The Beatles Anthology - the book

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

The Beatles Anthology - the book

Postby Helter Skelter » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:52 pm

has anyone read this? I bought it when it came out but I haven´t actuallt read it yet. Just been looking on the amazing pictures.

Is the quotes in the book very much like in the VHS/DVDSs or is there a lot of other nice things to read as well?
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:10 pm

I have to admit...I bought it years ago, but ususally just look at the pictures.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:47 am

A lot of the book is actually in the ANTHOLOGY dvd set, however the book digs even deeper in detail. The book definitely has more to digest than the DVDs. And there are a lot of great photos. Even a Beatles fan who can't read would love this book!

I've read it through a few times. It's fantastic. It would bore the living daylights out of the average person, but for a Beatles fanatic like me it's a fountain of intimate behind the scenes details. Their story is fascinating to me. I don't even really know why except that I loved their music for as long as I can remember.

By the way, THE BEATLES UNSEEN ARCHIVES by Tim Hill & Marie Clayton (Parragon Publishing, UK 2002) is a book that's filled with awesome photos. I've been a Beatles freak since around 1964, and I have to say that this book has a lot of pictures I've never seen. The downside to this book is that the pictures are all black and white. I haven't gotten around to reading the text yet aside from a quick browse.
DylansMrJones

Postby theDingle » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:36 pm

Same here, DMJ, I've read it at least twice. Reading it is slightly a chore because it's so big and heavy (but I'm glad, Beatle graphics need to be BIG). I would set it on my belly and read it before going to bed. It was fun to escape into Beatle World every night. [8D]
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:50 pm

It IS because it's heavy to read at night, lol. I will dig into on vacation in a few weeks, however. I've read probably 1/3 of it hear and there, and it's great. But the pics mesmerize me....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:08 am

It's always on the coffee table, great to dip into. I often watch bits on the DVD - then I'll come back to the book for more detail.

Watching the Magical Mystery Tour section on the DVD the other night. Love the bit where you see Neil, Ringo and George and they all say. "Hmm, I think that was Paul's idea". Cut to Paul looking a little embarrassed. "Well," he says, "It may have been my idea, but I remember it as being all of us..." He then owns up to not wanting to "take the blame"....

There's also a lovely little tribute piece to Brian Epstein, with "You've Got To Hid Your Love Away" over the top of it.
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby claresmiles » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:16 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I have to admit...I bought it years ago, but ususally just look at the pictures.

I had it for ages before reading it but once I started couldn't stop. I've recently got the DVDs and am working my way thru' those-have to wait 'til my little boy is asleep though otherwise he just comes down to watch with me and then can't get up for school in the morning!
claresmiles

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:16 am

The Beatles Anthology
I´m gonna trail off just a bit - I just thought I´d summarize the major contribution of each Beatle like this:
L from Lennon stands for Lyrics
M from McCartney stands for Music
G from George stands for Guitar
R from Ringo stands for Rhythm
Berkeleyan

Postby megs » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:54 pm

hey, anyone know if the book and DVD's r different, i'm guessing their bascialy the same...i'm just wondering though if i should get the book even though i already own the DVD's[:)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bianca_macca » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:42 am

I think the book and the dvd's have the same story, but I should definetely buy the book as well, because It's so beatiful. It has superb large photographs and everything is printed on glossy thick paper.
It's the bible for us beatles-faithful!![:D][:D]
bianca_macca
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions