Macca songs with references to John and Beatles

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Macca songs with references to John and Beatles

Postby EddieV » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:54 am

From the NEW album is of course Early Days
And Here Today is also a tribute for John
Too many Peple have refences to John and Yoko
more songs Paul wrote "about" John or the Beatles
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Macca songs with references to John and Beatles

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:28 am

Dear Friend
Tug Of War (despite what others say about this, I think he's talking about the dynamic between him and John specifically, and also the world, generally)
Let Me Roll It (not ABOUT John, but certainly an homage to his style)
Riding To Vanity Fair (another one people insist is NOT about him and John; I hear him sing it, and I read the lyrics, and I hear the Walrusy cellos...and I'm sorry, that's about John)
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:Riding To Vanity Fair (another one people insist is NOT about him and John; I hear him sing it, and I read the lyrics, and I hear the Walrusy cellos...and I'm sorry, that's about John)

Interesting theory, going to have to listen to that tonight. I've always assumed that song was a (possibly genuine) conversation between him and Geoff Baker, with Paul in effect singing lines that Baker used against him in parts of the song.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby ahawk66 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Obviously, John always said "Hey Jude" was about him. ...The two that stick out in my mind are from the "Let It Be" era where I think Paul was desperate to re-generate that spark between John and him.

1. "Two of Us" - despite what Paul has said ("It's really about me and Linda..."), this is dripping with the Lennon-McCartney dynamic. It's something to jog John's memory about how tight they were. Plus, he has John sing it with him. "You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead..."

2. "The Long and Winding Road" - again, about their estrangement and how Paul was longing to get back (no pun intended) to the old vibe with his longtime friend.

I've also always thought some lines in "Coming Up" were aimed at John as a bit of an olive branch - I get the same feeling on "With a Little Luck", too - "There is no end to what we can do together / the willow turns his back on inclement weather /and if he can do it/ we can do it / just you and me..."
ahawk66

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:
Mattal1958 wrote:Riding To Vanity Fair (another one people insist is NOT about him and John; I hear him sing it, and I read the lyrics, and I hear the Walrusy cellos...and I'm sorry, that's about John)

Interesting theory, going to have to listen to that tonight. I've always assumed that song was a (possibly genuine) conversation between him and Geoff Baker, with Paul in effect singing lines that Baker used against him in parts of the song.

I've had a couple of listens to the song this evening..... If this had been released in the 70s then, of course, there would be little doubt that the song was about John

What seems unlikely to me is Paul releasing something like that in 2005 if it was about John, it just doesn't seem to fit.

So.... I think either it isn't about John at all, and is about HM or Geoff Baker, OR..... maybe it's one he wrote a long time ago, likely during the 70s, that we knew nothing about, and all those years later he decided that the lyrics really fitted the situation he was in with Mills or Baker, and felt it was OK to in effect sing it about them instead of John. HOWEVER... at no point did Paul even casually say that it was a song he'd had kicking around for a long time, maybe because he knew it would then be obviously a song about John, or it just wasn't about him at all. I really can't see it being a new song written about John.

Have I contradicted myself enough yet!? :-D
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Sometimes songs are about several things, or people, all at the same time. Thus, my read that "Riding To Vanity Fair" was about John. It could also be about Heather. IT could also be about Geoff Baker. What's obvious is, it's a song by someone who feels betrayed by their friend. Even if it was intended to be about, say, Baker...I can't help but think that Paul, while writing this song, and singing those words, had flashbacks to John and that whole "How Do You Sleep?" era.

I remember reading an interview with Lennon who was discussing the song "Steel And Glass" (the interview was around the time of WALLS AND BRIDGES), and being asked if it was about Allen Klein-- which it obviously was-- and Lennon saying that it was really about himself. And, when you think about it, S&G has a similar sound (although it's nowhere near as good a song) to "How Do You Sleep?"
And, Lennon said that "How Do You Sleep?" was really about himself, as well. Of course, we know it wasn't, but, perhaps sub-consciousely, Lennon was attacking himself and disguising it as an attack on someone close to him.

And, that's the end of my amateur psychoanalysis for one post!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Tiger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Let 'Em In = Brother John was the first thing I thought of. . .
Tiger

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:52 pm

"The Song We Were Singing"
"Flaming Pie" is a reference to Lennon's humorous answer to the question 'where did the name Beatles come from', as most here know.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 am

"That Was Me" from Memory Almost Full

"Well that was me, royal iris, on the river
Mersy beat n' with the band, that was me

Yeah that was me, sweating cobwebs under contract
In the cellar, on TV, that was me"
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 am

Let Em In, The Songs We Were Singing, That Was Me...yep...to varying degrees, definitely. I'm sure there are many more.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions