NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Postby Bluebird » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 am

I think NEW definately is interfering in the battle of the best mccartney albums since the Beatles. I have almost heard it constantly since I bought it. There are plenty of energy, joy and inspiration and it's relevant themes that will be addressed in terms of love, friendship, to make a difference, cherish life, etc. Musically it is somewhat in the same boat as memory almost full, but it's definitely more exciting to follow the lyrics this time. The best since my favorite album flaming pie, and a clear top fiver ago beatles I think. Interesting that his best since Beatles albums are made over the last 20 years. I remember when I participated actively in the debates on the forum, we often shared songs star when Paul made ​​something new. I think, however, it is not particularly relevant at this time since I will give all the songs either 4 or 5 out of 5, apart from Hosanna, which I find particularly interesting, otherwise it is almost exclusively a star-filled album. The highlights are particularly early days and the first 4 numbers and looking at her!
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Re: NEW Song ranking, and album ranking.

Postby mr h atom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:03 am

if i remember right...some highly intelligent person (not me), somewhere around here, recently mused that this seemed like MAF meets EA (hope i'm using the inference correctly)...i kinda like that...

nice overview, B...glad to hear your voice again... :salute

not sure, yet, how it's jostling my top list (def. top 10...maybe, we'll see, on top 5), though it is definatively a real contender..

right now, i just know its not a struggle to appreciate-appreciate-appreciate...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby JimQ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 pm

I feel sorry for Hosanna - I think it was built up too much, and I think the production bells and whistles might be interfering with it for people. I disliked it initially but I really do see it as a real gem now. Probably the highlight. Running from Hosanna to I can bet never fails to make me smile. And the coda of Turned Out, which many people are missing out on :(
JimQ

Postby Bluebird » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm

mr h atom wrote:if i remember right...some highly intelligent person (not me), somewhere around here, recently mused that this seemed like MAF meets EA (hope i'm using the inference correctly)...i kinda like that...

nice overview, B...glad to hear your voice again... :salute

not sure, yet, how it's jostling my top list (def. top 10...maybe, we'll see, on top 5), though it is definatively a real contender..

right now, i just know its not a struggle to appreciate-appreciate-appreciate...
I fully agree that it is very similar to memory almost full, but the two things I like better at NEW is the lyrics and think it seems more inspiring. As if that is more new and original.
I´m glad you also liked the album, and good to hear your voice again also. :)
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Bluebird » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:44 pm

JimQ wrote:I feel sorry for Hosanna - I think it was built up too much, and I think the production bells and whistles might be interfering with it for people. I disliked it initially but I really do see it as a real gem now. Probably the highlight. Running from Hosanna to I can bet never fails to make me smile. And the coda of Turned Out, which many people are missing out on :(

oddly enough, hosanna is the only number on the NEW does not really set itself in my heart, but it may be it comes. APRECIATES did not at first, but I have really started to love the track now. I think Hosanna seems to be normal and boring and something that has been published many times before. Sung too boring and and notes are too high in the chorus I think. Recalls Jenny Wren I think.
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 pm

i had similar thoughts on 'hosanna'...yet, as time has gone on...what, a whole week or so :-D it has grown immensely in my mind and heart...all of this album has...

great stuff...classic album
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:37 am

"Hosanna" definitely suffers from pre-release hype. This was being built up (whether intentionally or un-intentionally) as one of his greatest ballads ever. That alone is a standard virtually NOTHING could live up to.

I'm still having trouble with it. But, who knows? I'll keep listening on occasion and see if it wins me over. So far, nada.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 am

Since I like all the songs on New It s difficult to rank. Give it a try anyway 10/10

Save Us 8
Alligator- 10
On my way to work - 10 plus
Queenie Eye - 8
Early Days - 10 plus
New - 9
Appreciate - 10 plus
Everybody out there 7
Hosannah - 8
I can bet - 9
Lookin at her 9
Road - 10
Turned out - 9
Get me out of here 9
Struggle - 9 plus
Scared - 10 plus
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:34 am

Mattal1958 wrote:"Hosanna" definitely suffers from pre-release hype. This was being built up (whether intentionally or un-intentionally) as one of his greatest ballads ever. That alone is a standard virtually NOTHING could live up to.

I'm still having trouble with it. But, who knows? I'll keep listening on occasion and see if it wins me over. So far, nada.

If this wasn't such a great album overall Hosanna might have indeed been a standout track. Put it on almost any other McCartney album and I think it is just that. I like the song, but I really think the chorus needed to be more powerful than it is. The melody is great (beautiful in fact), but there needed to be more variation from the verse and sung more powerfully. There is a good build up to it, but it just sort of stays at the same pace throughout. There should have been a break then the drums get bigger along with the vocals louder and more passionate. So for me it's like an 8/10 instead of a 9 or a 10 like the rest of the album :lol:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby bravefan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 am

Scared is the most amazing song on here. Total honesty and vulnerability. Really leaving himself out there. It is by far the most powerful song he's done in a long time. The CD though is still not in my top 5. It is growing on me.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions