Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Postby mr h atom » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 am

never said you did, my good E....quite the opposite, actually...

now...with the full knowledge that none of us are calling for an end to touring...

what say we get on with the actual drift of our conversation...one that acknowledges that there is most definately a real voice related problem...that touring, as it currently exists, is not allowing said voice a chance to shine, and/or recover as well as it might...and just how does our lad best find a way to keep touring without doing any more damage.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:33 am

Calm down here lads and lassies. Noone said he should stpp touring but maybe change the context a bit. Anyway it s entirely up to the man himself. Don t think anyone can tell him what to do. Hopefully he knows when the tine is right.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby lobbybobby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:35 am

Said voice is not going to recover. It's called age. Embrace it.

I, for one, love his voice. I saw him "out there" in May and he was phenomenal. Sure, he missed a few here and there, but no one cave a #%^%. It was Paul Freaking Mccartney playing the songbook of our lives right in front of us. So those who want him to do this or do that, just be thankful we still have him around at all.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have had a chance to listen to John's voice age?
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah, LB:

I have often wondered what John would sound like now and if his music had mellowed any. If he, the man, had mellowed any. I often think about what it would be like to have all four back for ONE LAST ALBUM. But then I think, Paul has been his own man for a long time. Ringo enjoys his summer gigs. George was not doing to much to my knowledge and if so, I apologize to anyone who might be a big George fan.

Could they have pulled off a new album without the mess of "Let It Be"?

Okay. Yes I am happy Paul is still touring and making albums. No I am not happy he does not give the vocal chords a rest. Yes I am happy he is still such a musical presence in spite of what those youngsters say. Yes I like a little roughness to the EDGE of his voice but not the whole voice.

Just give the voice a rest every now and then. Correct. He is still thriving so just bring it down a notch.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Perhaps that last remark, G4B, gets to the essence of what we're all saying..."just bring it down a notch".
I would love to see (even if I can't be in the audience) more intimate shows like the Cavern Club show he did for RDR, as someone here said earlier. Dylan has famously changed all of his songs so many times, they often feel like new songs. I would love to see Paul try that.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:47 am

efghij, agree with the smaller venues and the re-arranging of material. He HAS done this a bit (re-arranging), but not enough. There is this great, hoe-down, country stomp version of "Can't Buy Me Love" that he did as a soundcheck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHrWRZqKOM

And, on his UNPLUGGED show, he re-arranged "Every Night" (from the re-arranged version he introduced on the last, aborted Wings tour), as he also did "She's A Woman," and a couple of others.

Here's one he didn't write, but DID re-arrange, to great effect (I think),from a soundcheck. A rock and roll classic re-invented:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wAkblneU4
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 am

efghijiloveyou wrote:Perhaps that last remark, G4B, gets to the essence of what we're all saying..."just bring it down a notch".
I would love to see (even if I can't be in the audience) more intimate shows like the Cavern Club show he did for RDR, as someone here said earlier. Dylan has famously changed all of his songs so many times, they often feel like new songs. I would love to see Paul try that.

Thing is Dylas has always done that-Macca never. Don t think he Will start Messing with his stuff at 72
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:04 pm

mhnso, what...is my post invisible?

McCartney NEVER does this?

There are two examples (of many, actually) where he sure DOES do this.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm

All right, sounds fun! Let's see how many variants of songs we can find.
I get what Mhnso is saying. Dylan makes it a point to rearrange a song. To him, a song is not a fixed entity but a living, breathing thing that he adjusts at the drop of a hat; wherever his mood takes him at the time. Paul is more traditional, in that he seeks the 'best' version and more often than not, sticks to it.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Jeremy K2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:21 am

I don't like sad truths but nevertheless one is that many an artist will be judged on their last few years. This is wrong and unjust but people do it. That's my worry as Paul obviously deserves his fulll credit for his entires years (and yes difintely as the main other half of the Beatles). I just would hate to seem him unfairly lowered in the eyes of the genral populace due to some final years of touring with a weak vocal.
Jeremy K2

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions