with others" box checked.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby eggman1979 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:35 am

I really enjoy your posts Mr H. Thanks for your comments by the way.

Well, as for me I don't really see a reason why I should apologize but I'll do it anyway. If some of my comments could be found agressive or disrepectful for anyone over here well, I didn't mean it. I see it as a dialogue, passionate if you want it, but I've never attack joefig66 and I think he didn't took it that way so...although I'm not the owner of this site I also want to welcome you. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time over here.

And about the video: I just find it lovely, elegant, beautiful and touching.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 pm

bravefan,

I agree wholeheartedly. There are some gems on every album. I frankly like RRS. I especially like the medley. And H, I am sure there is at least one song on RDR that I like but since my memory is not what it used to be, I can't, for the life of me, think what that song may be.

I try not to hurt any feelers but there are times when I might. So I will apologize ahead of time just in case I do make that faux pax? I know it's faux but I am not sure how to spell the next word. I know, pax means peace and maybe that is what we need here?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

since you luvs yer R&R, i'm thinking the title track, party, she said yeah, g4...well...heck..the whole album :wink:

but you and i...we've been through that, and that is not our fate
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Videos