"Arena: Produced by George Martin" documentary on BBC2

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Anyone in the UK watch the BBC2 documentary called "Arena: Produced by George Martin"? What did you think of it? Were there any new surprises or facts revealed? I read that Paul McCartney and Michael Palin were in it.

I'm not sure if we will be seeing it anytime soon in America or at all. Hopefully, BBC America or PBS might pick it up and air it in the months to come. Or someone may upload it to YouTube.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: "Arena: Produced by George Martin" documentary on BBC2

Postby tristanjblythe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:18 am

Paul and Ringo were both in it. They spoke to George about WW2 - Ringo about the blitz and Paul about George's service. they both spoke about The Beatles too of course! Michael Palin chatted about George's comedy work, especially with Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers.

It was a very good programme, I thought. Basically George Martin chatting about his life and work to camera and with a few people (Paul, Ringo, Michael, his wife, Giles, Howard Goodall [about Beatles and Eleanor Rigby in particular]). Also a couple of artists he worked with just spoke about him (Jeff Beck, America, Rolf Harris, Bernard Cribbins, Cilla Black).

Lots of Beatles stuff. Not too many new stories, but the chance to see Paul and Ringo chatting to him was interesting. Clearly still friendly and grateful to George for allowing their ideas to come to life and adding ideas to their sound.

All in all, George Martin came across as a talented, charming and good natured guy. Although now 85 still active and mentally clear. Well made programme too.

PS - tried not to give to much away for those that haven't seen it yet!
tristanjblythe

Re: "Arena: Produced by George Martin" documentary on BBC2

Postby james1985 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:30 am

It was absolutely wonderful
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions