George Martin's Masterpiece?

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri May 16, 2003 11:44 am

Is there anyone else besides myself who finds pleasure in George Martin's orchestral tracks on the original YELLOW SUBMARINE album? This is great stuff! As a child I hated having a whole side of a Beatles album that was NOT the Beatles. Now I treasure this score! I wish GM would have done more work like this!
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri May 16, 2003 11:44 am

Is there anyone else besides myself who finds pleasure in George Martin's orchestral tracks on the original YELLOW SUBMARINE album? This is great stuff! As a child I hated having a whole side of a Beatles album that was NOT the Beatles. Now I treasure this score! I wish GM would have done more work like this!
DylansMrJones

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Fri May 16, 2003 11:51 am

The Beatles were fortunate to be paired with George Martin, I think.

He has/had an incredible combination of talents, and played a number of roles to them. He would be the father figure when they needed discipline, support, encouragement, even telling off at times. But at the same time, he was blessed with the imagination and energy to help turn The Beatles' ambitions for their music into reality.

Fact: Lennon once asked George Martin to make one of his songs "sound like an orange".
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby sleepyhollowgirl » Fri May 16, 2003 3:56 pm

The yellow submarine instrumental stuff was amazing. I love it.
sleepyhollowgirl
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Fri May 16, 2003 8:01 pm

The Pepperland theme is a beauty.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby DylansMrJones » Sat May 17, 2003 3:57 am

Somehow I could imagine an Emerson Lake & Palmer version of MARCH OF THE MEANIES...
DylansMrJones

Postby Brains » Sat May 17, 2003 12:07 pm

It was nice in the film, but I've only once played the second side of YS. Not my cup o'tea.

quote:Fact: Lennon once asked George Martin to make one of his songs "sound like an orange".

[:D][:D] That's John!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Sun May 18, 2003 6:21 am

I've completely changed my opinion on the George Martin score for YELLOW SUB. I'm more appreciative of orchestral music now that I'm older, and GM's YS score is quite amazing.

Also, a band called VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR recorded a George Martin composition called THEME ONE. It was a single B side in Europe, and it was on the US version of their PAWN HEARTS album. This track rocks!
DylansMrJones

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions