Wings

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:59 pm

Well, I also would like to know what precisely happened to Wings breakup that time... I know that after John's death, Paul didn't make any album or any concert before "Tug Of War" release in 1982, that means almost 2 years between Mac 2 and TOW!! In the meantime, many things could have happened to the group break up. I don't know almost nothing about , because Paul withdrawned himself to the public and media on that period.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:49 pm

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
Well, I also would like to know what precisely happened to Wings breakup that time...

Nito--Paul does a great job of explaining the entire saga of Wings (and why it all ended) on the Wingspan DVD. It's a must see for all macca and Wings fans. Answers lots of questions that I always have had. Great show.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:03 pm

Steve - then I must see that DVD again 'cos I have that, but didn't notice an answer at my question about that period. I'll check that out again.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Brains » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:06 pm

I didn't really buy the "It's like I wanted to get busted"-story. It was his group, he didn't really have to consider the other members.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jet » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains
I didn't really buy the "It's like I wanted to get busted"-story. It was his group, he didn't really have to consider the other members.
Agreed Brains. After all, if he was really that fed up with wings, wouldn't it have been better not to book a Japanese tour in the first place, rather than make all the plans for the tour, arrive there only to be found with a large amount of marijuana in your luggage, therefore bringing about not only the end of Wings but possibly the end of your family life (he could have been jailed for a significant amount of years in which he would have missed watching his children grow up). A large price to pay just to get out of a band you were growing bored with!
jet

Postby Steve-o » Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:37 pm

The incident ruined the tour and Paul said that he was growing tired of the line-up changes ect ect. Keep in mind that the group had accomplished alot and the thrill of it all was starting to fade. He said that "it's almost as if he WANTED to get busted". I don't take it so literally. I think he was ready to move on. We'll never know how long it would have lasted without the bust, but I'm betting not long. He was ready to work with other people and try something new. I'm glad he did. After the "home-made" macca2, he loaded up and fired off one of his finest albums, Tug of War. He also got to work with alot of new poeple, which is something that he had obviously wanted to do for some time.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:36 am

Yeah. I reckon Mac2 was done very quickly after Wings ceased to be. He was just confused, and that explains the direction the album took - particularly "Nobody Knows" and "One Of These Days".

Bogey Music rules!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:43 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
Yeah. I reckon Mac2 was done very quickly after Wings ceased to be. He was just confused, and that explains the direction the album took - particularly "Nobody Knows" and "One Of These Days".

Bogey Music rules!

He said at the time that he had made a tape of some experimental stuff goofing about in his home studio. Some of his freinds heard it and said "Is this the next one then?". He said "Might be". He polished it a bit and released it. I don't think he was confused at all. He invited comparisons to the far superior Macca One by calling it Macca 2, but I dont think he ever thought of them as the same quality wise. But--they both came right on the heels of a group breakup--one traumatic for him and the other a relief, I believe.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:38 pm

Actually Mac II was recorded in the summer of 1979. That was before Wings' final tour. Coming out of prison in january 1980, Paul didn't know what to do next, so he decided to finish those recordings and release them as an album.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:56 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains
Actually Mac II was recorded in the summer of 1979. That was before Wings' final tour. Coming out of prison in january 1980, Paul didn't know what to do next, so he decided to finish those recordings and release them as an album.

Most of it was, Brains. He added different stuff to it as he was putting it together. That's the tape he was showing to friends that later became Macca 2. Thats why I said it is so impressive that he worked on that and finished it up, then fired off one of his most critically acclaimed albums (TOW) ---all after the breakup of Wings.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions