McCartney VS Lennon

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

McCartney VS Lennon

Postby MarthaMyDeer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 am

Okay So I am a massive McCartney obsessive.

My friend says to me McCartney was no where near as good as John after the Beatles. I disagree.

So my friend says send him 5 or so songs to prove him wrong.

Can you guys help?

I want to convert this guy onto Wings and McCartney stuff. Problem is I love everything he does!

What songs should I send?
MarthaMyDeer

Re: McCartney VS Lennon

Postby mhnso » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 am

MarthaMyDeer wrote:Okay So I am a massive McCartney obsessive.

My friend says to me McCartney was no where near as good as John after the Beatles. I disagree.

So my friend says send him 5 or so songs to prove him wrong.

Can you guys help?

I want to convert this guy onto Wings and McCartney stuff. Problem is I love everything he does!

What songs should I send?

Personally I find the Paul vs John discussion pointless and boring. Both artists made stunning Music together and on their own. Which one you prefer is a personal thing. Apart from that Lennons soloyears are very few compared to Maccas. I like them both-when it comes to Lennon ecspecially Plastic Ono band and Imagine. However great those album are I wouldn t trade them with Ram or Band on the Run. Good thing it s all there For us to enjoy
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby MarthaMyDeer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:56 am

Sorry for boring you! It's just for a bit of fun and banter man. Both are equals no question about that.
MarthaMyDeer

Postby garrystanton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am

Hi

I agree with the points about the pointlessness of the John vs Paul argument. Folks who think they're ' cool' go for John, as he was comparatively
edgy and a bit Che Guevara compared to Paul (arguably, though some may differ). However, Paul was and is by far the superior musician, if only in sheer technical terms. But then John was a maverick genius who didn't give a shi* what anyone thought, and was, particularly after 1969, about so much more than just music....its a big debate and I shall stop there!

As for the 5 Macca tracks, here is a wee list, an almost impossible task in itself:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
Lifelong Passion (EA)
You Tell Me
Road

:-D
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby EddieV » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:56 pm

garrystanton wrote:Hi

I agree with the points about the pointlessness of the John vs Paul argument. Folks who think they're ' cool' go for John, as he was comparatively
edgy and a bit Che Guevara compared to Paul (arguably, though some may differ). However, Paul was and is by far the superior musician, if only in sheer technical terms. But then John was a maverick genius who didn't give a shi* what anyone thought, and was, particularly after 1969, about so much more than just music....its a big debate and I shall stop there!

As for the 5 Macca tracks, here is a wee list, an almost impossible task in itself:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
Lifelong Passion (EA)
You Tell Me
Road

:-D

Great comment Garry
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm

I would also generally try and avoid such a debate.

However, if I had to... I think it would be fair to only include Paul's output up until 1980, so nothing after McCartney II.

Now, if it was 5 or maybe even 10 songs from each, then Paul has got one heck of a battle on his hands. He's up against, depending on your POV, the likes of Imagine, Jealous Guy, Beautiful Boy, Just Like Starting Over, God, Instant Karma, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Watching the Wheels, Working Class Hero, Mother, Oh My Love etc...

But, if you start extending the list to 15, 20 or more songs, Paul's strength in depth is going to start coming through. I would expect if you looked at places 20 onwards on an average Paul list compared to the same on a John list (so in effect beyond the confines of 1 big "best of" album), then Paul is going to start coming through as the stronger in depth.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby james1985 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 pm

People who don't love solo John and solo Paul...I just don't get
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Agreed, James. It's not an 'either or' question. They're both great.
I say, tell your uninformed friend to give a listen to these five:
"Let Me Roll It"
"Too Many People"
"Monkberry Moon Delight"
"What It Is"
"Helen Wheels"
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:44 am

does this vermin not eat ?

can one not love steak and shrimp ? hey..they're great together...are they somehow terrible separate ??

you need to set this cretin straight...this fool is off his hill...do yourself a favor...walk up to the bloomin' idiot and smack him upside the head...when they look oddly at you...tell them: "you are an idiot !"...then smack 'em again

there probably is not a single song...nor a series of songs that could make this frog become a musical prince: there also is most likely not enough time in your life to dedicate to trying to convince such a blind fool it's okay, there is a tunnel and there is light...so, prepare yourself to get over it as this type of leopard will most likely not change his spots...

If this warthog continues to dwell upon such inanities...it might behoove you, as the Oob suggested, to pick songs that appeared on the scene before john left us...that way, musically, it's competative ground...

and, while you're at it, remind this lowlife that john thought enough of 'mccartney 2' and especially 'coming up'...that he restarted his dormant career...if that is not a clue, i don't know what is...

the pre-TOW stuff has enough greatness that one could offer up a plethora of sweet gems and inimitable classics that are easily the equal of, if not the better of, most of lennons post beatle output

you say you are a macca obsessive..what do you like...and why...that's a starting point...

songs ??

put together a mini album...that would be something...every night...3 legs...too many people...smile away...UA&AH...back seat of my car...monkberry moon delight...wild life...dear friend...oh woman, oh why...my love...maybe i'm amazed...helen wheels...1985...mamunia...jet...the mess...soily...call me back again...name and address...don't let it bring you down...girls school...old siam sir...rockestra theme/so glad to see you here...one of these days

plastic ono band is, imho, the only really great lennon solo record...imagine comes close, but...

me ??

i'd listen to mccartney2 over POB almost any day for sheer musical adventuring alone...ram as easily as good, if not better...so is BOTR...and most of the rest are not by any means slouches...

stand up for what you profess to love...

listen to Dr. Jones' good friend...show a little backbone, willya ?!!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby ringo7165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and pick 5 tracks from Back to the Egg "

getting Closer
Baby's request
So glad to see you here
Love Awake
Arrow thru me

( Yup...I'm back on board with this album...a good anti-thesis to London Town. Tight band, ambitious in scope, lots of goodies, moods...and McCartneyesque cheer. I had previously opined that it was "all over the place"....whatever.

Bottom line, I dig the record, from start to finish ( although "To You" annoys me)....I'll take all the rest. The Broadcast is hilarious. Paul thinks big. He rocks very hard on " So Glad to See You Here" ( which I recently slighted)....It kicked ass in my car today, as I spun side 2 ( yesterday it was side 1 )

Once again, Paul prevails. Truth is , I probably read far too many reviews back in the day, RE this album, and I forgot that I was the judge.

A good return to a more rockin sound that a lot of you missed on LT....and several very interesting, good moments on BTTE. Possibly four stars. A solid record, no doubt.

You can pick your favorite 5 from any album, and you will get the same Paul results. He is so fun to listen to....and an album like this is more fun to listen to, for sure, than Mind Games or Walls and Bridges ( which are both good...but I'll go back to the egg)

Lennon 's 1980 songs were the best of his career, in terms of connecting with me. ( Nobody Told Me, Beautiful Boy, Woman,Wheels, Starting Over, Grow Old )...his best batch since 1968.

In the end, it's a ridiculous argument to begin with - perhaps fun...but the premise misses 50% of the equation from the start.

I had a dude approach me ( insisting Lennon) at my 20th high school reunion....when pressed, it was clear that he was unaware of the vast scope of Pauls' work, and was operating from stereotypical
argument that folks often use in this debate....they base it on a couple of tunes, and on the image they have formed on those tunes ( the hits), as well as on the media spin...often without knowing anything ......

bottom line, give the person one of your favorite Paul records and pick any 5 you like.
ringo7165

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions