Kids have no idea about music

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby constv » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:48 pm

Great posts, all! I do agree with Liam, today's kids eat up everything that the record companies feed them. And for the most part, it's crap! Although just a couple of weeks ago, my mother's friend brought her 7-year-old grandson (visiting from NY) to my house to see my Beatles stuff - because the kid was supposedly a huge Beatles and Paul McCartney fan. I laughed... at first! The litter bugger knew literally more than I did about the Beatles! He told me things that I didn't know, that I later checked in books and found true! He went to a Macca show in April with his dad and remembered the whole set list! I played some Beatles interviews for him that I have on CDs, and he would immediately tell which voice belonged to John, or Paul, or George, or Ringo! I still can't get over it. That tells me that, no matter what, there will be people in every generation who woould dig the true talent of the Beatles. Long after the clowns like Korn, and the likes of that, are forgotten (which will happen very soon anyway.)
constv

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:34 pm

Great post, Cons! I hope your 7 year old friend runs for President one day. I'd vote for him! LOL. And yes, I agree that The Beatles' influence will NEVER die. There's just no way.
Ram1

Postby mr. kite » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:38 pm

Even radio stations don't get to play Beatles songs regularly. How can we expect these young gen to know more about the Fab Four without any kind of exposure coming from the radio or tv? Sad to say, they might hear about the Beatles once again when another member dies (still years from now I hope).
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Rundevilrun » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:51 pm

How 'bout this for a change... Instead of kids listening to pop music, college age kids start listening to 80's music! Don't laugh, it happens with the people i hang out with!
Rundevilrun

Postby Brains » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:12 am

And they listen to that seriously, or for a laugh? Some 80s songs can be good, but the production is so rediculous. And when you think about the haircuts... o my god, the haircuts... [:D]

I used to be a bit embarassed to tell people my age (I'm 20 now) that I'm a Beatles/Macca fan. But now I don't care if they laugh at me. I have a good taste in music, they don't.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:56 am

quote:Originally posted by constv
Great posts, all! I do agree with Liam, today's kids eat up everything that the record companies feed them. And for the most part, it's crap! Although just a couple of weeks ago, my mother's friend brought her 7-year-old grandson (visiting from NY) to my house to see my Beatles stuff - because the kid was supposedly a huge Beatles and Paul McCartney fan. I laughed... at first! The litter bugger knew literally more than I did about the Beatles! He told me things that I didn't know, that I later checked in books and found true! He went to a Macca show in April with his dad and remembered the whole set list! I played some Beatles interviews for him that I have on CDs, and he would immediately tell which voice belonged to John, or Paul, or George, or Ringo! I still can't get over it. That tells me that, no matter what, there will be people in every generation who woould dig the true talent of the Beatles. Long after the clowns like Korn, and the likes of that, are forgotten (which will happen very soon anyway.)

Totaly agreement, constv! I'm impressed with this kid! Put him in charge of the record companies, he'll soon whip 'em into shape!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby heyjude65 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:00 am

Great topic. I still hold out hope for the return of truly good music. What's that saying - everything old is new again. Anyway, like with clothing or styles of furniture etc, things that were popular at one time sooner or later seem to come back into fashion again. So I'm holding out hope that really good music, like that of the 60's and 70's, will make a comeback. Sooner or later, the younger generation is going to wake up and realize the crappy music that's being shoved on them is just that - crap. I mean does anyone really think that 40 years from now any of the artists/music currently around will still be played or remembered ? It's so sad how music has regressed. It's really amazing what even passes as music these days. I hate to think of myself as a prude cause I know when I was a teenager I used to wonder what the problem was with older people who just didn't get the music of the times. But there are so few lyrically or musically well-crafted songs these days, if things don't turn around soon I shudder to think what will become of music. I have tried to listen to some of today's songs, but I just can't take the constant bass and head banging beat that seems to drive the majority of them. One sounds the same as the next. There is no change in rhythem, no melody, no moving or interesting lyrics, nothing. I enjoy listening to many different kinds of music. I like some jazz, blues, country, and even enjoy the big band era. But I can't take most of today's crap[xx(]. So long live Macca, the Beatles and all that followed in their footsteps (with high hopes that more will).[:D]
heyjude65

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:16 am

Agreed. Has anyone seen the Queen musical We Will Rock You? It depicts a scenario that the real world is fast approaching, where real, good, music is banned, and society is just fed synthetic pop rubbish . . . and about those who rebel against the society . . . I want to go and see it, because I agree so whole-heartedly with the themes of it . . .
Liam OSM

Postby megs » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:06 pm

great post hey jude 65 totally agree with u, the thing that bugs me the most aboute todays music is rap, its not really even music its just some dude talking really fast and swearing at people with music in the backroand[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:54 pm

quote:its just some black dude talking really fast and swearing at people with music in the backroand

Hmmm...pretty strong statement there, Megs. Not all rappers are black. The most popular rapper in the world right now is Eminem.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions