Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time

Get a sneak peek at Rolling Stone
Magazine's new collectors issue of the greatest band's 100 greatest songs

By Rolling Stone
Aug 25, 2010

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/194557

In Rolling Stone's new Special Collectors Edition issue, we count down the 100 greatest songs from the greatest band of all time: The Beatles. Check out the top 10 songs now, before the issue hits stands. "The Beatles: 100 Greatest Songs" also features Paul and John talking about their favorite tracks, the Fab Four's best cover songs, and George Harrison's finest guitar work. "Lennon, McCartney and Harrison had stunningly high standards as writers," Elvis Costello says in his introduction. "Then they started to really grow up: simple love lyrics to adult stories like 'Norwegian Wood,' which spoke of the sour side of love, and on to bigger ideas than you would expect to find in catchy pop lyrics."

What song do you think is Number One?

#10: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

The lyrics for George Harrison's first truly great Beatles song began as a deliberate accident — and it wasn't until Harrison pulled Eric Clapton in to play guitar that the arrangement was finished.

#9: "Come Together"

Originally intended by Lennon as a campaign song for LSD guru Timothy Leary's campaign for California's governor in 1970, this became the last song all four Beatles cut in the studio together.

#8: "Let It Be"

McCartney channeled Aretha Franklin's soul in "Let It Be," recorded during the peak of the Beatles' troubled times. A month after its 1970 release, McCartney announced the band had broken up.

#7: "Hey Jude"

McCartney's lyrics for "Hey Jude" were inspired by John and Cynthia Lennon's five-year-old son, Julian — but Lennon first thought McCartney was singing to him about his relationship with Yoko Ono.

#6: "Something"

Before it became the second-most-covered Beatles song behind "Yesterday," Lennon said this unexpected Harrison track was "the best track on [Abbey Road]" and McCartney called it "the best song [Harrison has] written."

#5: "In My Life"

"In My Life," featuring Lennon's most personal lyrics up to the song's release, is one of only a handful of Lennon-McCartney songs where the two strongly disagreed over who wrote what.

#4: "Yesterday"

The most covered song in history began as something called "Scrambled Eggs." It also began as a dream.

#3: "Strawberry Fields Forever"

Lennon once said growing up "was scary because there was nobody to relate to." Strawberry Field the place (a Liverpool children's home near where Lennon grew up) represented those haunting childhood visions. With this song, Lennon conquered them forever.

#2: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was most American's first exposure to the songwriting magic of Lennon and McCartney, setting off Beatlemania. It represented what producer George Martin calls "the apex of Phase One of the Beatles' development."

#1: "A Day in the Life"

The ultimate Lennon-McCartney collaboration, "A Day in the Life" wasn't recognized as the band's masterwork until the Eighties, after Lennon's death. It pairs lyrics inspired by the newspapers and Lennon's own life with McCartney's idea to have classical musicians perform what producer George Martin called an "orchestral orgasm."

For more on the rest of the 100 greatest Beatles songs, pick up Rolling Stone: The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs on sale at http://www.barnesandnoble.com now.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Rolling Stone: The Top Ten Beatles Songs of All Time

Postby chris » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:31 pm

when i see a list like this, i immediately start to formulate my own list in my head. but i have no problem with this list. in fact, i am glad to see george is well represented.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:34 pm

When I see a list like this it makes me think....oh yeah Rolling Stone. X_X
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby eggman1979 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

How come Norwegian wood and I'm only sleeping are not in the top ten?
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Eleanor Rigby?
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bobo166 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:43 am

1. A Day In A Life
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. While My Guitar.......
4. Strawberry Fields...
5. Penny Lane
6. In My Life
7. Yesterday
8. Something
9. She's Leaving Home
10. I am The Walrurs
11.Hey Jude
12. All You Need is Love
13. Here Comes The Sun
14. Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Hey Bulldog
16. Please Please Me
17. Help!
18. Norwegian Wood
19. Girl
20. Come Togehter
bobo166

Postby RickStark79 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:19 am

Come Together shouldn't even be in the top 50, and while I can appreciate the impact that I Want To Hold Your Hand had on music, it's too high as well. And while it wouldn't be in my personal top, Hey Jude should be #1
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccafan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 pm

A Day In The Life, give me a break! It wasn't even a hit, and I know this list isn't just going by the hits, but the average person wouldn't even know that song!

Hey Jude was the biggest hit the Beatles ever had, and who on Earth doesn't know it? Without a doubt it should of been #1!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jgkojak » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:35 am

Well, since its Rolling Stone, its a very politically drawn list- not political left/right, but political within the dymanics of the Beatles.

A Day in the Life is the quintessential John/Paul collaboration, so its an easy song to put on top without offending. Likewise, While My Guitar Gently Weeps gives George another entry in the Top 10.

My analysis:
#10: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Probably 10-15 spots too high- I'm fine with it being here, and the difference in this case between #10 and #25 is not that great. Again, political choice for George.

#9: "Come Together"

Again, 10-15 spots too high. Its on here because its a defining song for John personally. You'll note that Paul is rated on the quality of his songs (as he should be), John on the PERSONAL/emotional impact of his songs.

#8: "Let It Be"

I'm fine with this. There is no U2 without Let It Be.

#7: "Hey Jude"

I believe this should be #1 or at least #2. Its their biggest hit, has all the elements of a great Beatles song.

#6: "Something"

I agree with this- in fact, thought this might be #4

#5: "In My Life"

Over-rated. Its another collaboration, but people tend to rate the steller first verse and ignore the pedestrian lyrics in the rest of the song. And musically, its good, but no different than a dozen other Beatle songs.

#4: "Yesterday"

Yep, you gotta throw this one in the top 5 somewhere.

#3: "Strawberry Fields Forever"

Again, the EMOTIONAL impact of a Lennon number - not that this doesn't deserve to be in the Top 5 - it does.

#2: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

Way way over-rated. I'd probably put She Loves You ahead of this.

#1: "A Day in the Life"
\M/
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 pm

the list really doesn't matter, and not just because it is put togethr by R.S.: but becasue none of the fasn will ever agree on any one list being competely accurate to how they feel, so, it wou;dn't matter who did the list, anyway.

i will say this..i'm kinda-sorta in agreement on 'a day..'

i've seen/heard/ read quite a few reports on this list, and almost all have made some effort to point out that this song seem to have grown in stature through the years...

i can see that...
it's a far more mature look down the same road that gave us 'penny lane', 'S.F.F.' or 'in my life'..it has the added plus of 'feeling' like a stressed out moment of life...and all the little kiddies of beatle-ville have all grown up and can reasonably 'get' that, especially these days song...it 'feels' so real, even now.

either way, it's all timeless stuff.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions