Long tall Sally vs Twist and Shout

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Grillo » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by megs
its a band: "crosbie, stills, nash, and young"

also Dingle on the song "oh darling" even though it was a Paul song John always thought he should of sung it, personally i think it would sound great either way [:I]

The best band doing harmony vocals, for me, is The Everly Brothers(after the Beatles of course!)
Beach boys are better on innovation and technique, but i still prefer the bros [:p]
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Postby theDingle » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by megs
its a band: "crosbie, stills, nash, and young"

also Dingle on the song "oh darling" even though it was a Paul song John always thought he should of sung it, personally i think it would sound great either way [:I]
Correct, megs, and I agree, Oh Darling sounds like the kind of song that John also could have pulled off.
quote:Originally posted by Grillo
The best band doing harmony vocals, for me, is The Everly Brothers(after the Beatles of course!)
Beach boys are better on innovation and technique, but i still prefer the bros [:p]WAD, Grill, the Everly's also had an awesome vocal blend. I grew up in Everly Brothers country.
You might dig the link below, it's some great history. It shows an interesting Poppa Ike Everly/Brothers/Merle Travis/Chet Atkins connection.

Growing up I used to go to the fair where Atkins first checked out their performance, and I used to watch Cas Walker (the guy that gave them TV exposure) on TV all the time.
http://www.metropulse.com/dir_suncity/dir_music/dir_bands/everly_bros.html
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Grillo » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:09 pm

Back to Long Tall Sally topic: i checked out two sources(Record and Road) and they all confirmed that McCartney was the one who played the piano and that only one take was enough.
ATN even says there is not piano! sucha deaf source [:D] Incredible, isnt, it?
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:25 pm

quote:Originally posted by Grillo
someone could help over there? Steve perhaps?
I hear he's too lazy to look anything up, unless it's to battle Shiney Hiney. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:16 am

I like the singing in Twist and Shout better.. I don't really rate Long Tall Sally as a great vocal.. it's good but nothing special... I think Paul sings songs like She's A Woman and I'm Down better... his best vocals for me are on songs like Hey Jude and Oh Darling..
Gastro (gone)

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:53 am

Instrumentally I like their recording of LONG TALL SALLY much more than TWIST AND SHOUT. I love the excitement that builds up as LTS plows along driven by Paul's bass.

Interestingly enough, both these songs are one take recordings. Although a 2nd take of TWIST was taped, it was the first take that made the final master!

These two songs, vocally are somewhat of a tie. LTS is Paul's best "cover song screamer" and TAS is John's.
DylansMrJones

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:27 am

Twist and Shout wins for me. An astonishing performance - and it's one of the tracks that's become a real rock n roll classic.

Now, if you ask me to choose between Twist and Shout and I Saw Her Standing There, that's a tricky one..
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:36 am

Yes, Twist & Shout !

John's awsome vocals managed two takes. It's understandable that his voice went to pieces for a little while after such tour of force. If I'm not mistaken, it was (on purpose)the last track to be recorded for their 1rst album, because they knew John just had to get it right the first or second take.If not, any following recordings would have to wait.
Berkeleyan

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:58 am

quote:Originally posted by Berkeleyan
Yes, Twist & Shout !

John's awsome vocals managed two takes. It's understandable that his voice went to pieces for a little while after such tour of force. If I'm not mistaken, it was (on purpose)the last track to be recorded for their 1rst album, because they knew John just had to get it right the first or second take.If not, any following recordings would have to wait.

That's right - and the track released is the first take
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Helter Skelter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:06 am

If John was ever to sing Oh darling he would have to sing it in a lower key. The one on the album is too high for him in the middle eights.
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions