Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Postby chris » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 pm

i don't think he will ever stop...or even slow down his touring. he's doing what he loves. and i think he loves to be loved. standing in front of 40,000 adoring fans still gives him a rush.

having said that...i'd love for him to be a creature of the studio from this point on. record new music. put it out there. it's his records that we will be debating for years.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 pm

most of us haven't really suggested he become just studio bound...nor have many of us suggested he stop touring...we are all aware he loves performing to death...

looking back on what most of us have said...both here and in the past, most of us have suggested that he simply find a more equitable way of doing exactly what he loves to do...

if we are honest with ourselves, if he does not change something soon, there may very well be less concerts...and fewer albums..as there may be little voice left...

the dowhill slide we've all talked for quite a long time now about has not gotten any better, it's only gotten worse: even when he takes time off, he comes back even more ragged than before...that's pretty evident at nearly every stop...

is there some reason, other than sheer, pure ego, why he can't stand before 8-10-15,000 and do nearly the same thing as he is now...get the same reaction...enthrall the masses ??

would all these 'fans', who can't wait to see him perform, only want to do so at one of the spectacles...or isn't it possible that a smaller, toned down, more well-crafted, concert might not resonate just as sweetly...just as memorably

isn't it possible that smaller, more personal concerts, that merged the ethic of the unplugged session and the Chaos special, would be pretty well recieved...just as they have with other artists

to paraphrase someone...wouldn't you rather watch the man perform...than watch a jumbo screen...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 am

well said, Mr. H.

I would purchase the live CD and DVD of those smaller venue performances in a flash. Of course, I purchase the live CD and DVD releases of the mega-spectacle-stadium shows, too...but, you know what I mean!

In other words, though I may not be lucky or wealthy enough to afford a seat in a small venue, I'd rather he do that (granted, having seen him numerous times already, it's easy for me to say this), and watch the video, than go to a show sitting 300 feet away from the stage, watching, as Mr. H rightly notes, the JumboTron.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:40 am

I'm not sure I'm understanding the relationship between the size of a venue, and the strain that puts on a voice.

You don't have to sing any louder, or scream any harder, in a 100,000 capacity venue than you do in a 1,000 capacity venue, just the amplification is different.

I do regular gigs (maybe 20-25 a year) in a variety of different sized venues, and my singing/guitar playing is no more aggressive in the larger venues than it is in the smaller ones. You put the required effort in to the song regardless and let the p.a. system do the rest!

If the suggestion is that by playing smaller venues Paul would play quieter types of songs (Bluebird, Yesterday etc.) then I don't really think that's how Paul's mind works. Put him in a 1,000 seater capacity venue and he'll see it as an opportunity to blow the roof off the place with Helter Skelter!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby bravefan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 am

I've seen him every decade since the 60's. I really think the voice is near a breaking point of little or no return. It's his voice but when does the voice of reason outweigh the voice of insanity. The thing he seems to love the most is going to be the reason at some point he WON"T be able to tour anymore. Cut back, save the voice, and ultimately give the fans what they want.
On a side note, some of his most creative periods Ram and Band on the Run, I don't believe much touring occurred. He can be creatice without the touring.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Smaller venues and different musical settings would be my choice. Don t think it will be be Paul though..
. I have tickets for a Robert Plant gig in may in a small 700 people venue- Standing audience.Plant has turned down 200 million dollars touring with Led Zeppelin to do this. Something that is my luck. But this won t happen with Macca and as long as he and the general audience are happy it s ok . I guess. But his current vocal range is not what it used to be. It s natural but still I wish he realise it before the shows become sad
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm

hey, oobs...you might be missing the important part of the scenario we are all envisioning...

the smaller venue part would have him doing concerts in a style far more like the 'unplugged' special and/or the C&CITB special...no yelping, no screaming, just singing...he can do that sort of thing fairly well with alot less strain...wouldn't you say ?

as i have mentioned about...oh, i don't know...about a billion times...he took the rather raucus 'lady madonna' and turned it into a smooth, bluesy, note perfect gem on the latter special...

sure...it may mean we might never hear 'live and let die' again...but i'm certain, with 800,000+ live versions of it already available, most people will somehow manage to survive...

and any attention given to the vast array of songs he's never done live...but that would fit such a venue, would be a greatly appreciated by real music fans just as easily...this would of course, include a lengthy variety of songs from every era, including the beatles...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby stuart7 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 pm

On the other hand....

I'm watching/listening to Paul in Seattle from last summer's Out There tour, and he sounds pretty good.

I would guess he's 51 not 71 if I didn't know better.
stuart7

Postby EddieV » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 am

stuart7 wrote:On the other hand....

I'm watching/listening to Paul in Seattle from last summer's Out There tour, and he sounds pretty good.

I would guess he's 51 not 71 if I didn't know better.

Nice, would love to him once more
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am

Iv seen Paul once with the big B in the sixties, with Wings in the seventies and solo in the eighties, nineties and on the 20000th. Wouldn t mind one more time but honestly doesn t care much for another Hey Jude singalong But that s me
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions