Dinner for Schmucks

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Dinner for Schmucks

Postby redrose » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 am

The Beatles have allowed their 'Fool on the Hill' to be used over the opening credits in the new film 'Dinner for Schmucks'. The film is from Speilberg's Dreamworks. Apparently both Sir Paul and Yoko Ono have seen and like the film.

The late Neil Aspinall, who ran the Beatles' Apple Corps for almost 40 years was adamant that the Beatles identity not be demeaned or over exposed. I can't think of any other film or advert where their music was used, but I think Neil was right and very far thinking, and this put them in a league of their own.

Does anyone know of any other unrelated Beatle film/advert where their music was played? Obviously the 'Love' show by Cirque du Soleil did, but that was a celebration of their music anyway! I recently watched 'Nowhere Boy' and there were just little clips of John's 'Hello Little Girl' and 'In spite of all the danger' which was the first song recorded by the Quarrymen.

Do you think that the Beatles music would have been so enduring if we'd heard it regularly on advertising jingles and on films?

love and peace

redrose
@};-
redrose
redrose

Re: Dinner for Schmucks

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Unfortunately The Beatles lost control of who, where or when their songs will be used a long, long time ago. In more recent decades Michael Jackson/Sony have control for now. That is why you seen Beatle songs in commercials. Apple and The Beatles never approved. As for the film you mentioned, did they use the original Beatles version? If so, then yes, I would imagine The Beatles would have to approve.

By the way, I know you are new so first off, welcome. When you create new topics can you please select a category forum. The last two you did were created in the Welcome to MACCA-Forums section. I moved them both the the General Beatles Discussions where they do belong. Just makes it easier for others to follow and also makes my life a little easier. Thanks.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby jgkojak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:32 pm

I have no problem with Paul and Yoko (Or Olivia and Ringo, respectively) agreeing to the use of an actual Beatle recording in a film or project that they believe in. When they pass, I will have a problem with it. Mary seems to be the one who is being entrusted with the Macca legacy (Wingspan, etc)- I wonder if she will have primary responsibility when Macca leaves us? (Hopefully in the year 2042 or after! - though that would make Mary 70+!
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Rink » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 pm

so what it's the bloddy Beatles shut up :lol:
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 pm

big fan of both steve carell and paul rudd
Last edited by chris on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 pm

redrose wrote:Does anyone know of any other unrelated Beatle film/advert where their music was played?

he's been popping up all over the place. as was recently brought up in another thread...a few of paul's songs from mccartney appeared in jerry mcguire. in private (a bonus song from memory almost full) appeared in judd apatow's funny people. and in the new adam sandler flick grown ups featured (i think) goodnight tonight. there are more i'm sure...but i have exausted my off-the-top-of-my-headedness...

redrose wrote:Do you think that the Beatles music would have been so enduring if we'd heard it regularly on advertising jingles and on films?

i think it would have endured because it just happens to be the best music ever recorded. but it would have been cheapened somehow. i don't care to think about dryer sheets, or car polish, or chocolate bars when i hear a beatle song. i'm glad it has been relatively left alone.

and welcome to this forum. i have already enjoyed your posts. keep up the nice work
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 am

PUUUUHHHLLLEEEEEZZE !!
beatle songs being used...?!
not new at all !!

everybody sing: when i get older, losing hair, many years from now...

...and watch the smiley, bouncy baby fly through the sky over and over: one of the best '80's movie...one of the most memorable credit sequences...THE best john irving adaption..a classic film...the world according to garp !

c'mon !

and, i think the 'garp' usage may predate M.J.'s purchase, tho..don't hold me to that
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions