Let Me Roll It

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby karly » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:33 pm

shinestar!

that's yet ANOTHER way this could go!

we can only speculate unless you hear it yourself face to face from the man himself!

the clouds will be
a daisy chain
so let me see
you smile again
karly

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:56 am

quote:reading into the lyrics is what makes forums like this go 'round!

Karly--Yeah, I understand what you're saying, and it's definitely fun to do that now and again. But all I'm saying is that with certain songs, I think sometimes fans read into it a lot more than they probably should. Especially a song like this. I seriously don't think, (besides from the Lennonesque melody), that Paul was directly thinking about John. I could be wrong, sure. But like I said before, Paul himself has admitted that many, (not all of course), but many of his lyrics really don't mean anything. They just sound nice. Like I think Paul said on Oprah in 1997, (and I'm paraphrasing)..."People always ask me what's this song mean or that song mean. And I say, 'I don't know. I just thought it sounded nice.'"
Ram1

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:06 am

I can kinda understand that in a way. I'm a songwriter myself, and a lot of times when I write songs, (even love songs), they're not about anything or anyone in particular. It's just a story I make up. That's why it kinda annoys me sometimes when I tell somebody I just wrote a song, and the first thing they ask me is 'What is it about?' I mean, I guess that's a valid question, but I'm just mainly talking about the music, you know?
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:05 am

I must say, I don't care for this song in particular, but with the line "my heart is like a wheel" - he does sound a bit like John there, now you mention it

If you want a Paul song that sounds like a John song, you want "I've Had Enough" from "London Town" - I was listening to that song once and a friend of mine who also likes The Beatles thought it was a John song first off! What do you guys reckon?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:19 am

Liam--I've had enough sounds about as much like JL as Yoko does :). Seriously--that's a PM song/style all the way. Can't hear old John singing that one.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:20 am

I think my friend was referring to the lyrics more than the music on it.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:35 am

quote:
dsnito--I was just kidding you, man.

Oh...hahaha... I see!! It's all right!!
But I think it's a very confusing thing indeed!!
Now tell me... (boot)what is it means? I didn't get it yet!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:03 am

dsnito---boot, short for bootleg. Slang is always the hardest to get--don't feel bad. I go thru this with my sons fiance all of the time :).
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:24 am

What a coincidence with all this "south of the border" talk. My brother's fiance just moved here from Mexico City. She's excellent in English, but I'm sure she still finds some of the slang a little confusing.
Ram1

Postby karly » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:56 am

quote:
quote:reading into the lyrics is what makes forums like this go 'round!

Karly--Yeah, I understand what you're saying, and it's definitely fun to do that now and again. But all I'm saying is that with certain songs, I think sometimes fans read into it a lot more than they probably should. Especially a song like this. I seriously don't think, (besides from the Lennonesque melody), that Paul was directly thinking about John. I could be wrong, sure. But like I said before, Paul himself has admitted that many, (not all of course), but many of his lyrics really don't mean anything. They just sound nice. Like I think Paul said on Oprah in 1997, (and I'm paraphrasing)..."People always ask me what's this song mean or that song mean. And I say, 'I don't know. I just thought it sounded nice.'"

I get you! I think it's more the MUSIC and LYRICAL pattern more than the words...dig?
I totally know what you mean....source of inspiration...muse whatever...sometimes you can just look at a tree and BAM! there's this incredible idea about 2 lovers....or something!

the clouds will be
a daisy chain
so let me see
you smile again
karly

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions