Kids have no idea about music

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:58 am

Yeah, that's the trouble with having the most widely spoken language internationally - after Chinese, but the international scope on that isn't so huge anyway. English people are lazy when it comes to foreign lingos - but not me. Oh, no! I like being able to speak many languages [8D]
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:26 pm

Well, I was born in the early 60s, so when The Fabs was in their highlights I was just a little child, but soon I liked their songs. But the fact is that I started truely to like their songs through the solo career of each one of The Beatles in the early 70s, that's to say, after their break-up. Macca was the first that amazed me, followed by John, George and Ringo in sequence, and at the same time, I was searching and researching all Beatle-stuffs as a group since then and until nowadays.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:34 pm

And being a south-american, I can say that in the 60s and 70s there were too much Beatle-fans at least in Brazi but surely in the most of south-americans countries. But nowadays as Chris said, sadly The Beatles is not a so much known group, just a memory of the past to the younger people.
Well, at least my 10 y.o. son likes their songs a lot... but in the other hand he likes things like GORILLAZ too much(sigh)...LOL[:D]
Well it's normal, I guess... LOL[:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby megs » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:34 pm

i actually know quite a few people my age who do listen to the beatles and classic rock and oldies. I just think if some more people my age gave it a chance they would like it but i think there afraid to listen to it b/c its old and its what most of there parents listen to and their probably afraid people would make fun of them if they listened to the beatles and other oldies bands[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:31 pm

Right, Megs. The teenagers, like Megs and a few others here, are out there that listen to this music. But I think it's just that they are gradually decreasing. Especially with the crap that MTV and modern rock radio push. (Not that there aren't ANY good bands today. There are still some out there. Such as Beck, Pearl Jam, Supergrass, and Travis.) All of those bands, not surprisingly, don't get much airplay on MTV. Haha, reminds me of this one time my freshman year in college. I was in the cafeteria reading the much-hated 'Blackbird' book by Geoffrey Guliani. This dude walks in, (with a KORN shirt, mind you) and says "Whatcha readin' there?" I was already dreading answering him because I figured what his reaction would be. I said, "This book about Paul McCartney." Well, this dude looked like he just soiled his pants. "Paul McCartney?? Dude, my GRANDPARENTS listened to The Beatles, man!" I was just like, yeah whatever, man. So it's like what Megs said, there are still a lot of people her age who are educated about music, but often they're too afraid to admit it. Or they don't wanna listen to their "parent's music." However, there ARE many kids out there who are just PLAIN STUPID about music. They think that anything released before 2000 is "old school." LOL. But you can blame most of it on the industry, as others have said. You can thank all these "teen pop" executives and managers. To me, the popular rock industry hasn't been REALLY good since about 1995. After that, everything went downhill. Fast.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:42 pm

By the way, I know what you mean, Chris. I have encountered people who had never heard of George Harrison as well. I even talked to a girl years ago that didn't know who Jimi Hendrix was. Heck, my own GIRLFRIEND had never heard Sgt. Pepper until I made her a copy a year or so ago. I'm happy to say that I've been teaching her well though. [^]
Ram1

Postby megs » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:46 pm

i find it annoying how when people ask me wat i listen to and i say paul mccartney they just give me this really odd look but its cool how some kids my age dont care about what other people think of there music like once i asked a kid what he was listening to and he said he was listening to some jazz stuff and he didnt seemed embaresd at all about it[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:52 pm

Also, because of trashy media over the years (like *cough* Maxim *cough*) trashing McCartney and making him out to look like a total doofus, a lot of people look at him as lightweight or weak. Usually if you say you like John Lennon, people will say cool, because John was this "rebel." And maybe George because some people will be like "Cool, dude. I dig his spirituality." But if you say you like Paul, many people will look at you like you're...well...a dork. Of course it's because they are just ignorant and buy into the trashy media hype. It's just sad that the best songwriter in music history STILL gets a bad rap. Even after all these years.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:17 pm

Funny thing Megs. When i was in Junor high in 1980 when Coming up came out, i bought Macca II and even then (22 years ago) kids laughed at Macca (Yes, there was a time when the BEatles were hated and Macca wasn't well like) - All my friends were into Ac/DC back in black or Led Zep (Yes, they were still together then).

Funny that almost 25 years ago - people are still hatin' on the Beatles.

I remember after Lennon died in 1980 - everyone told the Beatle joke about why the Beatles couldn't do another....Answer There's no John..Or the very brilliant (I say this sarcastically)....What does it take to re-unite the Beatles...A: Five more bullets...Like that's so funny, right?

Anyway, it did me proud to see the BEatles get mucha love in the 80's and mid90's....Cause the years 1975-1989 - were tough people and many people born between 1963-1975 - hated, hated the Beatles
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:30 pm

But ya know, I think most of it really comes down to education though. A lot of people really just DON'T KNOW, because they've never been exposed to it. I've turned so many people onto The Beatles, The Doors, and other classic acts. They just needed to be taught. And willing to open their ears and minds.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions