Beach Boys' Mike Love and the Beatles

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:57 am

We saw the Beach Boys in concert up in Milwaukee @ Summerfest. Btw, BB did a cover of "Rock and Roll Music." Mike Love had mentioned briefly in the concert how he was in India in early 1968 and how he met the Maharishi. I forgot that he was there at the same time the Beatles, Mia Farrow, and Donovan were. How interesting it would be to ask Mike Love about his recollections and interactions with the Beatles there at that time? I did read that when Paul was writing "Back in the USSR", ML gave some input to Paul for the song:

"I was sitting at the breakfast table and McCartney came down with his acoustic guitar and he was playing Back In The USSR, and I told him that what you ought to do is talk about the girls all around Russia, the Ukraine and Georgia. He was plenty creative not to need any lyrical help from me but I gave him the idea for that little section... I think it was light-hearted and humorous of them to do a take on the Beach Boys." - Mike Love in
"Many Years From Now" by Barry Miles

Here are some pictures of Mike Love taken with the Beatles and members of their entourage in Rishikesh, India in February, 1968.

ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions