The Beatles '1'

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

The Beatles '1'

Postby jamie » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:07 pm

what was the point of this album ? ok so its nice to have all the hits on one cd but it just seems like EMI can say ' right guys , our profits are below 500 million this year , what will we do ?... i know , lets release sum beatles stuff ![}:)]
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:25 pm

I didn't buy it either jamie, but I'm glad they released it.

It gave all the muzak that was currently out a run for its money. It reinforced the fact that the Beatles are still relevant. It probably recruited a good many new young fans. It did have classy packaging. I'm sure it made some record company scumbags more money, but it also made the Beatles more money, and they had a lousy record deal to begin with. It was a win-win idea.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Gastro (gone) » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:39 am

I liked it.. even though I have everything... I liked the fact that they beat U2 as the biggest selling album of the year.. It kind of reinforced the title of the album.. 1.. everyone else is second...

You listen to say Paperback Writer and it makes all these bands like Oasis sound like try hards and wannabe's... that's what I like about it.... also it made a statement that as far as pop music is concerned everything can be said within a 2-3 minute song.... 2-3 minute songs don't exist anymore ..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Mr. Mustard » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:10 am

I think the fact that this Beatles collection got ahead of all other current records in terms of sales figures speaks for itself. I mean the customers don´t have to buy if they feel that it´s a rip-off , but still they do. And they do massively, which shows that there is a need for such a release.
Another point in favour of this record, regarding the release as a CD, is that there hasn’t been an official single CD of hits that featured the entire period of the Beatles. All in all I think '1' is a consolidated version of the red and the blue double LPs/ CDs.
Personally, I purchased the vinyl version of '1' and I am very satisfied with it. It came with a large poster of all the singles´ covers from around the world plus a set of psychedelic portraits of the bandmembers. They look marvelous and decorate my appartment very nicely.
Mr. Mustard

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:02 am

oh yeah - its a great album , i dont dispute that , im just questioning the motives ! the dingle and gastro are right - its good that the beatles can nuke everyone else's sales now and again! some of todays ' musicians ' need reminding just how shockingly bad they are !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby megs » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:04 am

i just bought it cos' i wanted to see what they put in the CD booklet thingy[:)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:07 am

oh yeah the sleeve is good - but it really had to be , to justify the release ,if anything.
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ghavi » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:11 pm

The album 1 was released because the people have all this songs in other albumbs but they dont have it in that order !!!
[:D][:D][:D]
Ghavi

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:23 pm

thats true ghavi! i just hope they dont do a '2' album as was rumoured , that would be really naff - the kind of thing those manafactured boy band crapheads do ! if EMI are gonna do it at least dont call it '2'. [}:)]
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:08 pm

I think I look at the booklet more than I play the CD, but it's a great disc. Sort of a highlights from the 1962-1966 and 1967-70 albums affair. I'm more inclined to play their regular albums as opposed to compilations.

I often take "1" along with me in my Sony Discman when I go out for my daily walk. It's nice to have a BEATLES cd that lasts more than 40 minutes.

I don't expect a follow-up called "2". If they did another compilation I'd like to see one that focuses on THE BEATLES'GREATEST NON-HITS. A collection of tracks that never appeared on any US or UK singles or compilations.

What's the point of the "1" compilation? Considering the number of younger people I know who made this their first Beatles purchase, the point was INTRODUCING THE BEATLES to the new generation. I think it was a success.
DylansMrJones

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions