I Am The Walrus (Remixed for DVD)

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:10 pm

I just noticed something cool about the ANTHOLOGY dvd. When I AM THE WALRUS plays on Part 7 (DVD #4) the entire track is in stereo. Many of us know that the standard version slips into fake stereo about half way through. I had understood that there was no stereo tape of the second part of the master, owing to the way the radio was fed through the monitor. Whatever they did, it's so strange to hear this in stereo for the first time. I don't have a surround sound system. I wonder how it sounds in 5.1?
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:10 pm

I just noticed something cool about the ANTHOLOGY dvd. When I AM THE WALRUS plays on Part 7 (DVD #4) the entire track is in stereo. Many of us know that the standard version slips into fake stereo about half way through. I had understood that there was no stereo tape of the second part of the master, owing to the way the radio was fed through the monitor. Whatever they did, it's so strange to hear this in stereo for the first time. I don't have a surround sound system. I wonder how it sounds in 5.1?
DylansMrJones

Postby Helter Skelter » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:53 am

wait a minute!!?.. I am the walrus has always been i stereo. At least on CD. I ´m listening to the MMT cd right now and IATW is in stereo all way through!
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:23 pm

It becomes "fake" stereo at 2:12. Only the first 2:11 has ever been released in true stereo. Of course during the fade-out the sound is panned from side to side, but the recording itself is "fake stereo". Fake stereo was a dumb idea from the 1960's. Take a mono recording, split the signal, giving one channel a lot of high end, the other channel more low end. The fact that the 2nd half of WALRUS is NOT in true stereo has been documented in many sources, including Mark Lewisohn's THE BEATLES' RECORDING SESSIONS.
DylansMrJones

Postby Grillo » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:54 pm

yeah MR Dylan´s right
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions