MACCAS BASS STRINGS!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

MACCAS BASS STRINGS!

Postby Helter Skelter » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:11 am

I´ve just bought an original hofner violin bassguitarr in it´s original (1964) state with the guitar case and all the knobs intact.
the strings are as old as the bass itself and I was wondering what kind of strings paul uses now on his hofner.
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

MACCAS BASS STRINGS!

Postby Helter Skelter » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:11 am

I´ve just bought an original hofner violin bassguitarr in it´s original (1964) state with the guitar case and all the knobs intact.
the strings are as old as the bass itself and I was wondering what kind of strings paul uses now on his hofner.
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Brains » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:01 am

I have an original Höfner too. It was late sixties, the guy at the shop said. It had original strings when I bought them, they were roundwound. I think Paul still uses them, also used them on his Rickenbacker. I replaced them with roundwounds, after 30 years those flats didn't sound so good anymore [8D].
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:16 am

He uses flat wound, even on the Ricky.

I bought a 1964 re-issue from a Hofner dealer at the Liverpool convention in '97, he's the guy who has the bass that was stolen from Paul in the 60's and tried to sell it to Paul.

He said Paul uses flat wound, the bass came with Clib 62 Josima strings (Hofner strings made in Germany). I bought an extra set at the time, no, they are not for sale. The address of the dealer Music Ground is 51 Hallgate, Doncaster, S. Yorks Engand DN1 3PB

I decided on the re-issue rather than an original for the main reason is the re-issue is actually playable and stays in tune because it comes already modified with the rod in the neck and the neck bridge is fastened to the base much better, other than that it looks and sounds great.

I made the mistake and put round wound srings on my '76 Ricky and it just don't cut it. Haven't used it enough to put flats on it yet.
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby megs » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:58 pm

i read in a paul interview somewhere on this site that he went into a shop to get his bass tuned and the guy asked him what type of strings he used and paul said "long shiney ones", i thought that was sorta funny when i read it[:D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:26 am

[B)][B)] I meant to say flatwound the first time... now I said "it had roundwounds and I replaced them with roundwounds" Sorry![B)][B)]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to MACCA - all discussions