Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Postby mhnso » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 am

Another round of Pauls "never-ending"-tour is announced. Compared to Dylan Pauls doesn t do all that many gigs but they are on a large scale. I can see many reasons for this ongoin event mostly
1. Money-lots of money circulates here
2. Ego- Pauls-like many other artists.-surely get s a kick out of being loved.
3. Feelgood-factor-Who doesn t like the Beatles and there is a certain something to watch one of the originators carrying out classic after classic
4. Pauls has a great backup band-that s for sure
but...
I for one have a , not so goo feeling watching heavyweight carrying on on to many rounds. Paul surely has lot s of musical surprises in his bag-of that New is proof but his voice -still a great instrument within the right context-doesn t always carry the old tunes with grace.
However great events his concerts are I begin to wonder...
well maybe it s time to-if not retire from the live circuit but change the context of performing. Maybe in smaller more intimate settings, maybe different musical context, maybe something new.
Don t think it will happen but really hope Pauls or his advisors know when it s time for a change. Before it turns out one round to much.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Is it time for Macca to slow down-live?

Postby mr h atom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:35 am

yes, quite true...unfortunately

someone must get a bug in his ear, as they say...smaller venues, more intimate settings...less shouting...less vocal strain...even, dare i say it ?... concerts that don't last 2 1/2-3 hours !!

he loves performing, that's for sure...what if the trend continues and he simply cannot w/o being a flat out joke...DEVASTATION !!!

do more quieter, more intimate type songs...reinvent songs, ala 'lady madonna' on the Chaos special, to fit his 'now' voice...

either way..PRESERVE what is left before it gets to be too late

alot of us have said all this before..but it bares repeating, so...bravo, M... :salute
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby EddieV » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Many wise words has already been said by the first two posters on this subject.

He has already slowed down, but it must be very hard still.. Yes play smaller venues/Clubs. Has anyone seen Chuck Berry play, that was not nice to see, 87 years I think he is. Don´t want Paul to end like that..

I must say that I am a Little worried that he continues like he does now..
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 pm

agree with all of you. Time to change it up, slow it down, whatever. But these mega shows with lasers and fireworks for Liver May Die (as my baby sister used to call it-- she also used to call another song Meato and Potatium Man...but, I digress) are getting stale already.

I think the problem is, aside from ego, this genuine desire to please his audience. And since his audience all want to see him, he feels he NEEDS to play these stadiums so people have a "chance" to see him.

But, for cryin' out loud, I've seen him a dozen times in 5 different tours since '76. Aside from the younger demographic who may want to see him because their parents (like me) love him, most of us have experienced the Macca Live Extravaganza at one time or another.

I can understand him enjoying getting up there and playing live. So, nobody says don't continue that. But, smaller venues...shorter set lists...do more things like the RUN DEVIL RUN show at the Cavern. Do another UNPLUGGED. Hell, that might be awesome now. Strip down some of those BIG arrangements to just an acoustic guitar or two. I'm sure there are ways to do it.

Then again, maybe the reason he's still rocking and rolling and coming up with NEW things all the time is because he's oblivious to people like us telling him how he should do things. It's a tough line to straddle.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:01 pm

true...but...increasingly...the voice is rough and does not get any better...watch any youtube clips and see...

increasingly...i see comments, by fans, alluding to it...

soon...even the press, which, by and large (of late), has given that problem a pass will begin to swarm like hungry vultures on a wagon train with no wheels

quite frankly...ringo really did sound better on the recent special...that is not necessarily a good omen

the overly fantastic range he once had is gone...he now needs to fit that voice...which, in its' own way is still highly flexible...into the realtime parameters of what it can actually accompish...

these huge extravaganzas are no longer it...

true fans of music will easily accept a change that improves the performance...embrace it, in fact...

the rest can suffer thru being stupid as they already do.

they can all take an extended bathroom break as far a i'm concerned
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 am

his higher range has deteriorated. This is evident throughout KOTB, although it wasn't so bad as to not be somewhat endearing and give Paul's vocals just enough of a rough edge suiting someone his age. Which complimented a lot of the material chosen. It was also evident on KOTB (those are the songs that test his voice more than his own songs-- although it's evident from "Early Days," for example, that the voice ain't what it used to be) that his mid-to-lower range is still quite solid. Listen to "Ac-Cent-Chu-Ate The Positive" or "Get Yourself Another Fool," and you hear a smooth, rich, confident voice. It's the higher registers that are abandoning him.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 am

I've been saying that on here for quite a while. Most of the time it was met with people disagreeing. He needs to save what voice he has for the studio. A concert is one night but a recording can last forever. His voice obviously needs rest and the sooner the better. And yes, Ringo did sound better. That should tell you all you need to know. While it's probably an ego thing, it's time to get this tour over, rest his voice, and start writing or compiling songs that were never released that we discussed in another thread.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby blmeanie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Love of performing rules his mind. You all seem a bit selfish. Protect his image and legacy, don't let him continue on and have people say or think bad things about him? It's his life. He has given the world more than most men even dream of.

He reads reviews, cares about them. He will stop when he doesn't feel the love. As for new material, it might have been Abe or might not have been but somebody said in the "making of new" special that the touring fuels the writing and vice versa. That makes sense, he gets ideas and inspiration from touring and gets inspired to tour from writing new songs.

Seriously, I've been visiting this and other Beatle related forums for a bunch of years but my guess is there was a "movement" hoping Paul would preserve his voice when he turned 50, "it isn't the same as when he was younger!" Is probably how it went. True true true. So what. Love the man for what he does, not for what he might do if he follows what you might feel is best for him.

I can't wait until he comes through America again, got my credit card ready.
blmeanie

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm

If we're selfish, so be it. We're the fans. We have opinions. I've spent probably thousands of dollars since I was a kid on Beatles and Macca music. This doesn't entitle me to anything other than an opinon, of course. But that opinion is: cut back on the live stuff, and if you're going to play live, for God's sakes, why these stadiums where you look like a flea onstage to most of the fans? That's not music. That's spectacle.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the "spectacle" many a time.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah, I would love to see Paul make a habit out of performing at smaller venues. We recently had Paul Simon here locally play a 10,000 seat arena. It would be fantastic to hear Macca there. Of course tickets would be really scarce!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions