Harrison and Lennon on RS's 100 Greatest Guitarists

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Re: Harrison and Lennon on RS's 100 Greatest Guitarists

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm not a guitar person. I know what I like when I hear it. I did see Paul in 1990 in Boston, filming his DVD and between takes the band jammed and I was totally impressed by Paul's bass playing. I have heard a lot of people say he is an okay bass player but after that, I will take anyone who says that out back and stomp the stuffing out of him or her.

I can play the radio as I have stated before. George is good but then I have not focused in on his playing but I would not say John is but I do agree with his writing ability and his rock n'roll voice. But I really don't zoom in on any one instrument when listening to a song.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I understand, some people like their guitar players to be flashy and some people don't (I don't need it), but flash is not always substance and simplicity can sometimes be brilliant. I don't mean to say that Joe Bonnamassa for example isn't a great guitarist, but it doesn't really put the thrill into me, you know? I'll take Paul's biting solos on Taxman or John's sinister snarling on You Can't Do That or George's searing lead on Hey Bulldog or...well my point is, why do all the great guitarists have to be blues and heavy metal? I wonder if U2's lead guitarist made it to that list, I think he's pretty good, innovative and original and not at all bluesy or conventional.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 pm

i get what you're saying. i love the blues...and the bluesy riffs just make me tingle. but i am open to the fact that they may not float everyone's boat. but you don't have to play the blues to be great. now, admittedly, i have not seen the list (other than the top 10), but fleetwood mac's lindsey buckingham was/is a master guitarist as well. rarely playing flashy...sometimes playing only one note where many of his peers would have played 5 or 6.

just a matter of who moves who, i guess. but the opinions of both critics and the musician's peers are no doubt important in accumulating a list like this, i'd guess.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:00 am

lindsey b came in, i believe, right at 100...the edge was of course, farther up the list, but not as high as i would've put him...you can access the whole list by using the jump provided on the first page and scrolling along the top once you are there....
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Previous

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions