What triggered you into Mccartney?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

What triggered you into Mccartney?

Postby boney1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm

This post is about memories when Mccartney entered your subconciousness.
How and with what he became your hero and from that moment on you could't resist to hear everything (all over again)
what he had done before that particular moment, (buying every record) and everything he would make in the future.

I'll make a start.
You could have listened to the Beatles as the Beatles. You could have even preferred Lennon songs
to Mccartney songs. "Strawberry Fields", "A day in life', Come Together".
The same goes for Harrison p/a 'I want to tell you'(interesting backing vocals Mccartney) or 'Something'.

But with what did Mccartney gained ground in your head, your heart, your soul?

Was it his bassplaying, his appearance, his Beatlelesque ( somethimes deep )voice, the melodies or all of them?
Was it the climax ending of 'Hey Jude' Helter Skelter' or 'The backseat of my car'?

Was Hey Jude your turning point, Yesterday? Hmm. okay
'Penny Lane', 'Lady Madonna' prehaps.
Or was it what he did on the White Album? "I Will', 'Mother Natures Son', 'Blackbird'.
Or was it 'Golden Slumbers', 'Let it Be'.
or was it later, perhaps in the seventies or eighties that his music grabbed you.

From that moment you'd listen different to his songs and the Beatles,
filtering out his backing vocals in Lennon songs like in 'Norwegian Wood' 'And your bird can't sing'.
Or his little tribute to 'A day in Life' 'Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head, Found my way downstairs and drank a cup....
what he did again in "Free as a bird'.

From that point on you were only hearing his fabulous voice and bassplaying.
It was like coming home with Mccartney.

So What was your moment? With what did Mccartney enter your (well defended) sound system?
looking through the backyard of my life, time to sweep the fallen leaves away
boney1

Re: What triggered you into Mccartney?

Postby lobbybobby » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 pm

For me it was the summer of 1973. I was twelve years old at the time and my half sister was visiting for summer vacation(she lived in Michigan, and I in Florida). I was already a big Beatle fan, and Paul was my fave. My Love was a hit, and she knew I was a fan, so she bought me Red Rose Speedway. That was it for me.

Do you need a pal for a minute or two
you do
me too me too me too
i'm a lot like you

And I believed him. He was like me. That's when he and I became lifelong inseperable friends. We've had our ups and downs, but he's never ever dissapointed me.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby boney1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your story lobby.

For me it was 1968, Lady Madonna.
I had a little radio, was 10 and on vacation in Italy and I listened
secretly when I should be asleep to Radio Luxembourg.
De midwave signal always faded slowly and came back loud again.
They played Lady Madonna often and I could't wait to hear it again.
I loved the singing, not knowing it was McCartney.
In 1970 I was in a record store and the played Let it Be.
I can remember exactly that moment.
Then in 1972 someone gave me Abbey Road an The White Album.
They changed my life. Played them 10000 times. Still into the Beatles,though
not especially Mccartney. I felt sorry the Beatles had split up.
That changed in the same year I guess wenn I turned on a radio in my fathers
garage and they played Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.
That was so good, that warm beatleslesque McCartney sound.
That was my turning point. I Bought RAM and was blown away.
Long haired lady is so brilliant...
Then I bought Mccartney 1, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and was blown away by..Mccartney and the Beatles.
I also bought Lennon/Plastic Ono band an Imagine , great too, but it is Mccartney who got
a lifetime place in my subconcious cosmic temple.
He did it again with '1985' until even this year. It's a long list.
Last edited by boney1 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
looking through the backyard of my life, time to sweep the fallen leaves away
boney1

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:08 pm

This is a great question.

I was introduced to the Beatles in 1964, at the age of 6, when I saw them on Ed Sullivan, and I just HAD TO HAVE "MEET THE BEATLES." And, my parents indulged me. I played that record on the Hi Fi (well, my Mom or Dad did-- mostly my Mom) over and over and over again...but, at some point, I lost interest.

FF to 1970. Age 12. Beatles already split up. It was at THIS point I became a TRUE Beatles fan. The very first album I got was MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, and the rest was history...for them as my favorite band.

Around this time (well, a tad later), the radio was filled with post-Beatles solo songs...Paul's "Another Day," John's "Instant Karma!," George's "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life," and Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy." Soon, I began hearing "Too Many People" on the radio, and thought it was a new Beatles song. Don't ask me why, but it just sounded like a Beatles song to me. I think, it was around this time I became a Paul fan.
A friend of mine was very into RAM, and he would play that, The WHITE ALBUM, and BEATLES '65 (talk about an odd trio of records!) all the time at his house, where we would hang, drink cokes, and listen to music during summer days when it was too hot and humid to play baseball (summer of '71). My friend was particularly enamored with RAM, and played it incessantly, and that was when I really became hooked on Paul's music. He also played ABBEY ROAD, and I always thought, wow, what a difference the Beatles and Beatle Paul sounded compared to RAM Paul. I thought ABBEY ROAD was such a great, polished rock and roll album-- nearly perfect-- and RAM was this strange sounding, funky, odd record, not anywhere near as polished as the Beatles...yet there was something about it that I loved-- particularly songs like "3 Legs" and "Too Many People," and "Smile Away."

I remember also getting heavily into the other solo Beatles, too, and got John's IMAGINE album. I remember listening to "How Do You Sleep?" and even at the age of 12, knew this was a vicious attack on Paul. The funny thing is, I LIKED the song. I thought it was incredibly clever, and George's guitar solo was magnificent-- it still stands as one of his finest slide guitar solos ever. But, as clever as the song was, I found it a bit sad that John would attack his friend like that, so this further endeared me to Paul.

And, the rest, as they say, is history...got EVERYTHING he did after that, on release days. And bought the McCartney album and "ANother Day" as well, to complete my McCartney library. A library that is quite big some 43 years later. I'm sure, like many of us here, I have things in the ol' library Paul doesn't even realize exists.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm

What a great topic! I was more recent - I heard For No One in 1999 and quickly saved up and bought ALL the Beatles albums at once. Having run out of Beatles, and assuming John Lennon was the amazing one, I went out and bought all of his. Ugh. Then George Harrison... quite good. Then I thought I'd give the goofy one a try - and Driving Rain was just out... And funnily enough I liked it a bit (at the time :roll: ), and as I slowly built my collection I realised who the amazing Beatle was. He has had dramatic ups and downs but his ear for melody has always been unparalleled and he has been the soundtrack of my whole early adulthood, and continues to be with his amazing recent streak. I think NEW is going to catch fire if I play it again. His voice is so special to us all - from his amazing vocal acrobatics of the 70s to his wonderful new noble voice.
JimQ

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:10 pm

don't be dissuaded by the nattering nabobs, JQ...DR is a mighty fine album....whose only 'problem', like so many of sir p's albums, is that it is a tall, strong elm in a sea of awe-inspiring, beautiful giant sequoias !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Sure is, H. I enjoy me some Driving Rain from time to time. As for the thread title, when I was 8 or 9, I was at a friend's house and his Dad had The Beatles Second Album and Beatles VI and we played those over and over and then one day at home, I was looking through my Mom's lps and came across Meet The Beatles (those American versions of Beatles albums are frustrating! JimQ probably has no idea what I'm talking about...). Well, let me tell you! That was it, I was hooked. Then I found amongst Mom's 45s "She Loves You" backed with...was it "Thank You Girl" or "I'll Get You"? Can't remember, but it was like finding pure gold. To this day, there's a special place in my heart for those early Beatles tracks. The first Paul McCartney album I ever bought was the weird and wonderful McCartney II.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:47 pm

not sure i ever would have consciously admitted this to myself...but it's a very real possibility that mac 2 was also my first paul purchase.

listening to my parents lp's introduced them to me as well. a hard days night was first. I listened to it about a hundred times before I even tried another. I knew right away I was hooked. but I then discovered rubber soul, sgt pepper and abbey road. and no one since has come close. I was a beatle addict by the time is was in 6th grade.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 am

so...you wanna know a secret ?

it wasn't the beatles...oh, i knew of them...liked them...but...

it was that freakin 'uncle albert' and his drinking buddy the good admiral...they did it !!

now..they had help...my older brother was in cahoots with them !!

see...i luvs me some music...doesn't really matter where/when/how/why...i think it might be vonnegut who had this quote (that i'm gonna mangle...so, sue me) that goes something like " if you want proof god exists...just listen to music!"

hee haw ? watched it every week...the lawrence welk show...guilty...soul train...absolutely...midnight special was more than a cool cover by CCR...and the reason carson and SNL existed was the music (the muppets taught me comedy...them and those silly walkers, the pythons)...same for cavett...mike douglas...any of 'em...pbs ?? operas...symphonies...stage plays...movie musicals ? sure...to this day, fiddler on the roof...i can sing it all !!

music...music...music

Los Super Seven made an ode to the great high powered mexican stations that played anything...i lived for the nights when the weather was good and i could get all that strange/wonderful sounds...i, too, heard it on the X

..but..it was that danged admiral...he stole my soul on down to the bottom of the sea e'en afore that morse moose woulda thunk about it...i've never been sorry, either, unka al...

up until Ram...it never mattered...i'd listen to any radio station and any kind of music (still do) but the admiral...he flew into my brain and LIVED there...

my brother found out...and he perpetrated the great crime ever...he got me hooked !!

oh...it was a nefarious task, indeed: he loved to play ping pong...and was good, really good...but he needed a stooge to practice endlessly on...i was good, still am, but i'm not gargantuan good...and i got pretty tired of getting my butt whip solidly...oh, i tried..tried real hard...no go...
but...he got sneaky...he knew...KNEW i loved music..and, somewhere along the way, he must've come up w/a masterplan: to get me to play, all he had to do was allow me to select the music or bait me with some really good new stuff...go a little easy on me, i'd play forever...

he found out i loved UA/AH...he TRICKED me...he played RAM...that was it !! game over !! i was F^&*ed !!

then he brought out the white album...then he kept at it...mccartney....mcgear....abbey road....endless pain...but it always came back to ram...the ram and that danged admiral...

once he found that weakness...it was all over but the crying...i was doomed...soon it was all 'you know my name ? and he HAD my number...for every macca gem he unleashed, he brought out a beatle one..or pink floyd..or the who...or creedence...

and...he was a crafty one, that dude: he kept some stuff HIDDEN !! so, when i was a bit...recalcitrant...he'd whip out some gem...first time i heard 'check my machine' ?? HE HAD IT !!!

SUMNABEECHEE... but he had me

my first buy was ram (a few years after its initial release)...my second, the white album (obviously quite a few years after its initial release) ...my first day-n-date was back to the egg...and, to this day, in almost all instances, mccartney is one of a select few who i make it an issue to try and get their stuff day-n-date...

and he shares a distinction of being one of only two artists...the other being stephen king...for who i have virtually every single item they've brought forth to the general public...and a few that haven't, too...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby chris » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:40 am

what an incredibly honest and personally revealing recall. thanks for that, esteemed brother H. early on...while reading it...I detected a tone...a rhythm...(and knowing what I know about you...I knew I knew)...a familiarity. the thought occurred to me somewhere round the ..."hee haw, Lawrence welk, soul train..." paragraph that I knew for sure.

I, too, am a big stephen king fan. he remains my most looked forward-to author. we've chatted about him before. despite his reputation...he continues to improve on his near without peer storytelling abilities. he can tell you what is happening...while revealing precisely what the person going through it feels about it. he has a style which includes silliness, smarts, philosophy, sadness, madness and wonder. and i'd know his writing style...or anything close to it...from a mile away.

I appreciate that last post. it was an ever-so-small peek into who you are...even if you aren't aware of it. I think you write in a style that very much is influenced by us faithful constant readers. that is a mighty high praise from...the likes of me. keep that up, sir. when you put your mind to it...turns out you're a pretty dandy writer yourself.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions