Happy New Year, Macca fans!
What better way to start the NEW year than to revisit my current rankings of New, which is still sounding great.
1. On My Way to Work - I just love this song so much. It's in my head more than any other on the album. So simple but I love the harmonies and lyrical voice inflections only Paul can do. It's been high on the list the entire way.
2. New - With this being the first single a month before the LP we heard it a lot so it moved down with the NEWness of the other songs. But this is such a catchy, great song and so damned well produced and I love where it is positioned on the album. It's just flawlessly executed. I know the comparisons to Penny Lane, etc AH! He's done it before! So what???? Familiar rhythms in a similar style - but it's STILL a great song that stands on its own. Disagree? BITE me!
3. Alligator - Edgy and catchy at the same time and sung with so much confidence. Love it, especially the middle 8
4. Early Days - this one spent a lot of time on top for me and probably will again. It's a timeless song, period
5. Appreciate - just love the groovy (can we still say that?) verses and rock-out chorus combo
6. Hosanna - Yeah this one has moved way up for me. I still wish the chorus was a little more powerful but it is satisfyingly trippy with a classic McCartney melody.
7. I Can Bet - I still think Barry Gibb could have written this. Definite 70's feel to it and catchy as hell
8. Turned Out - And I think George Harrison could have written this one. I go back and forth in the rankings with this one and I Can Bet
9. Queenie Eye - Still like this but it has not held up as well for me. I think it's the chorus that brings it down a tad. The rest is great
10.Scared - this is a great song that should have been better and it has to do with a lack of production. Yeah, it's vulnerable and appropriate for the lyric, but when it's alongside the other tracks I can't help but think what a great track this COULD be. I feel the same way about End of the End.
11. Road - very creative track and awesome production, which IMO is better than the actual song which is why it's not higher on the list for me.
12. Everybody Out There - "There but for the grace of God go you...And I" - love that part. Overall it's sounding preachy and not crazy about the voice effect at the end
13. Get Me Out of Here - this will probably leap over EOT by tomorrow morning. Fun song, good bonus track, nothing more.
14. Save Us - It "Turned Out" my initial thoughts on this song were correct. Yes, it's nice to hear Paul rocking right out of the gate. This is just not a great song. I don't like the guitar effects at all. They sound computerized when they should have been louder, cleaner and more metal sounding. The chorus is weak and he has done MUCH better rock songs in his solo career with Jet, Junior's Farm and Only Mama Knows among others.
As for album rankings I still have NEW in my top 3 with BOTR and Ram.