New Wings-span book

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

New Wings-span book

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:28 pm

Very pysched last night. To get the new Wings-span book. Excellent photos! Very nicely done. But, in my opinion, the new book is a disappoinment when compared to the Beatle Anthology book. The Beatle anthology book was phenomenal because it was well-balanced and very detailed oriented. Wings-span drops the ball because the narration is just Paul. And get this - it's only Paul being interviewed by Alistiar Donald (his son-in law) and Daugther but just over a two day period in Feb 2001. How lame is that? What? He couldn't have devoted more than two days to the book. C'mon! No background interviews with Denny Seiwell, Denny Laine, Juber, McCullogh (Henry) or with Geoff Emerick or even with Alan Crowder or other MPL folks. Overall, the book is a must have because of the photos. But, you won't find any extensive history of Wings and that's a shame!! As a part-time writer and big Wings fan, I was big-time disappointed. And rather than surround himself with his son-in-law who is a bit lacking in his production duties, somebody should have had the guts to tell Paul to do a bit more balance around the history instead of trying to present just one point of view.

As usual, Paul limits and controls the narration at the point where the information being discussed is a cut above say a detailed liner notes from a CD package.

Bottom line: Love the Photos - was very miffed at the lack of details or lack of cooperation from other Wings members. I really think Paul should try to offer a bit more balanced history of an outstanding group. Really lame!

On the other hand, the new Saturday Night Live book is outstanding. What a collection!! Inside dirt on one of the best shows on tv!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

New Wings-span book

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:28 pm

Very pysched last night. To get the new Wings-span book. Excellent photos! Very nicely done. But, in my opinion, the new book is a disappoinment when compared to the Beatle Anthology book. The Beatle anthology book was phenomenal because it was well-balanced and very detailed oriented. Wings-span drops the ball because the narration is just Paul. And get this - it's only Paul being interviewed by Alistiar Donald (his son-in law) and Daugther but just over a two day period in Feb 2001. How lame is that? What? He couldn't have devoted more than two days to the book. C'mon! No background interviews with Denny Seiwell, Denny Laine, Juber, McCullogh (Henry) or with Geoff Emerick or even with Alan Crowder or other MPL folks. Overall, the book is a must have because of the photos. But, you won't find any extensive history of Wings and that's a shame!! As a part-time writer and big Wings fan, I was big-time disappointed. And rather than surround himself with his son-in-law who is a bit lacking in his production duties, somebody should have had the guts to tell Paul to do a bit more balance around the history instead of trying to present just one point of view.

As usual, Paul limits and controls the narration at the point where the information being discussed is a cut above say a detailed liner notes from a CD package.

Bottom line: Love the Photos - was very miffed at the lack of details or lack of cooperation from other Wings members. I really think Paul should try to offer a bit more balanced history of an outstanding group. Really lame!

On the other hand, the new Saturday Night Live book is outstanding. What a collection!! Inside dirt on one of the best shows on tv!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:02 am

I'm anxious to see it. But a more "balanced" history of the "group"? Paul WAS the group. He could call his current line-up "wings" if he wanted. I really don't want to read what Joe English or anyone else thought about things. SOme of the "wings" players have already contributed to other books.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:09 am

I guess we disagree on that. Why shouldn't we hear the other guys? They have a lot to say. Paul's version is to tell the same tired old stories over and over again. As far as revelations or thoughts into his composing process or the sessions for band on the run, you get zero insight. Instead, you get some really nice photos but very little detail.

Like i said, the book is worth it for the photos. But, Macca sort of stiffs the fans for those hungry for detail. Denny Laine's words were distorted and changed for all those stories Guiliano did on him. Blackbird was a complete hand-job on Macca and was just too gossippy. There's a good book all about Wings somwehere out there- this isn't it.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:15 am

Well, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for more stuff from the various members, I'm sure you were disappointed. I would be too if that's what I was expecting. We'll just have to disagree on that one, Chris.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby The Man » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:35 am

I agree with Chris, I have book on Paul and Wings and it has detailed insights into Geoff Briton's take on his time in Wings, his thoughts on Denny Laine and JoJo, Jimmy, Paul and Linda.... you get the other side of the story too as well as some insights into how Paul created some of the songs like Sally G.... I'd love to see a book where everybody gets a chance to recollect their time in Wings or a video/DVD ... anything... the one thing that does come across to me is that Paul is abit of a control freak on stage and in the studio... the fact that this also happened in the Beatles tends to support that theory... not saying that being a control freak is bad when its your songs and albums just that he seems to rub people up the wrong way at times....
The Man

Postby Aujouret » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:12 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I'm anxious to see it. But a more "balanced" history of the "group"? Paul WAS the group. He could call his current line-up "wings" if he wanted. I really don't want to read what Joe English or anyone else thought about things. SOme of the "wings" players have already contributed to other books.

I agree with Steve. No offense to Joe English or any of the other old Wings, but I don't care what they thought about anything. Besides there are lots of interviews with exWings in Beatlefan mag and I've probably read them all anyway. What I love about the Wingspan are the lovely photos by Linda. I also love that photo of Linda, pregnant with James taken in the Virgin Islands. That's a super photo of the lovely natural Linda.
Also, the Wingspan book is a lot like the film; it's a family story.
That's the story Paul and Mary told on camera and it's apparent in the book.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:18 am

Wings was a revolving door of musicians. Except of course for Paul, Lin, and Denny. Other than those three, I don't really care. No offense to the others, they were awesome musicians. But Wings was really about Paul, Linda and their family. Steve made a good point....Paul could just call his current lineup Wings if he wanted to. Of course that wouldn't happen without Linda, but I think you get the point.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:24 am

If you shelled out 29 bucks for the DVD of Wings-span and you shelled out 25 bucks for the book, you should get a little more for your money. I agree Paul was Wings. But, it would have been nice to get Denny's view on Band on the Run, Wildlife, and the tours.

I'm thankful for the book and it's photos. But, i was disappointed and wanted more. Some of the same stories word for word were on the 25th anniversary CD of Band on the run!! C'mon! Macca can do better than that. Why couldn't we have heard from Geoff Emerick ,John Eastman, capitol records, etc???
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:54 am

how often do we ever hear from Geoff Emerick or anyone at Capital Records or John Eastman?
If these people open their mouths, then maybe they will say something to break Paul's trust and they aren't gonna be foolish enough to take a chance like that. Remember the alledged quote made by George Martin about the state of George Harrison's health? Dear old Geprge Martin was very upset, because he never said anything to the press.
People like Denny Laine have blabbed before and broken Paul's trust and they are very obviously history.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions