"Cold Cuts"

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

"Cold Cuts"

Postby JMD » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:48 pm

This goes back a long, long way. Since at least 1980, there have been on-again, off-again plans for an album of rarities, outtakes and unreleased tracks, a la "Beatles Anthology." Last year, around the time of "Wingspan," MPL actually put out word of a planned Christmas release along these lines. Now, it seems to be off (again). Anyone with insight into this? Will Paul ever put out such an album? I know a lot is available on bootlegs, but they're hard to find, and I'm not crazy about buying them.

The great value of such a project is that SO MANY of the best Paul tracks are throwaway B-sides ("Oh, Woman, Oh, Why," "Kicked Around No More," many more) and no doubt there are many more gems in the vaults.
JMD

"Cold Cuts"

Postby JMD » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:48 pm

This goes back a long, long way. Since at least 1980, there have been on-again, off-again plans for an album of rarities, outtakes and unreleased tracks, a la "Beatles Anthology." Last year, around the time of "Wingspan," MPL actually put out word of a planned Christmas release along these lines. Now, it seems to be off (again). Anyone with insight into this? Will Paul ever put out such an album? I know a lot is available on bootlegs, but they're hard to find, and I'm not crazy about buying them.

The great value of such a project is that SO MANY of the best Paul tracks are throwaway B-sides ("Oh, Woman, Oh, Why," "Kicked Around No More," many more) and no doubt there are many more gems in the vaults.
JMD

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:51 am

Certainly, a lot of B-sides were added to the albums as bonus tracks on the 1993 remaster series - but there ARE a LOT of others!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby The Man » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:12 am

Yes...like I'll Give You A Ring
The Man

Postby JMD » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:03 pm

Thanks to Liam and all who reply ... I realize a lot of the B-sides were added as bonus tracks to the CDs, but, luddite that I am, I am not going back and buying all of Paul's back catalog on CD. I have 'em on LP! When I find the old LPs as used CDs, I buy them, so I have quite a few. But it would be great to have all the odds and ends, plus, I'm sure, many great unreleased tunes (I've heard great things about "Suicide") in one collection. Yoko put John's stuff out in a boxed set, and George supposedly had one in the works which I'm sure Olivia and Dhani will complete. It's time for Paul to do it. "Wingspan" is good, but few surprises (except "Bip Bop/Hey Diddle").
JMD
JMD

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:06 pm

I totally agree, JMD. Paul should really put out a boxed set of unreleased/B-side tracks. Like you said, Wingspan is decent, but pretty much only includes songs that most people have already heard.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:25 am

quote:
Thanks to Liam and all who reply ... I realize a lot of the B-sides were added as bonus tracks to the CDs, but, luddite that I am, I am not going back and buying all of Paul's back catalog on CD. I have 'em on LP! When I find the old LPs as used CDs, I buy them, so I have quite a few. But it would be great to have all the odds and ends, plus, I'm sure, many great unreleased tunes (I've heard great things about "Suicide") in one collection. Yoko put John's stuff out in a boxed set, and George supposedly had one in the works which I'm sure Olivia and Dhani will complete. It's time for Paul to do it. "Wingspan" is good, but few surprises (except "Bip Bop/Hey Diddle").
JMD

"Suicide"? Wasn't that the song he wrote with Sinatra in mind to sing it?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:28 am

Ha ha, Sinatra singing a song called "Suicide"....that would have been a trip!!
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:33 am

I'm sure Paul said it on Parky, the whole "everyone wants to write a song for Sinatra" issue, and said that he wrote one called Suicide, and didn't show it to him for years, and eventually did, and Sinatra took it for a joke - something like that.

Liam OSM

Postby maccafan » Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:39 am

I have the Cold Cuts boot and the song that does it for me is Best Friend, this is one Paul should do officially it's rocking blues and it's live!!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions