ANTHOLOGY dvd set OPINIONS

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:36 pm

I figure people can put their reviews and opinions here. I'm reluctant to call my post a review, as I'm not a great writer, but none the less I'm going to express my thoughts on the ANTHOLOGY dvd set.

As far as the price is concerned, I paid 69.99 (74.89 with tax) at COCONUTS. However COCONUTS is owned by Trans World Music (who own FYE as well), and Trans World is offering a $20 mail in rebate that must be post marked by April 5th - so I'll really have paid 54.88. I was in a hurry to get this, so I didn't go crazy comparing prices at different stores. Wal-mart has it for around 69 dollars plus tax, but without a rebate offer. Seeing that the old VHS box of 8 tapes went for around $120 back in 1996, this is indeed a reasonable price. Maybe I could have done better on line somewhere, but I hate waiting for things!

Like most of us did and will, I went straight for the SPECIAL FEATURES disc. It was great to see Paul, George and Ringo hanging out together having a good time looking back - as well as jamming. I also very much enjoyed the part where you can see Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin at the mixing console listening to various session tapes. They have a friendly debate over who played the bass on GOLDEN SLUMBERS as they played an early take with just piano, vocal, bass and drums. Paul thought he had overdubbed it, but George Martin explained that the take was "live / no overdubs" at that point. Funnily Harrison asks "What album is that from?" and Paul picks on George for his lack of Beatles' expertise.

This disc also includes a peek into the recording sessions for the two "new" Beatles tracks as well as the making of the FREE AS A BIRD video - and finally we get the REAL LOVE video which was not included on the VHS version of ANTHOLOGY.

The section that supposedly explains how the ANTHOLOGY cd's were compiled is not as detailed as I was hoping for, but it's still another essential addition to this set.

I'm still skipping around on the other discs. I haven't seen this in at least 5 years. My VHS version sort of "vanished" during my marriage to an idiot. I must say that I'm quickly reminded how ANTHOLOGY simply blows all other Beatles documentaries out of the water. I thought the COMPLEAT BEATLES was one of the better ones, but ANTHOLOGY is an impressive work. You'll probably never see as much rarely seen footage and commonly seen footage of The Beatles together in one place in chronological sequence as you get in ANTHOLOGY. The way they used John, Paul, George and Ringo's own words to tell the story is the result of a brilliant editing job. This set is a MUST for a fan of The Beatles - even the most casual fan.

I'm interested to hear about the 5.1 surround sound from someone who has a decent surround sound system. In the regular stereo I get over my boom back hooked up to the DVD player, the stereo recordings sound quite nice!

So, when's LET IT BE coming out??????[:p]
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:36 pm

I figure people can put their reviews and opinions here. I'm reluctant to call my post a review, as I'm not a great writer, but none the less I'm going to express my thoughts on the ANTHOLOGY dvd set.

As far as the price is concerned, I paid 69.99 (74.89 with tax) at COCONUTS. However COCONUTS is owned by Trans World Music (who own FYE as well), and Trans World is offering a $20 mail in rebate that must be post marked by April 5th - so I'll really have paid 54.88. I was in a hurry to get this, so I didn't go crazy comparing prices at different stores. Wal-mart has it for around 69 dollars plus tax, but without a rebate offer. Seeing that the old VHS box of 8 tapes went for around $120 back in 1996, this is indeed a reasonable price. Maybe I could have done better on line somewhere, but I hate waiting for things!

Like most of us did and will, I went straight for the SPECIAL FEATURES disc. It was great to see Paul, George and Ringo hanging out together having a good time looking back - as well as jamming. I also very much enjoyed the part where you can see Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin at the mixing console listening to various session tapes. They have a friendly debate over who played the bass on GOLDEN SLUMBERS as they played an early take with just piano, vocal, bass and drums. Paul thought he had overdubbed it, but George Martin explained that the take was "live / no overdubs" at that point. Funnily Harrison asks "What album is that from?" and Paul picks on George for his lack of Beatles' expertise.

This disc also includes a peek into the recording sessions for the two "new" Beatles tracks as well as the making of the FREE AS A BIRD video - and finally we get the REAL LOVE video which was not included on the VHS version of ANTHOLOGY.

The section that supposedly explains how the ANTHOLOGY cd's were compiled is not as detailed as I was hoping for, but it's still another essential addition to this set.

I'm still skipping around on the other discs. I haven't seen this in at least 5 years. My VHS version sort of "vanished" during my marriage to an idiot. I must say that I'm quickly reminded how ANTHOLOGY simply blows all other Beatles documentaries out of the water. I thought the COMPLEAT BEATLES was one of the better ones, but ANTHOLOGY is an impressive work. You'll probably never see as much rarely seen footage and commonly seen footage of The Beatles together in one place in chronological sequence as you get in ANTHOLOGY. The way they used John, Paul, George and Ringo's own words to tell the story is the result of a brilliant editing job. This set is a MUST for a fan of The Beatles - even the most casual fan.

I'm interested to hear about the 5.1 surround sound from someone who has a decent surround sound system. In the regular stereo I get over my boom back hooked up to the DVD player, the stereo recordings sound quite nice!

So, when's LET IT BE coming out??????[:p]
DylansMrJones

Postby paja » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:37 pm

I got my copy at Borders for $59.95 and I had a 15% off coupon that I found in the Chicago Tribune the day I bought the set.[:D]
paja

Postby Steve-o » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:05 am

I've watched most of it. At 11:13 total running time, I can't believe how much more added forrtage there is compared to the original broadcast. Minus the bonus disc, it still comes to 9:53. I never bought the VHS versions. How long were they in total?

I'm very happy with this DVD. The crystal clear footage of Shea and other milestones is unreal. All of the promo videos (most at their original length) was a great touch. I paid 47.99 at Best Buy, and it is, WAD, my best beatles buy ever. What a deal. I will watch this thing over and over. And, of course, with the programs divided in a logical manner, it is easy to jump to what you want. AWESOME!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:35 am

I'm enjoying mine, too. It came in the mail April 2 (hence I've not been around--but been busy, too). True stevew628, the footage is all so much more clearer in many sections as compared to vhs. I'm picking up on background music I never noticed before, too.

This may be a long shot, but: Question for those familiar with obscure mid-60s albums. As John is entering Abbey Road studio for a Sgt. Pepper session, he is stopped by a reporter and asked about the Beatles continuing as a group.

John is holding an armful of record albums, and the top one looks familiar...maybe Moby Grape? or maybe MC5? Anyone know?
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby DylansMrJones » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:48 pm

I was trying to figure out which LP that was also, only a few short hours ago!
DylansMrJones

Postby Steve-o » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by theDingle
[John is holding an armful of record albums, and the top one looks familiar...maybe Moby Grape? or maybe MC5? Anyone know?[/font=Comic Sans MS][/b]
I can't make out what album it is....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby LadyDi4476 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:42 pm

I absolutely love the anthology set. I had no idea when I purchased it that it would be so much longer than the original that aired on ABC a few years back. It's 11 hours of pure entertainment. Everything and anything you'd want to know about them is included. The footage of the 3 of them from the special features is just so bitter sweet. I often wonder what it would have been like if John had been there chatting with them. The stories they tell are so awesome. I can watch it forever, it's a fabulous collection and my favorite dvd ever. :)
LadyDi4476

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:48 pm

The entire project was handled with care and class. I'm still amazed that we got more than 7 hours of previously unreleased Beatles music on the ANTHOLOGY cds. How easily they could have not bothered so much. They could have just made another compilation with maybe a small handful of outtakes. Instead they give us nothing but unreleased tracks (with the exception of the Tony Sheridan material and the Decca stuff).

The televised version of ANTHOLOGY brought a lot of new fans aboard. I know a few "kids" who bought the ANTHOLOGY cds when they came out because of the TV broadcast of the abridged documentary. Then when it came out on VHS it had about 5 extra hours of footage - not seen on TV.

Needless to say, the compact disc/dvd is a much more stable method of preserving music/video. My ANTHOLOGY VHS collection aquired a few tape glitches just from normal use. By now I'm sure I'd have worn it out! I'll never know, as hard times caused me to sell it. Now on dvd discs, with proper care my ANTHOLOGY will be watchable for the rest of my life and beyond.

On a side note - it was nice to see the Brian Epstein tribute piece that was used at the point in ANTHOLOGY when he had died. The footage of Brian running along with YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY was put together nicely. A touching tribute to a man who we often don't think about - but if it weren't for him, who knows whose forum we'd be at!
DylansMrJones

Postby bianca_macca » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:12 am

I bought the dvd's yesterday and I haven't watched them all yet, but I'm already happily surprised now!! I just saw the first episode and the special features and I think it's all so great. Man, it's so much new footage. I think I'll have a very nice summer with this..[:D][:D]
bianca_macca
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions