NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Mr. H,

Possibly.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:02 pm

well...as brutha C is oft wont to say..DON'T be scerred...(unless you've found those pictures of either of us in a pink tutu...then, be afraid ...be very afraid !)

nope...the only thing we have to fear is...well...i don't remember...probably miley cyrus...or justin beiber...or deep fried tarantula

make like burton cummings and stand tall !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:49 am

Made a few changes in my previous posting concerning this all important matter
Here are the Macca albums I consider OUTSTANDING
McCartney(alway loved that one)
Ram( for me one of the greatest and most original popalbums ever)
Band on the Run( a prefect example of pocraft at it very best)
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard(Introspect album containg some of Pauls most realized postbeatles songs)
New( This might be a bit new but contains both songwriting of an amazing calibre and great arrangements/production- (his latecareer peak?)

Here are the ones I consider TRULY GREAT
McCartney 2(took me many years to get on to this one but once converted no turning back- the best deluxeedition so far - might eve be outstanding but not yet)
Tug of war(some weaker spots holds this one back from being outstanding. Still a collection of songs and sounds few can match)
Venus and mars( this one contains so much well crafted music and songs but a bit to workmanlike to be among the outstanding albums)
Flaming Pie- has some amazing songs but some fillers as well. The best stuff shines way up above on top level Macca though like the wondrous Little Willow
Run devil Run-so much energy and stunning vocals here
Kisses on the bottom- As a coveralbum of the great american songbook as good as it gets. particularly enjoy Pauls singing here

Here are he ones I consider GREAT
Wild life-this one contains some absolutely gorgeous songwriting. Unfortunately also some of the opposite
Red Rose speedway- Could have and should have been better. Still this weird collection of assorted songs have a special magic-here and there.
Memory Almost full- A very good album that for some reason didn t stand the test of time for me. Although I do like some of the songs
London Town- Always had a soft spot for this one - warts and all
Wings at the speed of sound- Containing some of Wings best songs-and some of their worst

Here are the ones I consider GOOD by most standards but not by Maccas own
Electric arguments- Interesting album but to much of nothing here and
The russian album- Nice cover album with some great moments but lacks the intensity of run devil run

Here are the ones I consider mere AVERAGE
Back to the egg- Guess paul started to be a bit bored with the Wings concept and that shows. There are some great moments though.
Flowers in the dirt- hailed as a major comeback -not for me. Some really great stuff mixed with some of Pauls worst ever(motor of love ugh). Badly overproduced.
Driving Rain- Nothing much here-really.
Pipes of peace- Slightly better than reputation but not much

Here are the ones i consider BELOW AVERAGE
Press to play-Horrible production and mostly second rate songs.(some good ones to).
Of the Ground-for me totally without merits as a maccaalbum. As a MOR-album by any other guess it could be ok
Give my regards to broad street- No thank s

Also would like to give a honorable mention to Wings over America-One of the best livealbums ever and aul at one of his peaks as a singer
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:10 pm

thanks, efghijiloveyou!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:35 am

Ok, I'm not sure I've ever done this, but Mhnso has inspired me.

OUTSTANDING: Ram...the peak of Macca's post-Beatles creativity and a beautifully recorded album.
Band on the Run...what more can be said about this masterpiece? Inspired and fun, these songs feel Beatly.
Memory Almost Full...A latter day gem as captivating as anything in Paul's catalogue.
New...loaded with fresh yet somehow familiar wonders- the latest proof of Macca's never ending well of talent.
Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard...an absorbing and revealing look into Paul's emotions with top shelf material.
Electric Arguments...creative abandon not heard since McCartney II.

TRULY GREAT: Tug of War...polished and confident these great songs shine with some George Martin goodness.
Flaming Pie...The first multi-producer effort (?), some great introspective songs here, a sister to Chaos in a way.
Venus and Mars...Wings at their commercial peak.
Run Devil Run...Paul emerges from a dark period with a triumphant celebration of his youth and ROCKS the house!
McCartney II...Weird and wonderful, creative and carefree, unapologetic and pure Paul.

GREAT: McCartney...See above.
Kisses on the Bottom...If you're going to do this kind of thing, this is how it should be done- I love it!

GOOD: Back to the Egg...There are good tracks here mostly, but it lacks a gem or two. Old Siam is a favorite, more please!
Red Rose Speedway...Pleasant songcraft here. Some really nice songs, but lacks a little oomph.
Off the Ground...under appreciated mostly, this one deserves more attention than it gets.
Wild Life...Love the production. Some good/great stuff here mixed with some not so good.
Driving Rain...Needs to lose a few tracks...couple of nice tunes but oddly dull. "About You" is great, more please!

AVERAGE: Pipes of Peace...A sentimental favorite, kind of...slick and polished, but lacking energy.
Speed of Sound...Suffers from too much band, not enough Paul. Sounds great to my ears though.
Flowers in the Dirt...much like Press to Play, eighties production tends to hurt this one as time goes by.
Choba B Cccp...This one never felt like a true album to me, more like a collection of rehearsals. Not bad, though.

BELOW AVERAGE: Give My Regards to Broadstreet...Beautiful production, great songs...but not enough new material.
London Town...There's some quirkiness here that foreshadows McCartney II, but again not enough good songs.
Press to Play...Four or five good songs are not enough to save this mostly dreary effort.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby boney1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 pm

My ranking McCartney solo albums( excluding Wings )

1. BRILLIANT

McCartney II (+ All you horseriders, Check my machine, mr H.Atom/You know I get you baby,
Secret Friend, Blue Sway, Bogie Woble)

2. OUTSTANDING
Chaos and Creation
New
McCartney I

3. TRULY GREAT
Ram
Tug of War
Flaming Pie
Press to Play
Memory allmost full

4. GREAT
Flowers in the dirt
Rushes (fireman)

5. GOOD
Driving Rain
Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest (fireman)
Electric Arguments (fireman)

6. AVERAGE
Off the ground
Pipes of Peace
Run Devil Run
Снова в СССР
Broad Street

Kisses on the bottom
Liverpool Sound Collage

B. edited 8 nov. New climbs / Press to Play falls
Last edited by boney1 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
looking through the backyard of my life, time to sweep the fallen leaves away
boney1

Postby mr h atom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:41 am

:-D
now THAT is a smart list ^:)^

this guy knows his stuff :salute

...i might have a few, minor quibbles...but nothing worth gettin' huffed over...good show, laddie :ymapplause:
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:19 am

mr h atom wrote::-D
now THAT is a smart list ^:)^

this guy knows his stuff :salute

...i might have a few, minor quibbles...but nothing worth gettin' huffed over...good show, laddie :ymapplause:

I never argue about things concerning taste. Well aware I am that My taste and preferences are superior
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 am

:shock: ... :lol:

there ya go...manglin' the lingo again, M...

i know you meant your taste is like a posterior :-D :wink:
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 am

mr h atom wrote::shock: ... :lol:

there ya go...manglin' the lingo again, M...

i know you meant your taste is like a posterior :-D :wink:

Hmmmm...dunno what I mean really-guess that if I was under torture could be forced to say that PTP is a great album. Biggest torture I experienced so far is actually having to listen to that particular album
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions