Why doesn't radio play McCartney

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Why doesn't radio play McCartney

Postby maccafan » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:40 am

Guys in your opinion why doesn't radio play Pauls music?? On another site someone suggested that Paul needs to write harder rocking songs. I think that's a bunch of crap, because Lonely Road rocks pretty hard and radio didn't play that and radio didn't play the Run Devil Run album either and it definitely rocks!!
So what's the real reason Pauls music doesn't get played by radio??
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:42 am

It's bound to be the radio stations, wanting to play the newest music by the newest acts, more of this force-feeding the youth of today with senseless pop. I've heard that there's one network that doesn't play anything by anyone over 25 years old! Can you believe it!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:48 am

It's not just that. The CLASSIC rock stations don't play current McCartney music either. The only Macca music classic rock stations around here play is Wings stuff. I think stations don't play modern McCartney music for two reasons: 1. They are ignorant about it and out of touch, and 2. It all goes back to the popular myth that Paul McCartney music is lightweight and weak. And that he hasn't done anything since Wings.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:49 am

Probably the people who give Paul a hard time because John's the one that is dead - as we've discussed before, you know, the sort of people who almost make John out to be some kind of martyr . . . sickening.
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:13 pm

Well said Liam and Ram!! HERE HERE!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:21 pm

The dj on our local classic rock station gave props to driving rain the other day. I was pumped. That station always plays a lot of macca though.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby megs » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:36 pm

my station played lonly road alot when it came out i guess to promote the album and they play him a lot when he is gunna do a concert soon, actually back in april for his 1st leg they did a "month of McCartney" but other than that my station doesn't play him that much[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:22 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
Probably the people who give Paul a hard time because John's the one that is dead - as we've discussed before, you know, the sort of people who almost make John out to be some kind of martyr . . . sickening.

I so agree. It's sickening.
John would have hated being made into a martyr. He hated all that "worshipful stuff" that fans did with Elvis. He would have hated the title "Legend" for any of his albums. He wasn't a legend. He was a musician and a songwriter and a human.
Why don't they play Paul's songs? They play the old Wings or old solo Macca. Some of the songs from FP are brilliant and so much better than anything on the radio now. She's Given Up Talking is so cool.
Paul seems to have been labeled bubblegum or adult contemporary years ago and they won't play him. Makes me angry.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:29 am

Agreed, Aujouret!

People who have been around for so long and are still making new music, the radio networks probably just yawn at the prospect - "oh, gawd, McCartney's doing ANOTHER album? Why doesn't he just retire? He's too old!" - that sort of thing. Disgusting!
Liam OSM

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:59 am

here in Holland only a classic rock station plays Wings sometimes. The latest hit from Paul that I've heard on commercial stations was probably Hope of deliverance about 10 years ago. My Brave face is played from time to time but most of the commercial stations prefer to play the big sellers like Britney, Shakira, Bsb etc.

When Christmas comes around you may here wonderful christmastime or once upon along ago.

When Wonderful Christmastime comes around I'll switch to another station. I think that's one of Pauls biggest mistakes over the years. But when you've written so much beautifull stuff you're allowed to make a mistake every 10 years [;)]
Thomas

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions