Paul the musician

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul the musician

Postby Girl4Beats » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Matt,

YOU READ ABOUT THAT! Dang! I would love to read what he said. It was amazing. The MAN can play!! Again, I say, I have no words to describe the sound coming off that stage. It was magical. I remember the jam sessions between each take better than I do the rest. It was . . . .I won't repeat myself.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ringo7165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Paul plays Maybe I'm Amazed, 1985, Your Loving Flame, Only Love Remains, Let it Be.....better than Elton, or Billy Joel.

Paul's piano playing is very under the radar...he is a giant....it's about feel......not how many fills and runs you can through in there....

I agree that Elton and Billy are great ( prefer Joel)....but Macca is right up there with them. He's equally inventive and technically sound.

listen to your own ears....

It's kind of like thinking Ringo Starr is not brilliant on the drums, and one of the greatest EVER....

Can you tell I have a distain for these types of comparisons....

Who is better, Mom or Dad ?
ringo7165

Postby Girl4Beats » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:49 pm

ringo,

Depends on who gives me what I want. I believe, and I could be wrong, that Elton was classically trained. Don't know about Joel. Paul was self taught.

But you are correct. Who do you like better. I like Paul better. I don't like Joel at all. I like Elton. I like Paul better than all the rest.

As most of us on this rant have said, it is all a matter of opinion and tastes. I VOTE FOR PAUL!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ringo7165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:36 pm

You go GIRL !
I like your ears.
Always great to hear you too. ^:)^
ringo7165

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Ringo, have you ever listened to Elton's "11-17-70" album?

The day Paul plays piano like that is the day I will admit Paul is a better pianist.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm

I hear you, Mattal, but like G4B said it's all in what you like. For example, I would be the first to say that Eddie VanHalen is a more proficient guitar player than Paul (or George, John), but I don't like it nearly as much. So, what is better? For me, Paul's is (as is George's and John's). It's what I value in the music that makes the choice easy. I don't value high speed, classically inspired guitar playing, no matter how proficient the player is. Same thing can be applied to piano playing. Yes, Elton is more proficient than Paul, but the question really is...does that make him better? I say no, cause Elton's playing doesn't appeal to me as much as Paul's.I love Paul's 'dance hall style' playing. I'm impressed by any great ability to play, but the most skilled effort doesn't always translate for me.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions