"Early Beatles"

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

"Early Beatles"

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:39 am

I have a lot of issues with listening to a lot of the early Beatles stuff pre-1965. When i was younger, i loved to hear harmony and the simpicity of the music. However, as i have heard the songs many, many times and i got more sophicated about music, i kind of get annoyed at how cheap and weak the sounds were recorded (little or no bass, too much treble, drums being weak in the mix) - For me as a music fan, i sort of have to take a pass at some of the early Beatles songs just because the mixes are horrid and the songs have been played over-kill.

Even Rubber Sould as great as it is - you really have to aggressively try to hear the bass in the mixes and that's a goddamn disgrace especially on the Word and others. It's just poor recording really.

Sure, i get a kick out of hearing "Hard Days Night" or "8 days a week" on the anthology with a different mix or a raunchier sound. But, to sort of sit through "I want to hold your hand", "She loves you", "Love me do" - eh, i have to pass since there's nothing really special about these songs. Sure, something like "No Reply", "If i fell" or "I'll be back" i can hear again and again cause of the harmony or the mix of the songs or the fact that they are not over-played but listening to "I should have known better" or "Please mister post-man" - i'd have to refrain from playing them again because they don't offer anything to me anymore from a musical stand-point and it's a bit of over-kill. I feel the same way about most of the popular motown songs (My Girl, I'll be there") between golden oldies radio, movies, television, the saturation point of these songs is enough to make you want to bury the masters.

I kind of feel the saturation level of these early Beatles songs has been reached.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

"Early Beatles"

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:39 am

I have a lot of issues with listening to a lot of the early Beatles stuff pre-1965. When i was younger, i loved to hear harmony and the simpicity of the music. However, as i have heard the songs many, many times and i got more sophicated about music, i kind of get annoyed at how cheap and weak the sounds were recorded (little or no bass, too much treble, drums being weak in the mix) - For me as a music fan, i sort of have to take a pass at some of the early Beatles songs just because the mixes are horrid and the songs have been played over-kill.

Even Rubber Sould as great as it is - you really have to aggressively try to hear the bass in the mixes and that's a goddamn disgrace especially on the Word and others. It's just poor recording really.

Sure, i get a kick out of hearing "Hard Days Night" or "8 days a week" on the anthology with a different mix or a raunchier sound. But, to sort of sit through "I want to hold your hand", "She loves you", "Love me do" - eh, i have to pass since there's nothing really special about these songs. Sure, something like "No Reply", "If i fell" or "I'll be back" i can hear again and again cause of the harmony or the mix of the songs or the fact that they are not over-played but listening to "I should have known better" or "Please mister post-man" - i'd have to refrain from playing them again because they don't offer anything to me anymore from a musical stand-point and it's a bit of over-kill. I feel the same way about most of the popular motown songs (My Girl, I'll be there") between golden oldies radio, movies, television, the saturation point of these songs is enough to make you want to bury the masters.

I kind of feel the saturation level of these early Beatles songs has been reached.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:43 am

Chris,
negative negative...
You know the recording equipment in those days was very inferior to what is available now. They started off using two tracks at Abbey Road after all. Even Pepper was 4 track. Considering what they had to deal with, I think we are so blessed to have such brilliant music.
Paul has recently mentioned that he has heard The Beatles music remastered in 5.1 surround sound and it sounds fabulous.
I think in the future we will be getting a completely new catalogue available.
On Paul's new DVD, setup has an option to hear the DVD in 5.1 surround sound.
And Chris, anytime you think that the saturation level of those early Beatles songs have been reached, turn on the new DVD. Check the attendance records Paul set on both legs of the US tour. Ask the members on this board for their opinion on saturation levels.
There's no such thing. Never. I knew that when I was 12. That was 38+ years ago.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:39 am

Auj--CS just writes those opinions to get a rise out of everyone. Not many read that stuff anymore or pay much attention to it, really. Another YAWNER. Nothing personal about old Chris, but it's the same old thing day after day--just has a new title and a new object of his affliction. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:26 am

I don't care about the sound quality of She Loves You. It's just so catchy, it doesn't matter how bad it sounds.

And how can it be that the saturation level is only reached after 40 years? I'd think if it could be reached, it had been reached long before now.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:22 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Auj--CS just writes those opinions to get a rise out of everyone. Not many read that stuff anymore or pay much attention to it, really. Another YAWNER. Nothing personal about old Chris, but it's the same old thing day after day--just has a new title and a new object of his affliction. [:D]

This is true, Steve. Okay Chris, no supper for you- get yer jammies on and go to bed.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:34 pm

I can honestly say that I find more pleasure in the Beatles' music from 1965 on than I do with the early stuff. HOWEVER....when the mood strikes me to listen to the older stuff I realize just how serious the young Beatles were about their music, and I find their early music to be so much more advanced than their peers in the same time frame.
DylansMrJones

Postby Man Tissa » Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:27 pm

The bass sound on Rubber Soul is great...believe me upgrade your system or listen to it on someone elses.... it is much richer than the bass sound on Revolver which was a more guitar oriented album...the word has some wicked little bass licks...now that's a song that would kick some butt live...
Man Tissa

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:45 pm

Good point. The word live would be a real gem in my book. I think it's a song should do. I always felt Revolver had the better bass lines but Rubber soul on my system just doesn't cut it on bass - but, maybe i don't have the right player
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:01 pm

I disagree about the Beatles early stuff pre-1965. I like some of it but i can't feel some of their early songs anymore. Maybe, because they are too simple or the fact that they were recorded too primitively. Probably a little bit of both. I think songs like "And i love her" and "I'll be back" are both brilliant regardless of time period but others are a little off.

I must say that a lot of oldies radio is not playing 50's and pre 1967 music. It's interesting to hear oldies radio embracing the 80's at the expense of cutting their 50's and pre 1967 songs.

It's just interesting that the 50's and mid 60's songs will not be heard with as much frequency
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions