My current rankings of NEW songs

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

My current rankings of NEW songs

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Happy New Year, Macca fans! :ymparty:

What better way to start the NEW year than to revisit my current rankings of New, which is still sounding great.

1. On My Way to Work - I just love this song so much. It's in my head more than any other on the album. So simple but I love the harmonies and lyrical voice inflections only Paul can do. It's been high on the list the entire way.

2. New - With this being the first single a month before the LP we heard it a lot so it moved down with the NEWness of the other songs. But this is such a catchy, great song and so damned well produced and I love where it is positioned on the album. It's just flawlessly executed. I know the comparisons to Penny Lane, etc AH! He's done it before! So what???? Familiar rhythms in a similar style - but it's STILL a great song that stands on its own. Disagree? BITE me! :razz:

3. Alligator - Edgy and catchy at the same time and sung with so much confidence. Love it, especially the middle 8

4. Early Days - this one spent a lot of time on top for me and probably will again. It's a timeless song, period

5. Appreciate - just love the groovy (can we still say that?) verses and rock-out chorus combo \M/

6. Hosanna - Yeah this one has moved way up for me. I still wish the chorus was a little more powerful but it is satisfyingly trippy with a classic McCartney melody.

7. I Can Bet - I still think Barry Gibb could have written this. Definite 70's feel to it and catchy as hell

8. Turned Out - And I think George Harrison could have written this one. I go back and forth in the rankings with this one and I Can Bet

9. Queenie Eye - Still like this but it has not held up as well for me. I think it's the chorus that brings it down a tad. The rest is great

10.Scared - this is a great song that should have been better and it has to do with a lack of production. Yeah, it's vulnerable and appropriate for the lyric, but when it's alongside the other tracks I can't help but think what a great track this COULD be. I feel the same way about End of the End.

11. Road - very creative track and awesome production, which IMO is better than the actual song which is why it's not higher on the list for me.

12. Everybody Out There - "There but for the grace of God go you...And I" - love that part. Overall it's sounding preachy and not crazy about the voice effect at the end

13. Get Me Out of Here - this will probably leap over EOT by tomorrow morning. Fun song, good bonus track, nothing more.

14. Save Us - It "Turned Out" my initial thoughts on this song were correct. Yes, it's nice to hear Paul rocking right out of the gate. This is just not a great song. I don't like the guitar effects at all. They sound computerized when they should have been louder, cleaner and more metal sounding. The chorus is weak and he has done MUCH better rock songs in his solo career with Jet, Junior's Farm and Only Mama Knows among others.

As for album rankings I still have NEW in my top 3 with BOTR and Ram. :-BD
Last edited by ComeOnBrotha on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Re: My current rankings of NEW songs

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 am

:salute

couldn't possibly agree with it all...but quite nice...well thought out, hoss :-BD
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 am

mr h atom wrote::salute

couldn't possibly agree with it all...but quite nice...well thought out, hoss :-BD

Thank you kind sir :smile:

I know there are certain posters on here who think they are better than Macca :roll: but we know better
ComeOnBrotha

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:28 am

nice review, ComeOnBrotha.

Agree on "Save Us" totally.

The rest of the rankings and comments aren't much different than mine (except "On My Way To Work"-- I like it, but I think it's MIDDLE OR LOWER END OF THE PACK, which isn't a knock because the album really has very few weak moments on it).

NEW is holding up really, really well.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:00 pm

I think New is one of his best solo singles he has ever done...as you put it in your thread "Paul's Perfect Pop". There is simply no one who can write and perform like him
ComeOnBrotha

Postby bravefan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:04 am

To kind of piggyback that Brotha, when my wife first heard "New", she said, "Now that's Paul!"
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 pm

btw, just a comment on "Get Me Out Of Here." I think it's a GREAT album closer (which it would be if the DELUXE version were the OFFICIAL version-- but then you also have the hidden track, so, it gets complicated, doesn't it?). I think it's similar in feel to "Great Day" which closed FLAMING PIE. If you can't end an album with a big bang-- and sometimes those attempts fall flat ("C'mon People" from OTG, "Morse Moose..." on LT)-- sometimes it's better to go out with something that is less-is-more, something not too complicated or ambitious, but which is still clever, or melodic, or hopefully both. "Get Me Out Of Here" could have been a lot worse. But, the arrangement is really nice. I LOVE the bombastic percussion/drum sound it builds to...as well as the distorted vocals-- which come at you in two different ways (listen to the last verse as opposed to the first few). It's actually one of my favorite songs on this album. It's very unpretentious, catchy, and manages to have a clever message without being preachy or pie-in-the-sky. Kind of on the order of "Cosmically Conscious."

This album is just fantastic. So many songs that continue to sound fresh to me, and stand up to repeated listenings.
Last edited by Mattal1958 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

GMOOH ????

well...not only all that matts..but it manages to be slyly humorous, too...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:28 am

yes, Mr H. Forgot to mention that. It IS slyly humorous. That's actually one of it's main attractions for me.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to MACCA - all discussions