5 Macca album you can´t live without

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: 5 Macca album you can´t live without

Postby EddieV » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 am

Can´t stand London Town too cheasy, even though I like cheese :-D
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 pm

LT has some nice moments, but it's not a top five album for me.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ringo7165 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm

London Town was the first album of new music I bought by a beatle...(I was 12, and had "discovered " the lads a year previous.)
Having fully gone crazy over Hollywood Bowl, Red and Blue, Star Club etc...I was moving into solo territory
Upon the release of London Town, I realized that it was good....not great....and thought ( as I still do) that it contained 2 too many tracks
but over time, and a good deal of nostalgia, it has remained strong for me
It is really glossy and polished, great bass, brimming with musicality and lyrical whimsy, harmonies
Very poppy, for sure, and a little too ambitious in length.....
I used to dislike Morse Moose, but now love it....Side 2 is pretty damned good
I think a lot of our choices have to do with how these albums resonated for us at certain periods of our lives
By contrast, Off The Ground left me emotionless...I was not engaged, as much as I tried to be....something is missing
ringo7165

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:39 pm

I agree, Ringo...if this album caught you in those early impactful years, of course it's going to be highly thought of.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ringo7165 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 pm

I like "dark Horse" type of records ( IE London Town)
but I adore McCartney, Wild Life, BOTR, Venus & Mars all the same ( any of which could have made the list, on any given day, mood, etc as MR H Atom alluded to)

Our "kid" has the goods, no doubt....I used to think RED Rose was "daft" but have warmed up.

He really became " Mary Had a Little Lamb" ( which I love)....but Red Rose starts taking it a little too far on the hyper-melodic....happy happy, drippy. ( His voice is primo, and the band is loose which makes it endearing...and it's PAUL 72-3 period....so it's alright....but more fodder for the Lennon types who were out to bury him

although Lennon called "My Love" ..."infectious"....which was the first nice thing he said about Paul music since their media spat. "My Love" is a monster classic...wow.

RRS gets a solid 3 to 3 and a half, which ain't terrible by any means.

It's an often adored one around here, and I can see why. I wonder what folks think about the album cover ? Anybody wonder if he is making a statement about "not talking" due to having a "carnation" in mouth.
IE....John...."let's have a truce here. No more slagging in the press message?" %%-
ringo7165

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 pm

ringo7165, some interesting comments...many of which I concur with.

Actually, Lennon had said he liked a couple of things on RAM (in an interview I remember hearing), saying something like "I like the bit about 3 LEGS, and the 'hands across the water," but..." and then went on to attack RAM, as he felt that Paul was taking shots at him in songs like TOO MANY PEOPLE (John: "Who's lucky break?") and BACKSEAT OF MY CAR (John: "we believe that we can't be wrong...well, I believe that you could possibly be wrong..."). Of course, that inspired him to write HOW DO YOU SLEEP? But, John really started it all on I FOUND OUT, with the line "I've seen thru junkies/I've been thru it all/I've seen religion/from Jesus to Paul..."

But, I digress.

My first Paul album was RAM. I was 13. I loved it, but comparing it to the Beatles at the time (in particular, ABBEY ROAD), thought it was really funky, and primitive sounding. Not that that was bad.

I DIDN'T like WILDLIFE, and DIDN'T like RED ROSE SPEEDWAY. I just thought he had gone too soft (despite putting out HI HI HI between those two albums). BAND ON THE RUN, however, blew me away, as it did for even his most severe critics at the time (I remember Jon Landau gushing over the album in ROLLING STONE, and he was definitely in the Lennon camp prior to that).

LONDON TOWN just disappointed me. It sounded soft again. I don't mean it didn't have rockers on it (CAFE ON THE LEFT BANK, NAME & ADDRESS, I'VE HAD ENOUGH-- but only NAME & ADDRESS had any real rocking feel to it...the others were way over-produced and too glossy), I mean it literally SOUNDED soft. I've said this before, but I remember hearing NAME & ADDRESS on the radio prior to LONDON TOWN's release, and being super psyched. Wow, what a great rocker! It literally jumped out of the speakers! Then, I get the album, and it sounded like, well, the production on VENUS & MARS...very soft sounding...no b***s to it...just...mehhh. I still like it, but it lost it's kick-ass sound somewhere between the early release for radio and it's placement on the album.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ringo7165 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:42 am

thanks Matta :-D

here's more of Lennon on RAM, from Hit Parader Interview (feb 72)

Q: "Did you listen to Paul McCartney's 'Ram' album?"

JOHN: "Of course I did. The first time I heard it I thought it was awful, and then the second time, ahem, I fixed the record player a bit and it sounded better. I enjoyed a couple like 'My Dog It's Got Three Legs' or something, and the intro to 'Uncle Albert.' I can't stand the second track from the... well I mean, it doesn't matter anyway. In general I think the other album he did was better in a way. At least there were some songs on it."

"I don't like all this dribblin' pop-opera jazz. I like pop records that are pop records."

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

And he had previously called "McCartney" "Rubbish".....so he really is still saying 90% very negative stuff....with a sprinkle of "I liked this bit"...of a tune , I can't really recall etc, in his sort of vague way. Ringo also thought RAM was awful.

Paul was in his own corner alright...it must have really felt like 3 against 1.

It really sounds as if folks , particularly "critics", were really pleased to get BOTR

Perhpas Paul was coming across as totally confident, and was "arriving" with a full set of songs, and message, whereas the other projects had only hints of the "former" beatle everyone expected to produce an entire album from, that had all the ingredients etc...

Luckily, I was able to go back and hear them fresh, without all the critical "hoopla" that surrounded the early McCartney stuff, just because when I entered the game, I was "back tracking". Maybe It was then easier to digest a Wild Life, or RRS, Or Ram. And I was only 12-13, so I either liked it, or didn't etc....it was pretty immediate.....

I can see how LT was kind of a downer for you. Makes sense.

Anyway, interesting all around Matta. I enjoy reading your comments too. You know a lot of stuff ! So I enjoy hearing from you, and learning.( and hearing what turns you on, or off) TKS
ringo7165

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 am

thanks, Ringo7165. Likewise!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions