Beatles Photo Session Questions

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:59 pm

I would like to know if the 2 below photos of Astronaut Paul and John were taken by the same photographer? Were they from the same photo session? Were there photos of George and Ringo from this session? Were there group photos of the Beatles from this session? They looked like they date from 1965.

ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Beatles Photo Session Questions

Postby james1985 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Never seen those before. Astronaut Paul looks a bit fake...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mb24jg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Here you go: the astronaut photos were taken for a photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar in 1965. I don't know about the john pic, but if you visit the links you can see that Ringo was also photographed in an equally fun costume. No photoshop here! :-D

Richard Avedon Photos: April 1965 Bazaar

One of the most memorable fashion magazine issues of the 1960s was the April 1965 Bazaar. Richard Avedon was celebrating 20 years with Bazaar and was the Guest Editor and sole photographer.

A NEW sub-album entitled Bazaar Magazine, April 1965 - Photographer: Richard Avedon has been created in the History of Modeling Album: 60s Press - Articles and Books About the 60s for 11 of the pages. Here are 7 of them plus the front cover:
DOWNLOAD

In the December 2009 Vanity Fair magazine, this iconic issue is featured in the article The Now of Avedon by David Michaelis:

The Now of Avedon
When photographer Richard Avedon edited a special issue of Harper’s Bazaar, in April 1965, it wasn’t simply fashion—it was the future. Recalling Avedon’s prophetic mix of Space Age, multi-racial youthquake symbols (the Beatles! the Astronettes! Jean Shrimpton!), David Michaelis tells how America’s national portraitist rejuvenated his career.
DOWNLOAD
mb24jg

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank you so very much, mb24jg! This answers my question about the Astronaut Paul pic. I had no idea it was taken by Richard Avedon. Seeing the other Astronaut Paul and the Roman Ringo pics were a real treat and surprise. I had no idea that they were for Harper's Bazaar. I am familiar with the pics that Avedon did with the Beatles in 1967.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions