Lady Madonna

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Lady Madonna

Postby Solo » Wed May 14, 2003 5:29 am

Hello! I will be very thankful to You if You will make one thing clear to me - I heard someone stating (the person is of no importance) that in mid-eight of that song there is a-la sordino trumpet solo (not to mix up with the sax one!). That guy claims all 4 Beatles gave birth to that "specific" sound, standing near mikes with their tightened palms and singing the tune through that lil hole between them - You know, like a trick with one grass being tightened between the palms and blowing through them to make that "jazzy" sordino sound come out... Pardon me for my English and a long story, does anyone know is it true for "LM" or not?
Many thanks in advance
Solo

Lady Madonna

Postby Solo » Wed May 14, 2003 5:29 am

Hello! I will be very thankful to You if You will make one thing clear to me - I heard someone stating (the person is of no importance) that in mid-eight of that song there is a-la sordino trumpet solo (not to mix up with the sax one!). That guy claims all 4 Beatles gave birth to that "specific" sound, standing near mikes with their tightened palms and singing the tune through that lil hole between them - You know, like a trick with one grass being tightened between the palms and blowing through them to make that "jazzy" sordino sound come out... Pardon me for my English and a long story, does anyone know is it true for "LM" or not?
Many thanks in advance
Solo

Postby Steve-o » Wed May 14, 2003 7:22 am

I have always considered the backing of that part to be the voices of the Beatles, however they acheived the unique sound.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Wed May 14, 2003 5:50 pm

Lewisohn's Complete Beatles Chronicle just says"...backing vocals by Paul, John, and George, a vocalised brass imitation for the middle-eight section..." That was a slick production idea, really fit the song just right.

The Mills Brothers were great at doing that too.

Good question, I'm usually too lazy to break out the book, but I just happen to have it handy, LOL.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Solo » Thu May 15, 2003 3:36 am

thanx, Dingle, thanx a lot [:)]
Solo

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions