MY REVIEW OF 'NEW' BY garrystanton

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: MY REVIEW OF 'NEW' BY garrystanton

Postby bravefan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:20 am

Very interesting discussion and comments about New. I really think it's the best work he's done in years. As Matta put it, I also bought the Diving Board. Its good but I can't play it now. New I continue to play and it's not getting old at all to me. I just hope Macca has a few more tricks up his sleeve. This CD has been surprisingly satisfying to me.
Matta, a side note: try the Elton John CD with Leon Russell. it's amazing!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:59 am

Bravefan, you know, maybe I will (the Elton/Leon collab), but I remember being excited about it when it was first released, so I sampled some songs on I-Tunes...and, it just sounded...lifeless.

Perhaps it's the kind of album that you have to really give entire listens to songs to really get the feel of it. But, maybe I will. Have always thought highly of Leon, and I'm a big Elton fan (except for his late 80's thru late 90's dreck).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 am

I've seen Macca numerous times as well as Elton. The first time for both was in 76. Both tickets were under $10. It was probably at the height of Elton's popularity. I also saw Leon once in the 80's. Amazing that both Elton and Macca didn't have productive 80's. I always wondered why the two did not hook up and actually put out some music together, especially in the 80's.
Matta, I think our musical tastes are quite similar. Try sampling the song Shiloh off the Elton-Leon Cd. Amazing.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:58 pm

I'll have to give it a listen.

Yes, it might have been interesting, but I don't think that would have worked out. That was at the height of Elton's indulgent period, I believe, and Paul was pretty much hanging around the house with Linda and the kids. Wouldn't have worked. Totally different lifestyles.

But, it might have produced something decent. The entire decade of the 80's, however, with just a few exceptions, was a lost decade musically for me. Never liked the production style, and EVERYONE was a slave to it-- even the superstars. Paul and Elton included.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:48 pm

cannot agree at all, matts...for macca alone the '80's gave us TOW, P2P and FITD: three great albums, imho

as far as the rest goes...the '80's gave us...

they might be giants, the mission uk, big country, u2, the cure, sinead o'connor, depeche mode, melissa etheridge, the fixx, guns & roses, the hooters, the waterboys, indigo girls, lyle lovett, steve earle, the church, husker du, the police, red hot chili peppers, prince, julian cope, REM, tears for fears, camper van beethoven, soul asylum, talking heads, xtc, ...just to name a few...

it also saw clapton release 'journeyman'...robby roberston release his splendiferous eponymous lp, peter gabriel released some of his best '#3', 'security' and 'so'...ry cooder released one of his best 'get rhythm', roger waters released his underrated 'radio kaos' as well as 'adventures in hitchhiking', pete townshend released 'empty glass', sting went solo with two thunderously great lps: 'dream of the blue turtles' and 'nothing like the sun'...

tip o' the iceberg, that :wink:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:33 am

In comparison to the 60's, 70's, and 90's, I think the 80's pales, Mr. H. Yes, a lot of good stuff WAS released (Dire Straits among them, but they were more late 70's new wave era), no doubt.

And yes, TUG OF WAR. One of Paul's top FIVE. (We don't agree on the rest of his 80's stuff, unless we count the RUSSIAN ALBUM, which was ANTI-80's in almost every conceivable way!).

Again, it was the Top 40 SOUND that I hated. The drum machines. The synths. The echoey stuff. It all sounded like music produced by some dark, sinister corporate MACHINE. Literally a MACHINE, spewing it out on conveyer belts.

But, my wife LOVES that stuff (because she was brought up on it), and she's a Beatles (and Paul) fanatic, too, so...what the hell do I know? :razz:
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:00 pm

WOW! WOWIE WOW WOW WOW!!

You guys just blow me away with your knowledge. I know a lot about Paul but you guys. . . . WHEW!

Except for the songs, I agree with everyone about their thoughts on Paul.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:Again, it was the Top 40 SOUND that I hated. The drum machines. The synths. The echoey stuff. It all sounded like music produced by some dark, sinister corporate MACHINE. Literally a MACHINE, spewing it out on conveyer belts.

There was a fantastic BBC documentary recently called Synth Britannia (it's available on Youtube) which shows the history of how electronic music evolved. It's mainly from a British stance, but hey, we Brits rule the world at music! :-D

Well worth watching, these guys really were pioneers and created some fantastic music. A machine can't make great music, it can only be told what to play by those who have written the songs in the first place.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:42 pm

thank you, G4B. I know a bit. Others here probably know more!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Continuing the digression, I'd say I'm more in Mattal's camp on the subject of the eighties. I just don't like the sound of the eighties. Mr. H, your list of 'great' music of the eighties is, in my opinion of course, not very inspiring if you're trying to win me over. :wink: Not saying it's all bad by any stretch, just that even the best of the eighties doesn't do much for me. Other than McCartney II and Tug of War, Paul's music is sub-par for him. A lot of folks think highly of Flowers in the Dirt and, while I think it's ok, compared to the rest of Paul's discography I'd say it's middle to bottom of the pack for me. And Press to Play...well, that one is emblematic of the period and therefore not something that's going to make me think wistfully of the time. But hey, you know I realize every period has it's fans and it's day in court (but if you ask me, the eighties is guilty and should be sentenced to hang by the neck until dead!) :mrgreen:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions