James Coburn Dead at 74

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

James Coburn Dead at 74

Postby maccastheman » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:36 pm

This is from an article on CNN.com. They summarize Coburn's accomplishments very well, and mention the "Band on the Run" cover.

Oscar-winning actor James Coburn dead at 74
Known for tough guys and humor

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) --Actor James Coburn, the Academy Award-winning actor whose roles included tough-guy villains, the roguish secret agent Flint and the resourceful "president's analyst," died Monday. He was 74.

Coburn died of a heart attack as he and his wife were listening to music at their Beverly Hills home, according to Coburn's manager, Hillard Elkins. He was pronounced dead at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

"He was in his wife's arms," Elkins said. "He died fast and happy."

Coburn overcame a long battle with rheumatoid arthritis in the '80s and '90s to win a best supporting actor Oscar for his role in 1997's "Affliction," in which he played the abusive, alcoholic father of Nick Nolte and Willem Dafoe. But he may be best remembered for his earlier roles in such films as "The Magnificent Seven" (1960), "The Great Escape" (1963), the two James Bond spoofs "Our Man Flint" (1966) and "In Like Flint" (1967), and as Pat Garrett in Sam Peckinpah's "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" (1973).

Coburn produced and played the title role in 1967's "The President's Analyst," a comedy about an insidious conspiracy that has grown in critical estimation over the years, and appeared on the cover of the 1973 Paul McCartney and Wings album "Band on the Run."
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

James Coburn Dead at 74

Postby maccastheman » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:36 pm

This is from an article on CNN.com. They summarize Coburn's accomplishments very well, and mention the "Band on the Run" cover.

Oscar-winning actor James Coburn dead at 74
Known for tough guys and humor

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) --Actor James Coburn, the Academy Award-winning actor whose roles included tough-guy villains, the roguish secret agent Flint and the resourceful "president's analyst," died Monday. He was 74.

Coburn died of a heart attack as he and his wife were listening to music at their Beverly Hills home, according to Coburn's manager, Hillard Elkins. He was pronounced dead at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

"He was in his wife's arms," Elkins said. "He died fast and happy."

Coburn overcame a long battle with rheumatoid arthritis in the '80s and '90s to win a best supporting actor Oscar for his role in 1997's "Affliction," in which he played the abusive, alcoholic father of Nick Nolte and Willem Dafoe. But he may be best remembered for his earlier roles in such films as "The Magnificent Seven" (1960), "The Great Escape" (1963), the two James Bond spoofs "Our Man Flint" (1966) and "In Like Flint" (1967), and as Pat Garrett in Sam Peckinpah's "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" (1973).

Coburn produced and played the title role in 1967's "The President's Analyst," a comedy about an insidious conspiracy that has grown in critical estimation over the years, and appeared on the cover of the 1973 Paul McCartney and Wings album "Band on the Run."
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:46 pm

Thats sad. He was very cool. I loved him as the bad guy in Charade, and the pre Austin-Powers type in the Flint movies. He will be missed.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:15 pm

I always think of him as Bret in The Magnificent Seven.
But it's funny because that character is nothing like James.
James is so funny and had a big personality and Bret was so sullen and quiet- the gunman. What a character he pulled off in that film.
So memorable
Of course, he was on the cover of BOTR and Linda and Paul knew him.
Bless him and his family.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:13 pm

His association with Paul and Linda on Band on the Run is detailed by Paul and him on the Band on the Run 25th anniversary issue. Paul saw him in The Manificent Seven and selected James among others to ring up out of the blue to ask if they'd do the album cover.

In Like Flint, Our Man Flint just classic stuff. Like Dean Martin's "Matt Helm" series. Totally different than Austin-Powers, like 30 years difference. More a mid-point between Bond and Powers.

I did see that movie, "Affliction," in which he played the abusive, alcoholic father of Nick Nolte and he was very good in it, I didn't realize he won an Academy Award for that role. It was deserved.
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:11 pm

In Like Flint was was Austin's Fave movie baby, Yeah! Seriously--That character was 1/2 way between AP and JB, but it was definately tongue-in-cheek.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. kite » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:55 pm

One of the great actors of our time.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shinestar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:15 am

James Coburn was a great actor and will be sorely missed. Years ago, when I first moved here and my mom came out to visit, I took her to Paddington's Tea Room which is my favorite tea place. An older gentleman dressed in khakis and a windbreaker, accompanied by a much younger woman, came in and sat at the table next to us. We knew he was a famous actor and couldn't think of his name. I was afraid mom would say something to him, something embarrassing and began talking about a phone call I'd had that morning from a friend in RI. He kept glancing over at us, obviously listening to our conversation. When we left, we realized it was James Coburn. That woman became his wife. Mom made a fuss because he was casually dressed; she thought a famous person should dress up in public. But hey, it's L.A. and a very casual place. He looked great.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:31 am

Nice story, Shinestar.
Ram1

Postby shinestar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:25 pm

Thanks, Ram! I thought so too. [:)]
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to MACCA - all discussions