Who is playing with Paul here?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Who is playing with Paul here?

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Have just come across this video on Youtube tonight, showing a couple of interviews Paul did in 2001 around the time of "Freedom".

If you skip to about 17:40 to the performance of Freedom, I'm wondering who the musicians are on stage with him? The drummer certainly looks like Blair Cunningham (Off The Ground and subsequent tour) but I don't recognise the guitarist or keyboard player.

I guess this must have been one of the very last times that he performed live in a band set up without it being the regular Abe/Rusty/Brian/Wix line up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8GubnwF-Q
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Re: Who is playing with Paul here?

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Don't know who the musicians are (other than I think that IS Blair on drums), but have to say, that first interview was excellent. Paul was in great form, I thought. Very funny, in a subtle way. He usually hams it up on interviews, but this one revealed a sense of humor and a bit of an edge (almost) that I've rarely seen.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 pm

oobs...I've never seen these guys before. session musicians would be my guess. which...I think...is what abe, rusty and brian were before they became part of paul's permanent touring band. and aren't we better off for it?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:28 am

i'm gonna go with 100% sure that is NOT blair - didn't look a bit like BC...

that, in fact, i'm thinking they are all either session musicians...or worse, actors...'cuz the song, at the end, was def lipsynched...watch it again and cry a bit, fans...not live: memorex !!

but that Ross interview ??

priceless...best 'n loosest i've ever seen the man...funny as all heck, too

class A stuff, that

he wasn't too bad w/ant n dec, either...too bad about the fakery
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:34 am

Mr. H, you're no doubt right about it not being Blair. Oh, well. My bad. Maybe I wanted it to be Blair. Always liked him in the band!

Glad you think the same way about that interview. Paul was terrific, I thought! I would go so far as to say I bet Paul is, off camera, like that ALL the time (or most of the time). I believe it's his inner censor that constantly makes him alter or drop what he REALLY wants to say, and come up with blander, more easily digestible sound bytes (or is it bites?), trying to appeal always to the most common denominator. The opposite of Lennon, who always spoke first, then thought about it later. Wish Paul would adapt the latter attitude more often!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm

With the credits rolling across the screen, I couldn't really tell but my bet for the drummer is Abe with a head full of hair. His mannerisms are very similar to the Abe I have seen in concert and on TV. My vote is the drummer is Abe. The other musicians are either session musicians or members of the other bands appearing in that concert show. But I think the drummer is Abe.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:07 pm

I feel it's just actors with no music background as no-one is in any way convincing! The guitar solo is hilariously badly mimed. I know of a famous stage show where the sax player was actually a janitor from the hotel who never touched a sax in his life
JimQ

Postby mr h atom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:13 pm

yeah, JQ...agreed

sorry, G4...i didn't get an abe vibe, either...

gotta stop suckin' down that smoky mountain moonshine...it's makin' yer eyes see ddoouubbllee

that...or share :wink:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Woah woah woah everyone, I'm putting my foot down with a firm hand here.

I'm 100% certain that is NOT Abe on drums. I know this was 12 years ago, but I also yesterday saw a video from the NYC concert from 2001 which does have Abe on drums, and he looks pretty much identical (on a laptop screen) to what he does now.

I still think it's Blair, but happy to be proved wrong. Have a look at the drummer between the start of the song and 18:00, there are some good views of him, then compare to this picture of Blair - http://images3.mtv.com/uri/mgid:file:docroot:vh1.com:/sitewide/flipbooks/img/shows/bands_reunited2/2.jpg?enlarge=false&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0.85
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby james1985 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Haha, how young do Ant and Dec look. And the three of them are quite nervous with him, it's sweet.

Man, Freedom. It's weird, I usually completely forget it was on Driving Rain and it dominated the promo so much. Just looking back on it, it seems such an un-McCartney song, an un-McCartney reaction. But I guess that was before the word freedom became the thing that Bush etc sold the war to people on.

I wonder if there's any interviews where he talks about the song and what he made of it a few years later, after he stopped playing it?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions