Flaming Pie

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Flaming Pie

Postby james1985 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm

You guys – I didn't say it sucked at all, just that I don't really love it or think it belongs in discussions about his best work.

When it came out, it was 97. Just past the peak of Britpop – the Beatles were big. Really the last time (it might happen again) that they've been one of the reference points for the current trend in music (even if it was ultimately all Oasis Rutleing it up and the Chemical Brothers building a whole career off Tomorrow Never Knows). So FP was a big COMEBACK album and it really works as that.

What weakens it for me is the run of albums he's done since 2001. I think – in the way he writes, the quality control and the interesting places he goes to in his writing – FP has more in common with the run of records that preceded it than it does CACITBY, MAF, EA and New. Driving Rain points towards these albums, but I don't think FP does. So FP looks a bit weak in the context of his entire post-Anthology output for me.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Now just to clarify things, James, you don't think Flaming Pie points in the direction of Chaos with very personal tracks like "Somedays", "Little Willow", "The World Tonight", "Calico Skies" and "Great Day"?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:06 pm

james1985 wrote:even if it was ultimately all Oasis Rutleing it up

The first time I saw The Rutles in concert, about 10 years ago, Neil Innes started playing that opening riff in Shangri-La, singing "I'm free, to be whatever I want..."

A beautiful moment, the ultimate Neil Innes-Monty Python-Oasis-Rutles-then Rutles again riff!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby james1985 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:43 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:Now just to clarify things, James, you don't think Flaming Pie points in the direction of Chaos with very personal tracks like "Somedays", "Little Willow", "The World Tonight", "Calico Skies" and "Great Day"?

Not really, because I think after Linda died he explored and wrote about 'personal' themes in a slightly different way. There's nothing lyric-wise as interesting as From A Lover, or I Do, or Vanity Fair, or Too Much Rain, or You Tell Me for example.

Calico Skies means a lot to me because now we know it's a man pretty much saying goodbye to his wife. And it's really emotional and poignant. But the other songs you mention don't make me think "well, what does he mean by that" like a lot of the stuff from Driving Rain on has. FP has more in common with OTG and FITD (and I think it's a lot stronger than either of those two albums) than it does with the post-2000 stuff.

I'm not saying he's turned into Bob Dylan, but there's a weight and depth behind his post-2000 work that makes FP seem lightweight in comparison.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:
james1985 wrote:even if it was ultimately all Oasis Rutleing it up

The first time I saw The Rutles in concert, about 10 years ago, Neil Innes started playing that opening riff in Shangri-La, singing "I'm free, to be whatever I want..."

A beautiful moment, the ultimate Neil Innes-Monty Python-Oasis-Rutles-then Rutles again riff!

I should've gone to see them in London this summer, never got round to getting tickets. I'm an idiot.

I've always thought, if J&P had written I Must Be In Love, or With A Girl Like You etc instead of what actually came out, they probably would still have been big. Neil Innes is such a talent. And managed to write the best song about the Beatles, this always gets the old eyes a bit misty:

james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Respectfully disagree with you, James1985. FP is the whole package-- a dash of retrospection, a dab of introspection, a pinch of whimsy, varied musical styles, and a lot of GREAT melody and production values and arrangemets, and Beatley- sounding songs...and Paul's voice was still pretty much at it's zenith then.

ALl these factors contribute to the fact that, for me, it's the best solo album by Paul to date (it knocked TOW off that spot when it came out, which had knocked BOTR off before that), and among the top 2-3 of any of the Beatles.

However, CHAOS, MEMORY, ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS, and NEW have forced their way into the Top Ten, knocking out previous faves. Even RUN, DEVIL, RUN, because (though it's mostly a covers album, I think it's an emotional statement by Paul expressed thru pure, raw musical and vocal energy, trying to erase the pain of Linda's passing...as if he could rock and roll his way back to a place that would take him above what had to be an emotionally depressing period).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 am

james1985 wrote:
efghijiloveyou wrote:Now just to clarify things, James, you don't think Flaming Pie points in the direction of Chaos with very personal tracks like "Somedays", "Little Willow", "The World Tonight", "Calico Skies" and "Great Day"?

Not really, because I think after Linda died he explored and wrote about 'personal' themes in a slightly different way. There's nothing lyric-wise as interesting as From A Lover, or I Do, or Vanity Fair, or Too Much Rain, or You Tell Me for example.

Calico Skies means a lot to me because now we know it's a man pretty much saying goodbye to his wife. And it's really emotional and poignant. But the other songs you mention don't make me think "well, what does he mean by that" like a lot of the stuff from Driving Rain on has. FP has more in common with OTG and FITD (and I think it's a lot stronger than either of those two albums) than it does with the post-2000 stuff.

I'm not saying he's turned into Bob Dylan, but there's a weight and depth behind his post-2000 work that makes FP seem lightweight in comparison.

I don t wanna nitpick ...but Calico Skies is not a man saying goodbye to hisnwife -it was written and recorded before Linda was diagnocised with cancer. Anyway it s a great song-imho one of Pauls best.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 am

hmmm..totally agree that he's gotten 'deeper' since FP...but he did a far better job, album-length-wise, here than he had ever done before...

...'course...he was getting older...his kids were all growing up/away...he was, obviously, maturing as an individual...and that mindset had been creeping in pretty much since TOW...

if'n i 'member right...the album was worked on while she had been diagnosed and was going through all that...

for the most part i always thought the album as a whole wasn't a 'good-bye' moment...but a 'holy sh!t, what is happening to us'...moment.

agree w/MH...never saw CS in that light...always thought 'somedays' might've come closer to that sort of thing: it hit me as a quiet moment between two who had been through so much and were, at least possibly, looking down a very scary tunnel

no doubts in my mind, tho...of the recent very good run, FP, now, just does not feel as accomplished as each (with an exception...possibly, for DR) succeeding albums, suffering some of the weakness' that james alluded to, in one manner/way/form or another...

i've said it before...each and every album, since M2, has, in its own way, gotten more mature and, in many cases, better for it...all of which simply means, for me, that for some time now, he's been on quite a roll
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:50 am

mr h atom wrote:hmmm..totally agree that he's gotten 'deeper' since FP...but he did a far better job, album-length-wise, here than he had ever done before...

...'course...he was getting older...his kids were all growing up/away...he was, obviously, maturing as an individual...and that mindset had been creeping in pretty much since TOW...

if'n i 'member right...the album was worked on while she had been diagnosed and was going through all that...

for the most part i always thought the album as a whole wasn't a 'good-bye' moment...but a 'holy sh!t, what is happening to us'...moment.

agree w/MH...never saw CS in that light...always thought 'somedays' might've come closer to that sort of thing: it hit me as a quiet moment between two who had been through so much and were, at least possibly, looking down a very scary tunnel

no doubts in my mind, tho...of the recent very good run, FP, now, just does not feel as accomplished as each (with an exception...possibly, for DR) succeeding albums, suffering some of the weakness' that james alluded to, in one manner/way/form or another...

i've said it before...each and every album, since M2, has, in its own way, gotten more mature and, in many cases, better for it...all of which simply means, for me, that for some time now, he's been on quite a roll

Calico Skies was written 1991 and recorded 1992 . Lindas diagnosis occured 1993.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bravefan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 am

I'm really glad I brought up Flaming Pie on here. Learn a few things and gain some interesting perspective. I'll flame this up a little more by saying I like this work better than Memory Almost Full. Flame away boys and girls!!!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions