Favorite McCartney song since Y2K?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Favorite McCartney song since Y2K?

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 pm

I find Mr. H very easy to read, Mattal, as long as the book is "Ripley's Believe it or Not!". :-D
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 am

ah, yes, Ef...and yet...one never really knows...is it the 'believe it' or the 'not' .... MU-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAA

in this case, tho...'tis true: RDR represent the single finest R&R moment by sir p since BTTE...and one of his flat-out finest pure R&R moments ever...easily matches w/ 'she's a woman'...'oh darling', 'back in the ussr', 'helter skelter'...U name it !

it is just flat out a great R&R song...

i would have to agree w/JK2....MV should be one of the most highly regarded songs if all good and true things are allowed to be...signal that everpresent Asia moment

...methinks it is a better song than 'early days' and/or 'scared'...and that is saying alot

...not quite sure (yet) if it would top my list, but it is mos def in there.

funny...two highly regarded, great songs...both off two highly creative 'covers' albums...both showing paul in a peak of a prime as can be expected purely by indulging in an homage to a style of music he loves...

as to a vague list i'm ruminating on, at this point, i'm considering...

off DR, tho there are many really good songs, only...'lonely road' stands out for me.

off C&CITB...altho there are even more exquisite offerings...'fine line' and 'riding to vanity fair'

MAF is tougher still...for me...it's a better album, richer, deeper, more adventurous, more creative...i would HAVE to make the medley one song-ish...so: VC/TWM/FITC/HOW is a feat of wonder...but 'the end of the end' is a far more poignant, brutal and honest song than the slightly overpraised (but most excellent) 'early days' and 'scared' of that new thaing

EA ?? i can easily see 'sing the changes'...no prob...but, altho the rest is, again, most excellent, i can't see any of 'em beating what i've mentioned or what is yet to come...so...

KOTB -- my valentine...nuff said....

NEW...hmmm....great album...great set of songs: not a weak one in the bunch...still...only 'early days', appreciate' and 'scared are that good....
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:25 am

I think, if we are to look at it purely in standards of technical songwriting, "My Valentine" might be the one.

But, I view that song as an excellent (well, beyond excellent) homage to a "style" (fitting the album). I hear older standards in it, most notably, "Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered."

Interesting take on "Run, Devil, Run" Mr. H. I would agree it is one of the best half dozen or so original, pure rockers Paul has ever written and recorded (both as a Beatle and a solo...oh, and a "Wing").

Just an aside on NEW, "Hosanna" is rapidly approaching the rarified air of "Early Days," "Appreciate," and "Queenie Eye." I've gone from "I can't really listen to this song" to "this is borderline classic."
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:05 pm

i totally agree in that it is and has been a riser...that is coming up on the others...

but, right now, imho ? that also means that it might not necessarily have what it takes to continue onward...not even sure if it's still moving.

for me, i couldn't get into it for the longest time...heck, even 'new' took to firmer ground quicker than it...

but it is(was ?) a grower, as they say...

just not yet sure whether, for me, it'll grow that much more...thus my reasoning as toward it not being on my list

i'm sure there are others who feel differently...but...they're wrong :YMTONGUE: ... :wink: ... :-D

\:d/
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I just threw that "Hosanna" thing out there because it goes to show you that you should NEVER make a final decision on something after limited exposure (unless it's "Morse Moose And The Grey Goose," but I digress). Which is why I find it hilarious when critics, who have to review dozens of albums, make these monumental declarations about the music after listening to it once...if that.

"Appreciate" was one I didn't like immediately, but that shot up quickly.

"Some I loved right from the start-- "Early Days," "Queenie Eye"-- and have stayed right up there.

Others I know aren't really major works of art-- "Turned Out"-- but the joy of listening to that song over and over again never subsides.

This album really is something special.

Wait, what thread am I on, anyway?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:42 pm

:twisted: a very short one if yer dissin' da Moose [-X

:shock: ... =))

:YMHUG:

:wink:
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:25 am

LOL, Mr. H!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and every/anyone else reading this! :ymparty:
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 pm

OH, KRIKEY !!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!
mr h atom

Postby chris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:28 pm

first, i'd like to say happy new year to all...you are a fine group to be sharing it with.

regarding this never happened before...tis a fine song. one that...and this never, ever happens...felt as if i'd heard it earlier...in fact, I may have even felt like singing along to it...on my very first listen. (far to easy to lay a pun on you fine kids...so I won't)

fave since 2000? i'm going to go with early days. but I can change my mind before i'm finished with this post. this fellow isn't too bad at a ditty here and there.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Chris, I think that's what turns me off to "This Never Happened Before." It sounds too familiar, in a generic way. Kind of bland. OK, I'll stop!!!!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions