Helter Skelter Long Version

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mr. Mustard » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:06 am

Hello Beatles-Maniacs out there!
For years I´ve been looking for the original version of Helter Skelter which is said to be 20+ minutes long. Until now I haven´t got a clue, if it has been released on some bootleg CD or LP at all as it never is mentioned anywhere on any bootleg-related site.
Once a record dealer told me of a tape he owned with this ultimate HS version on it, but as he wasn´t very much interested in the Beatles himself he kind of didn´t care for it and wouldn´t find it anymore. Of course, he wasn´t aware of the source of this tape, too.
So my question goes out to all of you who have knowledge about Beatles Bootlegs: Is there a record (LP or CD) out there, that contains the full version of HS? ...and if there is: What´s the title?
I really want to know if I´m chasing a phantom or if I might be lucky finding it sometimes.

Thanks for thinking about it.
Mr. Mustard

Postby Mr. Mustard » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:06 am

Hello Beatles-Maniacs out there!
For years I´ve been looking for the original version of Helter Skelter which is said to be 20+ minutes long. Until now I haven´t got a clue, if it has been released on some bootleg CD or LP at all as it never is mentioned anywhere on any bootleg-related site.
Once a record dealer told me of a tape he owned with this ultimate HS version on it, but as he wasn´t very much interested in the Beatles himself he kind of didn´t care for it and wouldn´t find it anymore. Of course, he wasn´t aware of the source of this tape, too.
So my question goes out to all of you who have knowledge about Beatles Bootlegs: Is there a record (LP or CD) out there, that contains the full version of HS? ...and if there is: What´s the title?
I really want to know if I´m chasing a phantom or if I might be lucky finding it sometimes.

Thanks for thinking about it.
Mr. Mustard

Postby dsnito » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:20 am

Well, I know about the existence of such HS extended version, but really don't know when, where or IF it was released as a bootleg... it's about 24 min. of recordings, which is like a LP version's one side...I'm also asking, where can we find it??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Berkeleyan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:29 am

According to the "bible" (that´s how Paul refers to the great work by Mark Lehwiston "The Beatles Recording Sessions"), the long Helter Skelter lasted in excess of 27 minutes and the master tapes of that particular recording were taken home by Paul McCartney. EMI must have kept a copy also, I assume.

P.S. I probably mispelled Mark´s last name.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:36 pm

So far this 24 minute HELTER SKELTER has not popped up on a bootleg as far as I know. We can only hope that Paul will realize that this is one of the "grails" we Beatles fanatics seek, and see that as reason alone to get it released! In fact, if I ever was lucky enough to meet Paul, this would be something I'd ask him about.
DylansMrJones

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions