If you like good music & Macca...

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Anita » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:36 am

you'll love "PET SOUNDS LIVE"!!! Honest, I'm not kidding!
In January 2002, Brian Wilson (founding member and creative genius of the Beach Boys) took his masterpiece "Pet Sounds" to London's Royal Festival Hall, attracting pop stars from Eric Clapton to the Chemical Brothers and generating raves from critics. The concerts were recorded and guess what! an album was released! June 11 2002! come on! Give it a try! see if you agree with The Who's Roger Daltrey: After seeing the show, he said, "I immediately put on the
Beach Boys record. The record wasn't as good!" or George Martin (Beatles' producer):"If there is one person that I have to select as a living genius of music, I would choose Brian Wilson." OOOH This album had the high admiration of MACCA too!:
"no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album, it's the classic of the century ...unbeatable in many ways..." to name just a few! Sorry this crazy post folks , but I LOVED THIS NEW LIVE CD! All my loving....Anita.
Anita

Postby Anita » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:36 am

you'll love "PET SOUNDS LIVE"!!! Honest, I'm not kidding!
In January 2002, Brian Wilson (founding member and creative genius of the Beach Boys) took his masterpiece "Pet Sounds" to London's Royal Festival Hall, attracting pop stars from Eric Clapton to the Chemical Brothers and generating raves from critics. The concerts were recorded and guess what! an album was released! June 11 2002! come on! Give it a try! see if you agree with The Who's Roger Daltrey: After seeing the show, he said, "I immediately put on the
Beach Boys record. The record wasn't as good!" or George Martin (Beatles' producer):"If there is one person that I have to select as a living genius of music, I would choose Brian Wilson." OOOH This album had the high admiration of MACCA too!:
"no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album, it's the classic of the century ...unbeatable in many ways..." to name just a few! Sorry this crazy post folks , but I LOVED THIS NEW LIVE CD! All my loving....Anita.
Anita

Postby Macca4ever » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:46 am

YES new Brian Wilson CD already out!
hooraay i got my copy today as well! i was smiling like a cat all day!
Queen's Golden Jubilee: MACCA & BRIAN WILSON SINGING TOGETHER!
amazing! BTW Pet Sounds is now always high in music polls alongside the Beatles, Sgt Pepper...
Macca4ever

Postby Anita » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:56 am

Thought you might like to know another Macca quote:
"I've often played Pet Sounds and cried...I played it to John so much
that it would be difficult for him to escape the influence ...
"God Only Knows" is a big favorite of mine ... very emotional, always
a bit of a choker for me, that one. On "You Still Believe In Me", I
love that melody - that kills me ... that's my favorite, I think ... it's so beautiful right at the end ... comes surging back in these multi-colored harmonies ... sends shivers up my spine."
Anita

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:54 am

I must have a good listen to The Beach Boys at some point. My mother has an early hits compilation on LP, maybe I'll have a listen to that when I'm back home in Bath for the summer. I'd probably like 'em if I gave 'em a chance, I've just never bothered listening to them. We'll just have to see . . .

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby denby » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:27 am

Last week I was fortunate enough to see Brian Wilson in Nottingham (England)- he has just done a 5-venue tour over here. I felt priveleged to be there - its not very often a living legend comes to Nottingham, and the genius of Brian shone through. Paul got a little mention when Brian said "Paul McCartney likes this next song a lot" - which led into God Only Knows.
Seeing Brian from just 20 yards away made me think about a comment on the forum (somewhere!) that people like their geniuses either tortured or dead (great quote) - I am afraid that Brian is tortured -he seemed completely out of it. I think that it shows again how well-adjusted Paul is - he has coped with his fame and success, but Brian hasn't. Anyway, love them both!
denby

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:55 am

quote:
Queen's Golden Jubilee: MACCA & BRIAN WILSON SINGING TOGETHER!

I thought it was so sad to see poor Brian standing there like a deer caught in headlights while Paul was singing Hey Jude. If Brian was singing, he must have been singing inside of his head.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JettRyder » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:30 am

I'm actually amazed that Brian can get through a concert and remember the words to his songs.
Considering the damage done to his brain and the way he conducts himself when he's not performing, I gotta hand it to the guy for having the guts to do the touring.
I did buy the Live at the Roxy CD off the net and I'm very pleased with his voice and the overall sound of the band.
I just feel a little sorry for the guy because of his limitations and weird mannerisms.
JettRyder

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:35 am

Denby, it's not so much that Brian hasn't coped with his success well, it's more that the man just has mental and emotional problems, plain and simple. Here is a copy of the post I made under the "Concerts For The Queen" subject....

Originally posted June 4th...

Let me say a few words about the great Brian Wilson. First of all, the man has some serious emotional/psychological problems. He had problems to begin with, (not the least of which was abuse from his father), but then those problems magnified when he experimented with drugs, (namely LSD), in the 60s. The bottom line is, the guy has brain damage. He'll tell you that himself. It really hurts me to see him on tv shows, and he looks like a deer in headlights, and his voice is not even near what it once was. (Which is sad because he had probably the best voice in all of rock music.) There's no denying the guy is still a genius, (I have his last studio album from '98 and he can still write), but he's definitely gone down hill since the 60s. Although I have to say, he's gotten MUCH better, through treatment, than what he was. (Especially during his whole stay-in-bed thing in the 70s.) What I'm trying to say is, when Brian looks like he's not into something or seems lost, I don't think that's fully the case. He just has problems and I just don't think he's able to convey his feelings that well in public anymore. I mean, you gotta understand, this is a guy who wouldn't go out in public for years. You gotta hand it to him, at least he's getting out there.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:35 am

I'm missing something here - how did Brian end up in this condition? And specifically, what is that condition again?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions