NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby lobbybobby » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm

chris wrote:Been waiting a lifetime to contribute to this thread...

It's only been one listen...so I don't have much. But here goes...

This is the best initial reaction/impression to a new Paul album I recall having...ever.

It seems to have taken off where the Fireman album left off. If you didn't care for that one, I don't think you'll like this one. But if you do...this one will blow you away.

Love the multiple producers approach...sounds fabulous

Is it me...or is there a track...on the second side...that sounds as if they used old vocals...that is...vocals recorded years ago?

Great news Chris!!!

More great news.....it gets better with every spin.....

I read somewhere that the vocals for the bonus track "turned out" might have been recorded some time ago.
catch up...cats and kittens...don't get left behind...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Congratulations Chris you have been strong-weak as I am. Also happy that you and others here share the complete awe I experienced when I first heard this album. And believe it only gets better.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Can't say I've noticed any old vocals but maybe you're right. Do you know which song?

Anyone noticed the similarity in melody between parts of "On My Way To Work" and "Cow" by Linda McCartney?
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:08 pm

I've not yet seen anyone mention how the main guitar riff from Only Mama Knows is repeated almost exactly on I Can Bet. Deliberate I wonder?
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Jeremy K2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Taken my time here but sometimes us Australians take our time to get around to things!
Usually I like to write a song by song analysis for a new release but on this occasion I see no need.
Having listened only three times now this release can be summed up in one word -BRILLIANCE! :ymapplause:
Jeremy K2

Postby chris » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm

oobujoobu1971 wrote:Can't say I've noticed any old vocals but maybe you're right. Do you know which song?Anyone noticed the similarity in melody between parts of "On My Way To Work" and "Cow" by Linda McCartney?

I Can Bet sounds like a wings tune. in fact...the vocals sound 20 years (or more) old...not saying they are...but it sounds like it. and if I didn't know any better...i'd swear the keyboard solo is a one finger job by the ghost of linda.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Beatlesnews.com says New has reached no.2 on the Japanese charts; the first time a septuagenarian has cracked their top ten.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 pm

New's current chart positions around the world, according to Wogblog:

Japan #1
Norway #1
Denmark #2
USA #3
Germany #6
Sweden #9
Australia #22 (really, Australia?) :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:17 am

Chart placement is good but the actuall numbers of cd: that s shipped shows the fact that most people don t buy records anymore- they download or strream music, nr 3 in the USA but only about 70000 albuns sold.
Internet is the place to be now if you wanna reach as many people as possible. On that arena I must say New is a remarkable succes. The first single reached 1 million hits on you tube in about 2 weeks.
The video of Queenie eye had 700 000 hits in 2 days ( due to the celebrites in it).
Very soon New and Queenie Eye together will have 2 million wiews on You Tube. The biggest popstars of today has more wiews but given Maccas age and the kind of music he plays this showing on the net is remarkable.
With that Said- it s the music that matters but it s good to see that this album actually reach out.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:44 pm

don't downloaded albums count as units sold? i'm not challenging anyone...just asking.

and youtube hits might also count toward units, too.

times they are a changing.

now...where is my 8-track.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions