Beatles FUN WITH THE FAB FOUR dvd

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:03 pm

While shopping at K-Mart I saw, for just $5.99, a DVD of the Beatles. The cover says DVD DOUBLE FEATURE, and show that it contains 2 titles - THE BEATLES UNAUTHORIZED (51 mins) and FUN WITH THE FAB FOUR (54 mins). It's released by a company(?) called GoodTimes 16 East 40th St, New York NY. The DVD also says "visit us at http://www.goodtimes.com ", but I haven't looked there yet. I bought this knowing that it was very likely going to be a bad documentary. Somehow I get a kick out of a bad documentary.

I was very surprised to see that this DVD has data on BOTH sides of the disc. You actually have to flip it over to play it all! This is the first I've ever seen this sort of disc.

THE BEATLES UNAUTHORIZED has a lot of footage of fans freaking out trying to meet them at the height of the 'Mania. There's a few interview sequences, some I've seen many times before, and some I haven't. Much to my surprise, there is actually Beatles music in this.There's a few songs from their first US show in Washington DC. They sound pretty distorted compared to the Apple video of the same show. Most of this first "program" is rather tedious.

FUN WITH THE FAB FOUR is a little better. The highlight for me was seeing their infamous Shakespearean play they did on TV. I may be wrong, but I think it was from the "Around The Beatles" program on Grenada TV. I could look it up, but I'm lazy right now. Anyway, Paul plays Pyramus, John plays his lady love Thisbe, George, holding a lantern, plays the Man in the Moon, and Ringo is a lion. This is the first time I've seen this. It's extremely silly, nothing amazing, but actually somewhat cool to see. Another interesting thing on this "program" is an excerpt from I've Got A Secret, the American TV game show that was popular in the early 1960's. The person with the secret? Pete Best! His explanation of why he left the Beatles? Here Pete says he left to form another band, thinking the Beatles weren't going to go anywhere. I guess he didn't want to say he got kicked out!

While not worth much more, $5.99 wasn't a bad price to pay to see some of this odd stuff I've never seen.

Anyone else have this thing?
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:03 pm

While shopping at K-Mart I saw, for just $5.99, a DVD of the Beatles. The cover says DVD DOUBLE FEATURE, and show that it contains 2 titles - THE BEATLES UNAUTHORIZED (51 mins) and FUN WITH THE FAB FOUR (54 mins). It's released by a company(?) called GoodTimes 16 East 40th St, New York NY. The DVD also says "visit us at http://www.goodtimes.com ", but I haven't looked there yet. I bought this knowing that it was very likely going to be a bad documentary. Somehow I get a kick out of a bad documentary.

I was very surprised to see that this DVD has data on BOTH sides of the disc. You actually have to flip it over to play it all! This is the first I've ever seen this sort of disc.

THE BEATLES UNAUTHORIZED has a lot of footage of fans freaking out trying to meet them at the height of the 'Mania. There's a few interview sequences, some I've seen many times before, and some I haven't. Much to my surprise, there is actually Beatles music in this.There's a few songs from their first US show in Washington DC. They sound pretty distorted compared to the Apple video of the same show. Most of this first "program" is rather tedious.

FUN WITH THE FAB FOUR is a little better. The highlight for me was seeing their infamous Shakespearean play they did on TV. I may be wrong, but I think it was from the "Around The Beatles" program on Grenada TV. I could look it up, but I'm lazy right now. Anyway, Paul plays Pyramus, John plays his lady love Thisbe, George, holding a lantern, plays the Man in the Moon, and Ringo is a lion. This is the first time I've seen this. It's extremely silly, nothing amazing, but actually somewhat cool to see. Another interesting thing on this "program" is an excerpt from I've Got A Secret, the American TV game show that was popular in the early 1960's. The person with the secret? Pete Best! His explanation of why he left the Beatles? Here Pete says he left to form another band, thinking the Beatles weren't going to go anywhere. I guess he didn't want to say he got kicked out!

While not worth much more, $5.99 wasn't a bad price to pay to see some of this odd stuff I've never seen.

Anyone else have this thing?
DylansMrJones

Postby sleepyhollowgirl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:28 pm

Man, I want it...[:p]
sleepyhollowgirl
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions