Paul the musician

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Paul the musician

Postby garrystanton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:19 am

Hi people

I thought this would be an interesting thread- just how good is Paul as a musician?
Yes, his accomplishments and achievements are there for all to see, but what do we think of the man
as a musician, given that he is a multi-instrumentalist? John once remarked something along the lines
of 'Paul is an egomaniac about everything but his bass playing' which is an intriguing topic in itself, especially
as Paul is viewed by many as a trailblazer on bass: John seems to be suggesting that Paul
was insecure about his abilities on bass guitar. Paul drums, he plays lead guitar, piano....but how good is he?

Cheers, and Peace

G
\M/
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Re: Paul the musician

Postby EddieV » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:53 pm

He is one of the best overall on every instrument.

Bass brilliant, maybe he hasn´t develop it so much in recent years
Guitar great, he has his own way of playing the acoustic guitar
Drums all right timekeeper
Piano great improwiser is my impressiion
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Paul is a great multiinstrumentalist but I guess bass is the instrument he really shines on. One of the best when it comes to rock/pop. Compared to some of the jazzgreats he is limited of course but in the rock field his melodic, deep bassplaying is really inventive.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 pm

He's just a sheer master on the bass. It's interesting he got 'lumbered' with it, because it became the place where his melodic gift could really stand out.

He's decent at everything else – I like the feel he has on electric guitar and drums. But, of course, the really impressive thing is that he can do it all.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 pm

The great musicians of the world are usually single instrument virtuosos, who started playing that instrument from the time they were children, and practice, practice, practice every day, forever.

Paul isn't that.

Paul is a NATURAL musician. Music flows within and without him (to borrow a line from one of Paul's pals in that band from way back when). Anything he picks up, he will be able to get something musical out of. It's why I think we will continue to get new recordings from him until he physically can't do it anymore.

For the purposes of pop and rock, he's more than acceptable at drums and guitar and keyboards. Obviously, he's even better at bass. But, he is more about creating "sound." That encompasses not just instrumentation, but also his voice. And, not just singing, but all the "sounds" he can create with his voice, with percussion, with instruments, etc.

Paul IS music. He can't help it.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56 pm

He also plays a nifty recorder, as heard on "Fool on the Hill". He really is a fine bass player, but honestly he doesn't try as hard as he used to. I would love to hear more bass playing like he did on Sgt. Pepper. Eddie hit the nail on the head in regard to Paul's acoustic guitar playing- it's truly unique and distinctly Macca. Same goes for his piano playing; tuneful and robust, without ever feeling overdone. His drumming and timekeeping is very good and occasionally outstanding (see Steve Miller's "My Dark Hour", which features Paul on drums). As for other instruments, we all know he could passably play a whole lot of them. Didn't he play the violin on "I'm Carrying"? Of course there are other multi-instrumentalists out there, but our kid's one of the best, I think.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby garrystanton » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:41 am

Some great comments here-
Yes, I would say that Paul has music running through his veins, so much so that his ideas can come a bit too thick and fast- see the
inventive, overpowering bass lines on Something and Rain. Brilliant. I would argue that he is so intrinsically musical that he has never
hit virtuoso level on any instrument, save bass perhaps. Even on that instrument (and he is without argument the most famous rock bassist ever)
his abilities are not technical in the manner of Entwhistle or Flea or Stanley Clarke. or many others. The thing with Paul is the actual basslines-
its actually pretty phenomenal the number of those he has created, and, like Ringo, you can guess the track when his recording track is isolated...

On guitar, too- Taxman solo, The End bits he does on Abbey Road, Paperback Writer, Good Morning Good Morning solo- the list is amazing!
As a drummer, he was always willing to roll his sleeves up when needed, although decent timekeeping is the best you can claim, perhaps. Decent.

Going back to John Entwhistle for a moment, I have had debates in which people have said 'oh yeah The Ox is much better than Macca', etc. While The Who's
man was indeed a fabulous bass guitarist, he never wrote the same volume of instantly recognisable lines our man did. And then, too, Entwhistle
was a one-instrument guy- not a classic songwriter, (Boris...?) great vocalist and multi-instrumentalist. As someone said here, there are other
multi-talented, many-faceted musicians out there, more than there have ever been probably. But Macca, well he's ours, and a bit special, I would argue....

\M/
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 am

Entwistle played his bass like a lead guitar. He was fabulous. Listen to LIVE AT LEEDS sometime. It's just jaw dropping stuff. Three guys making all that noise. I don't think there is a better rock and roll trio* EVER than that band at that time. To have it captured on that album is special.

I like a lot of Paul's drumming. "My Dark Hour" is a great example. So is "Dear Prudence." Among others...

(*meaning the musicians: Townshend, Entwistle, Moon. Not counting the singer, Daltry).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:Entwistle played his bass like a lead guitar. He was fabulous. Listen to LIVE AT LEEDS sometime. It's just jaw dropping stuff. Three guys making all that noise. I don't think there is a better rock and roll trio* EVER than that band at that time. To have it captured on that album is special.

I like a lot of Paul's drumming. "My Dark Hour" is a great example. So is "Dear Prudence." Among others...

(*meaning the musicians: Townshend, Entwistle, Moon. Not counting the singer, Daltry).

I love the Who, but I will take Jimmy, Jonsey, and Gonzo as the best rock trio ever, however Keith Moon is my favourite drummer of all times.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Page is a better guitarist than Townshend, not much argument there.

But, Entwistle and Jones...that favors THE WHO big time.

Moon and Bonham, two brilliant drummers, but as different as night and day.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions