That Day Is Done

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

That Day Is Done

Postby The Man » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:53 am

I've been in a FITD type mood lately and the song TDID really stands out for me now... what a great song...I have a question though ..is the character that sings the song in the first person a dead person / ghost who was a lover/partner of the woman in the song ? Anyone know what this song is really about ? I'd like to hear your views.
cheers,
The Man
The Man

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:15 am

Good question - I'll have to give it another listen. To be honest, the song never stood out for me so much initially, but it's grown on me a lot - there's quite a few like that for me on FITD. [8D]
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby The Man » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:05 am

Thanks Liam, I really like the lines:

"She sprinkles flowers in the dirt
That's when a thrill becomes a hurt"

You can almost feel the pain of the character singing the song .....

I think this song is unfairly overlooked, mainly because it is a slow one but it is my favourite ballad of FITD...
The Man

Postby Brains » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:39 am

Has anyone seen Elvis Costello's version of TDID on Linda's Concert in 1999? It was just him and someone playing the piano. I think it was even better than Paul's original. I still can't find it on mp3, so I haven't heard it since.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby trailermusic » Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:11 am

For me, this is hands down the BEST song on this album. I think the lyrics are sung as a dead person, or person with an utterly shattered and deceased heart. Listen to the vocal, though. This is one of the best vocals Paul has ever delivered. Not only extremely soulful, but it packs a punch emotionally which is a perfect match for the lyric. I swear, I still get shivers in a couple of spots in the tune. And that organ riff in the bridge!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The McCartney-Costello collaborations on FITD and OTG are brilliant - the best pairing Paul's had since John...Elvis really inspired Paul, and vice versa. I love the narrative element with the witty word plays and sardonic humor. For that reason, FITD for me ranks as Paul's best solo work (though I think everything he's done since that album is largely excellent too!)...
trailermusic

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:33 am

FITD is a bit great, as Paul's albums go - and very reminiscent of The Beatles - so many of the songs on there, you could imagine being done by the Awesome Foursome!
Liam OSM

Postby The Man » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by trailermusic
For me, this is hands down the BEST song on this album. I think the lyrics are sung as a dead person, or person with an utterly shattered and deceased heart. Listen to the vocal, though. This is one of the best vocals Paul has ever delivered. Not only extremely soulful, but it packs a punch emotionally which is a perfect match for the lyric. I swear, I still get shivers in a couple of spots in the tune. And that organ riff in the bridge!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The McCartney-Costello collaborations on FITD and OTG are brilliant - the best pairing Paul's had since John...Elvis really inspired Paul, and vice versa. I love the narrative element with the witty word plays and sardonic humor. For that reason, FITD for me ranks as Paul's best solo work (though I think everything he's done since that album is largely excellent too!)...

Hey great post trailer.... I think this song alone warrents a full album of McCartney-Costello .....but it will never happen.....
The Man

Postby JettRyder » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:33 am

That Day is Done is one of my favorite McCartney tunes. I remember it being the very last song on the 1990 pre-show video that was shown on the screen. Still haven't heard Paul do it in concert. That FITD album reminded me a lot of the Beatles. Like the ending guitar riff on My Brave Face. Sounds a lot like something from Revolver. Personally, I don't think Paul has done a better album since FITD.
JettRyder

Postby Steve-o » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:43 am

FITD is in my top 5 macca albums. Very Beatlely. It was, in my mind, at least, a HUGE comeback from him. It had been 3 LONG years since a new album from macca. That was the longest gap we had ever, up to that time, endured. And the one prior was not his best. There he was..47 years old..great first single...and the Hofner is back in action. I definately think FP eclipsed it--and then Driving Rain was better than those two.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Maestri09 » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:01 am

Really? I think McCartney's last legitimate album was "Off the ground". His later albums, which are great, do not give me that ambitious sense of taking the music further, rather they are just slow and pop songs that are in somewhat easy chord arrangements and rhyme well.
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions