Beatles & Pink Floyd (and other misinformation)

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:20 pm

I was searching through one of those p2p file share sites when I saw that someone had uploaded WHAT'S THE NEW MARY JANE. Whoever uploaded it there claimed it to be The Beatles with Pink Floyd, a RARE recording from 1967. Of course I know better. For one, I'm sure it's likely one of the 1968 or 1969 mixes of the track John, Yoko, George and Mal recorded. For two, The Beatles never recorded with Pink Floyd. While MARY JANE may well have sounded like something from UMMAGUMMA, Pink Floyd were definitely NOT involved. Although they did meet each other at EMI during the Pepper sessions.

I also found an alternate version of MICHELLE! I downloaded it, and checked it out. The guitar intro was quite nice, and obviously not the same as the RUBBER SOUL version. Then the lead vocal began. BOGUS!!!! It was NOT the Beatles. I don't know who it was, but the guy who was singing sounded pretty bad.

I suppose we can elaborate on this or we can share other MISINFORMATION we find on the www.
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:20 pm

I was searching through one of those p2p file share sites when I saw that someone had uploaded WHAT'S THE NEW MARY JANE. Whoever uploaded it there claimed it to be The Beatles with Pink Floyd, a RARE recording from 1967. Of course I know better. For one, I'm sure it's likely one of the 1968 or 1969 mixes of the track John, Yoko, George and Mal recorded. For two, The Beatles never recorded with Pink Floyd. While MARY JANE may well have sounded like something from UMMAGUMMA, Pink Floyd were definitely NOT involved. Although they did meet each other at EMI during the Pepper sessions.

I also found an alternate version of MICHELLE! I downloaded it, and checked it out. The guitar intro was quite nice, and obviously not the same as the RUBBER SOUL version. Then the lead vocal began. BOGUS!!!! It was NOT the Beatles. I don't know who it was, but the guy who was singing sounded pretty bad.

I suppose we can elaborate on this or we can share other MISINFORMATION we find on the www.
DylansMrJones

Postby Brains » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:07 pm

Jimi Hendrix & The Beatles (or John Lennon) doing Day Tripper. It is Jimi alright, but I don't really hear John or anyone else. Supposed to be around 1967, I don't think I've ever heard that the Beatles played with Jimi Hendrix... Is this correct?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:18 am

I have never heard any of the Beatles describe playing with Jimi. They loved him, so I'm sure it would have come up on Anthology.
DylansMrJones

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:05 am

They watched Jimi--that's it.

As for bad info....I hear that paul died back in the 60's. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ghavi » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:58 pm

John Lennon and Syd Barret make a version of step inside love paranias makin fun ok Macca !
Thats true ![:D]
Ghavi

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:51 pm

Syd Barrett & John Lennon have not recorded together. STEP INSIDE LOVE/LOS PARANOIAS, taped during sessions for I WILL in 1968, is on disc 1 of ANTHOLOGY 3 and does not have Syd Barrett involved.
DylansMrJones

Postby Mr. Mustard » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:33 am

I´ve got a record (bootleg) with excerpts from a session of Paul and Donovan playing songs to each other on accustic guitar sometimes in 1968. Amongst others Paul is doing 'Blackbird' and a track called 'Heather', which I presume was written for Linda´s daughter at that time. It´s quite nice.
Mr. Mustard

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:16 pm

On Kaazalite I saw BRAND NEW KEY attributed to Janis Joplin, when in fact it is really Melanie.
DylansMrJones

Postby Brains » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:06 am

Someone doing Queen's 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', claiming it's by Elvis. Queen did the song in 1978 if I'm not mistaken [:D].
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions