Love Me Do 1969 version

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Love Me Do 1969 version

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 pm

Today I downloaded 3 cool "bootleg" Beatles tracks I never heard before. The 1969 version of LOVE ME DO, a long version of HER MAJESTY, with some sloppy slide guitar on it, and a somewhat full version of CAN YOU TAKE ME BACK.

On the other hand, I also found a bogus file. It was supposedly The Beatles, but I know it wasn't. It was a man playing piano and singing in an idiotic voice. The song is called MY GOAT JUST DIED, and I have to admit I laughed quite hard at the song. It was so pathetic it was funny.

Anyway, my years of curiousity about LOVE ME DO '69 has finally been satisfied. It's quite rough, and perhaps only worthy of release as a curio.
DylansMrJones

Love Me Do 1969 version

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 pm

Today I downloaded 3 cool "bootleg" Beatles tracks I never heard before. The 1969 version of LOVE ME DO, a long version of HER MAJESTY, with some sloppy slide guitar on it, and a somewhat full version of CAN YOU TAKE ME BACK.

On the other hand, I also found a bogus file. It was supposedly The Beatles, but I know it wasn't. It was a man playing piano and singing in an idiotic voice. The song is called MY GOAT JUST DIED, and I have to admit I laughed quite hard at the song. It was so pathetic it was funny.

Anyway, my years of curiousity about LOVE ME DO '69 has finally been satisfied. It's quite rough, and perhaps only worthy of release as a curio.
DylansMrJones

Postby Grillo » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:52 pm

Prety cool.
In that HER MAJESTY MAcca plays alone?
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:00 am

I have no information on the long HER MAJESTY. I'm guessing it's from January 1969. Paul sings it in a higher octave than the official version. It seems that Paul starts it alone with an acoustic guitar, while John and George can be heard talking in the background. Soon someone starts playing slide guitar and Ringo adds drums. I'm guessing John is on slide guitar.
DylansMrJones

Postby swansea » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:42 am

hI guys, another new forum member here!!
I've been curious abaout LOVE ME DO '69 version dylans,
as I have not heard it yet, were you dissapointed hearing it, or was it totally different to what you expected?
swansea

Postby DylansMrJones » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:21 pm

I wasn't disapointed, yet I didn't expect much. Mark Lewisohn wrote about it in THE BEATLES' RECORDING SESSIONS, explaining that the 1969 version of LOVE ME DO was far from releasable. It's a typical Get Back Sessions imprompteau jam. I actually thought Lewisohn made it sound worse than it really is. It does run over 2:30, and it has Billy Preston playing on it.
DylansMrJones

Postby swansea » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:04 pm

I've got that same book Dylans, and you are right. Lewisohn doesn't think much about it. Still I have to say that, on the whole, his book is incredibly detailed, and I've learnt a lot from that book about
the way they used to record.
He must have spent a while listening to session tapes and
outtakes and such. Lucky so and so!! lol[:)]
swansea

Postby swansea » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:08 am

Just downloaded LOVE ME DO '69 This morning. It's different alright!!
Pity, though, that John doesn't make much of an effort on it.
swansea

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions