Retirement

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:36 pm

In certain way, Nrwriter is right, as we could see Frank Sinatra...
He did "Duets" album a bit before he died.

Peace.

Edited by - dsnito on 08/22/2002 12:44:33
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:38 pm

quote:
brian wilson was a bit.. distant... shall we say huh... i felt a bit for him.. but did you catch his quick lyric in there, no hanging around, straight in... i seem to recall that and was surprised he made it, to be honest. if you got the tape(i havent) watch... he does it well. i dunno what to say about that, apart from, he did it, i was cringing cos i thought he may just fall on his face... but he didnt. thats the main thing. he did his job, and he didnt fail... he just looked a little bit lost.

Is this at the Queen's Jubilee show?

Certainly, he's not in the best shape nowadays, but he certainly had everybody going, and yes, he did his job. What more could one ask? I personally enjoyed his stint on there quite a bit

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby numberwriter » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:47 pm

liam... lined up and eliminated? lol.. i know yr only joking. theres no right and wrong in music.. the nazis tried to say that with jazz music. and art. my 5 yr old neice loves s club 7.... lol. let her...they work hard in many ways. overpaid, sure, but lots of peeps are. when you look for a child star, for instance, the main thing you look for is not talent, its workability. a 12 yr old kid may throw a tantrum and complain, you need to be sure they have staying power and can smile for a hundred interviews. media stars are fine... we should just not mix them up with musicians and other talent.
numberwriter

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:50 pm

Well, not so much joking as exaggerating, maybe. It's a bit like what Ben Elton was saying on Parkinson three months back. About how this media hype and stuff like this is slowly being pushed completely to the front, and if a band like The Beatles came along now, they would be sidelined because they would represent a threat to the "establishment". You know?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby numberwriter » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:55 pm

maccas right on the ball... all the beatles either are or were... actually, many, many 60's band members are.
numberwriter

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:57 pm

Agreed.

Personally, I think that's why Sting's solo stuff hasn't done so great in the charts compared to his Police stuff - The Police were a relatively mainstream-ish type of band, but Sting's solo stuff is much more diverse, and the record-buying public just didn't have a clue, unfortunately. Oh well . . .

Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm

And I'd better add that I hold Sting's solo stuff in at least as high regard as his Police stuff (well, except Nothing Like The Sun). It's more varied, and has some moments of sheer brilliance.

Liam OSM

Postby BandOnTheRun1 » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:01 pm

To each his own OSM. I think the Police was about 10 times better than all of Gordie's solo projects put together. More energy. He has some really nice solo work, but it's few and far between for me. Again--to each his own.
BandOnTheRun1

Postby numberwriter » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:01 pm

media is non exclusive... it shouldnt be a problem. we still have our music! thecompanies that pay these people do not use you to subsidise gareth gates or something. they are companies who charge him for every vhs promo they send out on his behalf, every call they make, every memo. if he got a big advance, he better make it last, cos he wont be seeing much again. his talent is too low to last him after the lamp burns out, so his advance is about all he will see
numberwriter

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:05 pm

Let's hope that we see even less of him than he sees of his advance, then! I mean, who's going to remember him in five years' time? Nobody. Same with all the other similar people/bands. Disposable synthepop.

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions